Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2017   #31
MissS
Tomatovillian™
 
MissS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,940
Default

Wood ash is not the same as muriate of potash, although it does contain plenty of potassium. Muriate of potash will supply you with potassium but will not correct your PH. Wood ash will move your mix towards alkaline and supply you with potassium.
__________________
~ Patti ~
AKA - Hooper
Zone 5
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017   #32
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,944
Default

Be careful, too much lime can really throw nutrient uptake off. I use .75 to 1 cup of lime for a 7 gallon pot of promix, and 1.5 cups tomato tone. No pine bark, not needed, plenty of aeration from the perlite already in the Promix. No extra perlite. The mix is simple, and effective. I also supplement every 2 weeks with 1tsp. calcinit and 1/4 tsp. epsom salts mixed per gallon of water.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017   #33
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Wood ash is not the same as muriate of potash, although it does contain plenty of potassium. Muriate of potash will supply you with potassium but will not correct your PH. Wood ash will move your mix towards alkaline and supply you with potassium.
Wood ash sounds like it might be a good way to correct pH.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™
 
Tormato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Wood ash is not the same as muriate of potash, although it does contain plenty of potassium. Muriate of potash will supply you with potassium but will not correct your PH. Wood ash will move your mix towards alkaline and supply you with potassium.
Hooper, the new avatar is ...I can't find the words.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017   #35
MissS
Tomatovillian™
 
MissS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Hooper, the new avatar is ...I can't find the words.
I know what you mean.


Kinda disturbing.....
__________________
~ Patti ~
AKA - Hooper
Zone 5
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017   #36
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 52
Default

I need to get a fire place to make some wood ash!
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017   #37
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBert View Post
I need to get a fire place to make some wood ash!
I know! Good thread, right? How about a wood fire pizza place, there's lots if those to get ash from, I think. Or campfires? Or a metal trash can to burn some wood? We're Floridians, we don't know from fireplaces, lol.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017   #38
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I know! Good thread, right? How about a wood fire pizza place, there's lots if those to get ash from, I think. Or campfires? Or a metal trash can to burn some wood? We're Floridians, we don't know from fireplaces, lol.

I have a little Weber grill. I also have some wood chips for my smoker. Voila, smoke some tomatoes and I have wood ash. We don't need no stinking fireplaces
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #39
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Be careful, too much lime can really throw nutrient uptake off. I use .75 to 1 cup of lime for a 7 gallon pot of promix, and 1.5 cups tomato tone. No pine bark, not needed, plenty of aeration from the perlite already in the Promix. No extra perlite. The mix is simple, and effective. I also supplement every 2 weeks with 1tsp. calcinit and 1/4 tsp. epsom salts mixed per gallon of water.
Well I think I did exactly what you warned me not to. pH is over 7 approached 8 and I have dropped a bunch of blossoms. The plants seem healthy and growing otherwise, but I'm not getting a lot of fruit formed lately.
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #40
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBert View Post
Well I think I did exactly what you warned me not to. pH is over 7 approached 8 and I have dropped a bunch of blossoms. The plants seem healthy and growing otherwise, but I'm not getting a lot of fruit formed lately.
Oh dear, I think this is your learning curve year.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #41
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™
 
AlittleSalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zone 8A Texas Heat Zone 9
Posts: 12,189
Default

I was thinking about this thread today, and well, you answered my question. I was going to ask if there was any improvement.

I'm starting to think every year is a learning curve one. I guess that's part of the fun of gardening though.
__________________
Salt, AlittleSalt, Robert
AlittleSalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #42
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 52
Default

It not really terrible, I have a fair amount of fruit on the vines.
I have a GGWT and it seems that almost all the fruit has cat facing? Is this variety prone to cat facing? Any idea what causes it?
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #43
ginger2778
Florida TAG™ Coordinator
 
ginger2778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plantation, Florida zone 10
Posts: 8,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBert View Post
It not really terrible, I have a fair amount of fruit on the vines.
I have a GGWT and it seems that almost all the fruit has cat facing? Is this variety prone to cat facing? Any idea what causes it?
Pretty common trait with GGWT at the blossom end. Might be genetic, that's what I think.
__________________
Marsha

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

#metoo

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time”. Maya Angelou
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #44
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Pretty common trait with GGWT at the blossom end. Might be genetic, that's what I think.
Ok, that’s good to know
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★