Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 1, 2018   #31
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
you are highly welcome to Belarus - great forests, plenty of mushrooms, tasty tomatoes, cheap gardening shoes and almost free of bugs))) And we are cheaper in times than Norway And our girls/women are very beautiful!

Last summer I met with David Manski (he is a SSE member from Bar Harbor, Maine) with his wife visiting Minsk. Then they went to our old town Lida in Grodno region. His grandparents were from this place. And his American English was surprisingly clear and not so rapid))
There is new 5 days visa-free rules of visiting our country since the early 2017 if you come via our National Airport Minsk.
All my friends from Tomatoville are welcome)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; February 1, 2018 at 11:30 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Worth,
you are highly welcome to Belarus - great forests, plenty of mushrooms, tasty tomatoes, cheap gardening shoes and almost free of bugs))) And we are cheaper in times than Norway And our girls/women are very beautiful!

Last summer I met with David Manski (he is a SSE member from Bar Harbor, Maine) with his wife visiting Minsk. Then they went to our old town Lida in Grodno region. His grandparents were from this place. And his American English was surprisingly clear and not so rapid))
There is new 5 days visa-free rules of visiting our country since the early 2017 if you come via our National Airport Minsk.
All my friends from Tomatoville are welcome)
I was going to mention your wonderful land but didn't because I didn't want people thinking I was a pervert for liking the beautiful people there.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #33
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Nan, it was someplace warm they had been. probably Mexico somewhere?
Old February 2, 2018   #34
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

As a sometimes runner I have at least three pairs of running shoes in different stages of wear. Other when rototilling when I wear steel toes work boots, the most worn out runners are designated as my garden shoes. This year's edition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7108.jpg (448.8 KB, 102 views)
Old February 2, 2018   #35
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I always wear boots or crocs depending on the activity. Usually boots because the dam fire ants always seem to sting my toes when I wear crocs. They are nearly impossible to get rid of.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When I was in my prime years of growing many hundreds of varieties each year,here's what I did.

I rotated 3 pairs of what we called sneakers back then, canvas ones, I think they were called Keds. When the pair I was wearing turned green then black when picking tomatoes,I threw that pair out and went to the next new ones, repeat sequence.

When planting out those seedling I'd raised which I did by crawling down a row in my dungarees, now called jeans, that part was over and done with.

Most of the summer when the days were hot I'd wear shorts and when picking fruits the shorts got grimy as well,time to put on new shorts.

But when we had torrential downpours and water collected in the low spots in my field I'd go out there with a hoe to make drainaged itches, and I wore no shoes at all.

So that's my story about garden shoes, as it was for many decades.

Carolyn
Old February 2, 2018   #37
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I'd really like to see your photoes in keds and shorts from those days

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old February 2, 2018   #38
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I wear crocs in my chicken yard and in the garden. They're great. And I can just hose them off.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #39
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPeppa View Post
I wear crocs in my chicken yard and in the garden. They're great. And I can just hose them off.
I tried that once. on a slippery slope with chicken manure you fall fast and hard.
Old February 2, 2018   #40
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

The crocs in the OP look like something I would like for the wet seasons because they have slip proof soles, unlike the originals. Too bad they don't suit my feet.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Carolyn, I'd really like to see your photoes in keds and shorts from those days
Let me clarify for you Andrey.

I wore BERMUDA shorts which come down to just above the knee and were the boxy kind,not clinging to your leg above the knee,no Short Shorts for me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=berm...&bih=815&dpr=1

Do you know where Bermuda is, I know you like history?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Isla...&bih=815&dpr=1

Even today the island has an English heritage,tea and scones at four, etc.

Carolyn
Old February 2, 2018   #42
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I own one pair of running shoes that I wear everywhere. When they get worn, I buy another pair and the worn ones become the new gardening shoes.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2018   #43
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, of course, I know how Bermuda shorts look like and geography was one of the most favorite subjects for me at school.

Where are photoes of Carolyn in bermudas and keds?!

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; February 3, 2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old February 3, 2018   #44
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

If I need to run outside quick then I'll slip on garden clogs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-Un...gtw7G1rXxXm6JA

but otherwise it's a decent pair of wellies all the way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-DUNL...V2L8FeA5BZ1jsA
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2018   #45
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had a hard time finding a perfect shoe for gardening here. We have a lot of rain and a ton of fire ants so I needed some protection and preferably waterproof shoes especially in cold weather. I still sometimes wear old running type sneakers but they tend to collect too much debris in the overly complex treads on the soles which is very hard to clean without using a hose and then you end up with wet shoes which cannot be used comfortably until they dry. The one good thing about them is they are comfortable but they don't protect from moisture very well and they wear out way too fast. I found boots too hot most of the year down here and tiring due to the extra weight and not very comfortable for long periods. I have foot issues from arthritis and high arches so I needed something that helped in that regard and until I found Merrrell's waterproof slip in shoe I had to rely mostly on worn sneakers. I have used Crocs and Croc type shoes but found them uncomfortable, slippery and easily invaded by fire ants and they just don't give my feet the support they need.

I found what I think is the perfect garden shoe about 5 or 6 years ago. I know it is expensive but if you have foot problems and need the protection these shoes are fantastic. They last a long time and as a matter of fact I still wear the first pair I bought but have since bought two more pair though one has not been worn in the garden yet. My first pair started losing a bit of its waterproof ability after three years but only under the worst wet conditions and the small tread is pretty worn down now so they are not the ones I wear when it is really wet and slick. They have a decent amount of tread which works great for me and before going inside I just hose of the bottoms without worry. They are nice and warm in the winter and wet conditions but not too hot for our blistering summer days. I am currently wearing my first pair and fixing to head out in the wet garden as soon as the drizzle stops.

This is the one that I wear but they have one that is designed for more icy and cold conditions than I have to deal with.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/jungle...rproof&start=1

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote