Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 22, 2017   #46
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleInWASt View Post
Well, okay, green actually, and just a little bigger than a pea.

This is my first year ever growing tomatoes, and I spotted my the first tomato on one of my plants today, a Sungold.

I was pretty surprised, given that I planted seeds WAY too early and therefore had to keep the plants in, crowded under the lights, far too long. And, given our record-rain-even-for-Pacific-Northwest spring, this poor plant has only seen about five days of actual sun since I planted it out.

I have three housemates, all of them likewise involved in the tomato-growing project, so I'm visualizing a ceremonial quartering and tasting ceremony of this first little tomato when it's ripe. Perhaps with champagne and a few words.

Then again, we have lots of wild critters, so by that time it may be birds or raccoons popping the corks and saying a few words (very quietly, in the dead of night) as they make off with our first tomato...

Good thing there are four of us. We may need to assign shifts and post sentries.
I am losing four to five tomatoes a day to the birds and squirrels, I am putting up bird netting this week.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2017   #47
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I'm surprised at how early my first large fruit was ripe. I picked a very large Neves Azorean Red at full blush and let it ripen on the porch to full red. I don't know if I have ever gotten a one and half pound tomato in less than sixty days before. I don't believe Neves Azorean Red has ever been my first ripe tomato and it is also the largest I have ever gotten for a first ripe tomato. It made some fantastic BLTs to go with a pot of white peas out of the freezer.

It is just today 60 days since setting out my plants and I have already picked 3 Neves Azorean Reds, 2 Brandywine Cowlicks, and six others from various varieties. We got a good bit of rain yesterday and it is predicted to rain for the next 4 or 5 days so I may have a lot of split fruit with so many tomatoes getting to the picking stage just as a lot of rain moves in. If I see any skin splitting on larger fruits I am going to pick them even if they are still green because with at least four more days of good rain predicted they will bust if I don't and they will be useless. From the radar it looks like more rain is coming in the next hour or so. I am going out to check my rain gauge and plants before I am unable.

I hope the good production continues throughout the season for everyone and may the pests be few and the foliage diseases rare and mild.

Bill
Neve's and Gregories Altai were my first two to pick, Neve's was good but Gregories won the taste test by a mile.

I notice yesterday that in my second group that I planted out, Neve's had over 10 fruits. Really surprised, it is next to big beef and is a little ahead at this point.

Overall my second group of plants have more fruit than the first group.

The third group of plants have started to flower.
Old May 23, 2017   #48
00mimi00
Tomatovillian™

Hello,I'm envious of your early harvest. I was searching the forums for any tips on Marianna's Peace tomato because mine is over 6 feet tall in it's smart pot and yet I only have 3 fruits. Also have a whole lot of nubs that don't seem to be growing. I'm not sure what's happening since the weather has been good tomato weather for North Texas so far. I see your experience is similar. ANy changes to MP?

My other tomatoes

Cream Sausage - about 3 dozen still green a few going pale, ripening. These came in fast and early but look to be slowing down now
Creoles - 2 plants about 15 tomatoes each, all sizes a couple are at the one pound size it looks like
Lucid Gem- a dozen or so, their blue color is starting on their bottoms but still green and small
Snow White Cherry - many trusses with small fruit starting to come in
New Big Dwarf - one has nothing and one has 4 but I planted these two weeks later than the others
Genuwine (Brandywine x Genovese Costoluto - impulse purchase at the nursery when I told myself no more, but I got it anyway. Transplanted 3/26, I think I saw one fruit

Last year I planted right at the end of February and I had quite a few ripe tomatoes Memorial Day. This year all new varieties and I transplanted 3/12 and 3/26. I wish I planted earlier. I am impatient for tomatoes. I made the mistake of buying one heirloom at the Whole Foods. Of course, it was disappointing and had no taste. Looking at your harvest I know it's just a little more time.
00mimi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #49
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

It has been a great year so far. Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, Kosovo, Wes, Rutgers, Kelloggs West Virginia (thanks to Container Ted....wonderful tomato), Opalaka, Stump, Dona
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mater 2017 cropped.jpg (663.3 KB, 135 views)
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #50
00mimi00
Tomatovillian™

Wow!! Have you grown those varieties before? I have seed packets of have CP (oxheart), Opalka & Rutgers. Looks like a lot of Cherokee Purple Which is the most delicious of your harvest so far?
Old May 23, 2017   #51
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

This is all I got so far. Celebrity, a few Romas and some cherry

IMG_0276.JPG
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #52
00mimi00
Tomatovillian™

Mine are slow and not ripe yet but they should be the first ones ready. I hope it makes good salsa.

