Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2011   #16
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Good for you, Tom!

The F2 and F3's look like a lot of fun - your descriptions are great!

My order went through with no problem.

You realize, of course, you will probably not be getting much sleep from now on.

@ Carolyn... here is a direct link to the F2/F3 page...
http://newworldcrops.com/wp/shop/tom...f2f3-tomatoes/

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #17
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Nice website! That is quite a list of tomatoes. It looks like you have been very busy. I can't wait to see the descriptions. The Box Car Willie x OTV looks interesting.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #18
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I have hundreds of varieties more to list and add to the others, but I don't have the know how to operated the administrator function to put PayPal on each of those tomatoes. Rob is waiting on me to give him inventories on each of those tomatoes so that PayPal will stop offering the seed when it is out of stock. I have been trying to get other seed in envelopes to mail out and I am swamped with answering emails, taking phone calls and forum actions.

Since I am not claiming intellectual ownership or IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) on potatoes or tomatoes....however... I am trying to stay out of trouble with the FOA CIP Treaty on potato germplasm. Got a call from Pamela K. Anderson...head of the CIP in Peru...yes a long distance call...that sales of true seed of a Peruvian land race may be subject to a stipend returned to the Andean farmers.

I then talked with Dr. John Bamberg to address this potential problem...He had no concern of any restriction but would let me know later if anything in the MTA agreement would be relative.

Like I told my Webmaster partner...I had to get some lists of tomatoes on the site even though they were not click-able to buy by PayPal yet.

Having trouble downloading a Lexmark printer function so I can print labels. No one can read my scribbles that are supposed to pass for actual names!!! lol.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #19
troad
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Thank you for filling my order so quickly. Cannot wait to get them started and will be revisiting your site to see what you have added.
I have long thought it would be great to grow plants bred by somebody of your expertise. Glad you decided to take the plunge.

Len

Old February 13, 2011   #20
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Great Tom, I just ordered two varieties of your "premium" tomato seeds this week-end. I look forward to trying some of your work.
Al
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011   #21
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
The website should have been completed last year but much of the paperwork...tax ID number, resellers license, paypal setup, bank account, and structure of the website slowed down progress.

I will be adding information slower than I would like as I have to fill orders already.

There is so much I want to include in the catalog but too much pedigree info will bog it down, Keeping it simple is hard for me to do. I would like to include each of the dozens and dozens of the parental tomato names that go into the crosses and selfings. But a simple name is better than a long dissertation of the history of a variety.

I have a virtual Ancestry.com ancestor chart for many of my tomatoes like this ...
http://c.mfcreative.com/pdf/trees/charts/anchart.pdf
and my tomato and potato pedigree history would read like Queen Victoria's royal family history, inbreeding and all.

Tom Wagner
Tom,

I ordered Gold Keeper; Sweet Baboo; and Dancing with the Smurfs. In your "catalog" you seemed to hint that you would be adding more information as you sent out the orders. Is this true?
Old February 17, 2011   #22
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Received my seeds today. Woo Hoo! Looking forward to growing "Pennsylvania Catchfly" and "Fahrenheit Blues", I'll hope to post results this Summer.
Luther Burbank
Old February 18, 2011   #23
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I too received my first order from Tom, so no problem receiving seeds from across the pond. This is a wonderful opportunity for folks to go on the "Dark Side" in regards to getting new crosses (for us) from Tom Wagner and participate in growing out the new varieties. Ami
Old February 20, 2011   #24
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here are some pics of the seed packs I received from Tom. Seed count for these special varieties is 15 as stated on the package but as you can see this particular variety was twice that. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF2958.JPG (72.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF2959.JPG (70.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg PC-DSCF2964.JPG (82.7 KB, 80 views)
Old February 20, 2011   #25
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Just received my second order from Tom. (This time some of the premium varieties) Again, great service! I'm anxious to try out some of the new varieties.

For Carolyn, and anyone else who can't click on the menu dropdown, here is a direct link to the premium tomatoes:
http://newworldcrops.com/wp/shop/premium-tomatoes/

I see he listed a few more varieties a few days ago.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #26
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Pokhipsie TPS has sprouted using the coffee filter and baggie method.

First time growing these. Tiny seedlings, and I thought tomatoes were tiny.

Also, in tomatoes, Mix of Two, Green Lantern Lights (100%), and Matts Folly have germinated. Waiting on Searching for the Blue Zebra to germinate, it's being stubborn for me.

Can't wait to see what these all look like when grown.

Thanks Tom.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011   #27
Tom Wagner

I am so glad I did not list more varieties of tomatoes and potatoes (TPS).

There is just me to fill orders and I am overwhelmed with orders.

BTW, if anything goes wrong with any germination, just let me know and I will send seed of any other variety just to make amends. My tomato flat to test germination has everyone of those varieties listed growing like weeds.

Thank goodness, the sales go into the LLC to support the further research. The fact is that seed money is just that. I don't have a chance to spend it on myself. Now if I can just find a way to get an income.

Tom Wagner
Old February 21, 2011   #28
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I looked there and was tempted on Fahrenheit Blues, but making myself wait until next year on getting anything more than what I've already got and have on order, as I plan on starting tomato seeds next week, and probably already have too many varieties.

That description "The hotter the temperature and the hotter the sun, the bluer the tomatoes. The hotter the temperatures—the sweeter the flavors." around here, the temp and sun can get real hot.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011   #29
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
I am so glad I did not list more varieties of tomatoes and potatoes (TPS).

There is just me to fill orders and I am overwhelmed with orders.

BTW, if anything goes wrong with any germination, just let me know and I will send seed of any other variety just to make amends. My tomato flat to test germination has everyone of those varieties listed growing like weeds.

Thank goodness, the sales go into the LLC to support the further research. The fact is that seed money is just that. I don't have a chance to spend it on myself. Now if I can just find a way to get an income.

Tom Wagner
Well, Tom I am glad I've become aware of your site and work. I will have to stop at thirty varieties this season to grow out but as soon and I can more afford and as you post new varieties I hope to obtain many more of your strains as the year goes on for future growing. I would like a small seed library of your varieties to choose and save from. I'm not sure if more and more sales will eventually help on the income side but that is what I hope to do and would expect the same from others.
Luther Burbank
Old February 21, 2011   #30
Tom Wagner

Quote:
The fruits are highly sensitive to temperature and light exposure getting darker with more sunlight and higher temps.
That is a quote from Darrel Jones

Darrel was referring to a blue tomato about two years ago or more. Fast forward.....put that description on a sweet indeterminate cherry tomato that went through the selection process, maybe not near Palmdale, but near Indio, Bakersfield, Buttonwillow, Paso Robles, Shields Avenue and I-5, and parts further north in California.

Combining the color blue with the heat tolerant red cherry tomato occurred here in the PNW. Selfing was easy enough to do, but coming up with a really HOT BLUE was another chore of sorts. Outdoors in my neck of the woods, I rarely get warm temperatures to develop sweetness in tomatoes.....had I done so with this family of segregating progenies in the cold outdoors I might have called it Cool Blues. But the Fahrenheit Blues picked up its moniker in the hot greenhouse along the Snohomish River.

Cherry tomatoes are capable of tolerating the hot days of California....and it remains to be proven that my Fahrenheit Blues will perform as I expect it to in the State.

One of my pet peeves (
a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it) is that many potential varieties never make to be released because of the perception that the variety was not ready. Not 100% stable. I think it is better to allow folks to decide on their own whether or not a new variety is ready. Who wants to wait years for a variety to come out and be disappointed that they had no say in the matter when the variety vanishes?

Tom Wagner