Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 8, 2017   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default BRUSCHETTA today

I have had so many tomato sandwiches, sliced tomatoes, chili, and so many other quick meals designed around using our tomatoes, but today for lunch comes my favorite ,,, good bruschetta. Yesterday, we picked up a good French baguette from California and the olive oil. I'm probably one of the few who do not care for Balsamic vinegar, so I'll have to come up with and alternative. The basil and parsley will come from my herb garden. That only leaves the garlic and Vidalia onion.

Unfortunately, the garlic will come out of a jar. Wish there were a nutty, rich , sweet version of garlic without the cloying, biting flavor of any available here.

I think I will use a medley of different tomatoes. I'm too cheap to pay over five dollars for a tiny chunk of fresh parmesan, so will use a substitute. I would use a touch of olives, but then the wife would not touch it. This will be my lunch. Lately, either the tomato sandwich or a salad has been lunch, so this will be a pleasant change with a LOT of flavor nuances.

I'm thinking of first rubbing garlic on the bread with a touch of olive oil before doing a light bit of toasting before adding the tomato mixture, which will be done in advance and allowed to marinate and cool. Ideas?
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yum. This is one of my favorite things to do with fresh tomatoes. You are going to have an excellent lunch!
Old August 8, 2017   #3
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm probably one of the few who do not care for Balsamic vinegar,
I don't dislike it, but it's so strong (and the good stuff so expensive) that I use it sparingly.

I recommend that you pick up some sherry vinegar. I've been using it more and more. Not always easy to find, though.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #4
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Fortunately, I have sherry and many other vinegars that I made years ago. I'm thinking of using the mixture like a pico de gallo after the bruschetta, by just adding some cilantro, lime and a tough of chili powder. Then, I can make up a mix of my pork and chili I made earlier ...in a tortilla wrapper.
Old August 8, 2017   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

If you want to lessen the sharpness bite of garlic, roast it. It becomes much more creamy and while still a strong taste, not overwhelming or sharp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #6
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the idea! I used to put my garlic in the microwave to help get the outer skins off, but a couple years ago started using the bottled stuff when I had problems with my hands. Trouble with all of the pre-ground bottled garlic is the flavor is horrible. I tried to grow it once, but, even after growing over winter it never reached a decent size. Then, when I tried to dry it everything dried to dust. I wish they grew some new brand down in Vidalia!!!
Old August 8, 2017   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

I roast whole heads drizzled in some olive oil; sometimes I break the cloves out, some times not. They get "squishable" and creamy and you can squeeze them out onto bread, like a lovely yummy garlic paste.

When I roast chicken, I drop an excessive amount, truly excessive LOL!, down in the pan to roast in the chicken fat as it renders. Put in a jar in the 'fridge and top it off with olive oil to keep on hand. The olive oil, after you use up the garlic will be fragrant with the taste and smell of the garlic.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

So let me get this straight.
You used a french bread to make an Italian dish.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #9
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

The starter on my gas oven is out Worth, so I can't bake. Same is true of my gas logs...I think something is wrong with the thermo-coupler. Just paid out 1200.00 on the wife's car for repairs, and now she needs some tires.

I use French bread because a good California loaf of French bread has vastly more flavor and the crunchy crust I love. Italian bread here is all tasteless, with a horrible, soft texture and crust.

Imp, that approach to garlic would make a delicious spread before adding the tomato mix.
Old August 9, 2017   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I make a bruschetta topping (yes, topping because bruschetta is really just toasted/charred bread), that's simple and uses no vinegar or onions. It's diced tomatoes, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, olive oil, and basil. If I want to make more of a meal out of it, I add diced fresh mozzarella.

I have made it a few times over the winter using Campari tomatoes from the grocery store and it was okay, but I'm really looking forward to the first of the year made with my own tomatoes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017   #11
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

That sounds great,you have me hungry and it's 4:30AM getting ready for work wanting some for breakfast. lol
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017   #12
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I guess that if you travel the world there are very few places that don't have bread and something whether in France for breakfast, Tapas in Spain, or wherever with whatever.