"Cream Sausage"
20170523_Cream Sausage 2.jpg

Last edited by 00mimi00; May 23, 2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added tomato plant name
Old May 23, 2017   #53
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

00mimi00 ............That picture was taken last week. ....that table in the background is now also full of tomato's. I grow CP, and Indian stripe every year. They are my go to tomato. For some reason they produce tons of fruit. This years crop has been my best crop in 4 years. We have not had too much rain, so the flavor, and texture is much superior to previous years. My favorite tomato so far is Kelloggs West Virginia. Container ted sent me the seed. I am very, very impressed!!!!! Thank you Ted!!!!!! I will be saving seed for sure. I only planted one KWV plant. I am still waiting on Dona f1 (seed from cwavc) Thank you Stephen!!!! I am also waiting Brandywine Cowlick to ripen. Can't wait. Thanks again to Container ted for the seed. 00mimi00 to answer your question on what is best..........they are all really good to be honest!!
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #54
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00mimi00 View Post
Hello,I'm envious of your early harvest. I was searching the forums for any tips on Marianna's Peace tomato because mine is over 6 feet tall in it's smart pot and yet I only have 3 fruits. Also have a whole lot of nubs that don't seem to be growing. I'm not sure what's happening since the weather has been good tomato weather for North Texas so far. I see your experience is similar. ANy changes to MP?

My other tomatoes

Cream Sausage - about 3 dozen still green a few going pale, ripening. These came in fast and early but look to be slowing down now
Creoles - 2 plants about 15 tomatoes each, all sizes a couple are at the one pound size it looks like
Lucid Gem- a dozen or so, their blue color is starting on their bottoms but still green and small
Snow White Cherry - many trusses with small fruit starting to come in
New Big Dwarf - one has nothing and one has 4 but I planted these two weeks later than the others
Genuwine (Brandywine x Genovese Costoluto - impulse purchase at the nursery when I told myself no more, but I got it anyway. Transplanted 3/26, I think I saw one fruit

Last year I planted right at the end of February and I had quite a few ripe tomatoes Memorial Day. This year all new varieties and I transplanted 3/12 and 3/26. I wish I planted earlier. I am impatient for tomatoes. I made the mistake of buying one heirloom at the Whole Foods. Of course, it was disappointing and had no taste. Looking at your harvest I know it's just a little more time.
I planted 9 plants on February 25th and after the initial fruit set, they stopped producing. most of are getting ripe, Chapman is lagging behind and the squirrels got all of the marianna's peace. I have lots of the tiny tomatoes that did not develop on most of the plants.

I planted 4 plants on March 18th and they have set more fruit per plant than the first 9 plants, none are ripe yet.

I planted 6 plants on May 5th and they are flowering.

With the warm weather I am planting earlier. I start from seed and this year I am will have four or five groups of plants set out monthly in hopes of getting tomatoes all summer and fall. I read somewhere that planting multiple times during the season would offer the best production and best chance for tomatoes all season.
Old May 23, 2017   #55
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
It has been a great year so far. Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, Kosovo, Wes, Rutgers, Kelloggs West Virginia (thanks to Container Ted....wonderful tomato), Opalaka, Stump, Dona
If I had that many tomatoes I could make a whole bunch of new friends
Old May 23, 2017   #56
00mimi00
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rumor View Post
With the warm weather I am planting earlier. I start from seed and this year I am will have four or five groups of plants set out monthly in hopes of getting tomatoes all summer and fall. I read somewhere that planting multiple times during the season would offer the best production and best chance for tomatoes all season.
Been rather curious about fall tomatoes and how they fare for this area. I too grow from seed, except for my impulse Genuwine. I halfway tried to get fall tomatoes a couple years ago by growing in July and it was a fail. Personally, I felt I should've started earlier in mid-June, to get those fall tomatoes...it's so much work starting from seed when it's summer I may cut down my spent vines and dose it with magnesium, kelp and some other stuff from my witches brew of fertilizers and see if I can keep em shaded, hydrated and alive through the August heat to possibly get more tomatoes. I'm debating if it's worth the work
Old May 23, 2017   #57
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00mimi00 View Post
Been rather curious about fall tomatoes and how they fare for this area. I too grow from seed, except for my impulse Genuwine. I halfway tried to get fall tomatoes a couple years ago by growing in July and it was a fail. Personally, I felt I should've started earlier in mid-June, to get those fall tomatoes...it's so much work starting from seed when it's summer I may cut down my spent vines and dose it with magnesium, kelp and some other stuff from my witches brew of fertilizers and see if I can keep em shaded, hydrated and alive through the August heat to possibly get more tomatoes. I'm debating if it's worth the work
I am not sure if I can grow fall tomatoes, but I am gonna give it a shot
Old May 24, 2017   #58
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

I just started cherry tomato seeds for a row this Summer/Fall. Fall slicers have been more miss than hit for me. Porter might be fun too.
Old May 24, 2017   #59
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Carmello

5-24-17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0524171354_HDR.jpg (570.2 KB, 103 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #60
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Box Car Willie

5-24-17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0524171353_HDR.jpg (532.7 KB, 101 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant production