Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 15, 2017   #76
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Chowder update.
I am having some for breakfast and it may very well be one of the best I have ever had.
Yeah I know some of you are getting tired of hearing/reading me say that but what can I say.
You may have noticed the complete lack of spices I put in it besides whit pepper and garlic powder.
Some things stand on their own.
To me chowder is one of them.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017   #77
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is a recipe for some summer sausage I made with wine in it.
Forgot all about it.
http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?...02&postcount=4

Worth
Old January 16, 2017   #78
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have beef short ribs that are half way through a 60 hour Sous Vide cook. When they are done, they will be quick chilled and refrigerated. Next weekend they will be reheated and served with a Guinness Stout glaze over grits.

I'm making enough for four as it's my son's birthday next weekend and we're hoping to have him and his wife over for dinner. They gave us the Sous Vide cooker for Christmas and I want to show them what it can do.

I just found a recipe for a Sous Vide maple bacon infused bourbon that is done in a mason jar (no evaporation=no alcohol loss!). Might make some of that as well for cocktails before dinner.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #79
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
I cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food
W.C.Fields

I'll second that! Do I hear a third??

Old Chef
Aye aye Capn, we have a third here!
A little wine will clear my palette and allow me to think savory thoughts while I cook.
It is not a regular item in my food budget, but the first treat to appear whenever the budget elasticity permits.

I love to cook with wine and after our discussion on Cheap Eaten I read up some 'real' recipes for Coq au Vin and Beef Bourgignon. One C au V recipe recommended chicken thighs, and a eureka moment for my next bulk cooking as I have gotten very tired of curry just now. I decided to omit bacon but splurged on a pack of button mushrooms (it's been a long time!) as well as a cheapest available red - $11 on special, a Hardy's cab-shiraz, to deal with the lurking pack of thighs in my freezer.. I also had a small pack of stewing beef lurking there, so made a little pot on the side of stovetop version Beef B.

What I noticed about these recipes (presumably authentic and french) is that they differ from the mediterranean style of similar dishes (picked up in Catalunya) by a couple of things. (1) using flour to thicken the sauce (2) addition of butter and bacon. ok I did omit both butter and bacon. and (3) they use onions and shallots but no garlic Of course I added garlic. and (4) maybe just me/my own style of cooking, but it seemed that there were extra steps and dishes involved to first cook meats a bit, then remove it and cook onions/mushrooms, then make a proper sauce with roux, and finally combine it all and cook to finish. I decided to follow the steps as given. to see if it was worth it.

Well the meats were both super tender and tasty as is always the case with wine. What is interesting, the button mushrooms being fried with the usual alliums, bay leaf and thyme in the pan that meat was seared in, before deglazing with wine, the mushrooms really took up the meat flavors instead of tasting of garlic-bay-thyme-wine. In fact the herbs took a back seat entirely in the flavor department. Admittedly, these mushrooms were quite delicious in their own right.

But I am still stuck on the Catalan style mushrooms, as an ultimate flavor. Just saute them in olive oil with lots of garlic, a bay leaf and thyme, then add plenty of red wine and gently simmer to perfection. Also the simple method which I've done many times with beef in a large pot, to sear the beef along with the alliums/bay/thyme in olive oil and then just add mushrooms into it, saute all a few minutes more with a bit of extra garlic grated on the rasp, then add wine and simmer, makes a very respectable stew.

Coq au vin definitely got a thumbs up for bulk cooking of those ever-on-special chicken thighs though. And happy to have some meals of it stashed away in the freezer.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #80
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I have beef short ribs that are half way through a 60 hour Sous Vide cook. When they are done, they will be quick chilled and refrigerated. Next weekend they will be reheated and served with a Guinness Stout glaze over grits.

I'm making enough for four as it's my son's birthday next weekend and we're hoping to have him and his wife over for dinner. They gave us the Sous Vide cooker for Christmas and I want to show them what it can do.

I just found a recipe for a Sous Vide maple bacon infused bourbon that is done in a mason jar (no evaporation=no alcohol loss!). Might make some of that as well for cocktails before dinner.
Yum. A bit of bourbon in this pork belly recipe might be great. Or later as a glaze.

I do use bourbon in holiday cranberry sauce from an old FoodandWine recipe. And Bourbon pecan pie.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/s...elly-buns.html
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #81
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I just found a recipe for a Sous Vide maple bacon infused bourbon that is done in a mason jar (no evaporation=no alcohol loss!).
Whoa! Might have to get me one of them almost boilers.

60 hours!?!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #82
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Whoa! Might have to get me one of them almost boilers.

60 hours!?!

At 134 degrees Fahrenheit you reportedly get super tender steak-like texture after 48 hours, and fall apart braised texture at the 72 hour mark. I'm splitting the difference.

And since I'm using my largest pot, I can throw in and cook other things that need the same temp for a shorter amount of time. Yesterday I added in a couple of small vacuum sealed pork tenderloins that were rubbed and oiled. Pulled after four hours and seared in a cast iron skillet. My husband said if he didn't know it was pork, he would swear it was a pricey beef roast.

What we didn't eat last night will be put in a ziplock bag and dropped back in the pot for nice and even reheating to the perfect temperature.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #83
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Brilliant for pork. I can go about other things not tending a stove top braising. Prep some roasty root veggies, clean up the kitchen, tend some plants or visit the garden, run and errand, read a book, and dinner is ready when i want it. A window of time, 2-3 hours it is perfectly cooked and waiting in its heat bath.sous vide pork.jpg

Last edited by oakley; January 16, 2017 at 02:51 PM.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #84
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have some cubed up chuck roast I flipped in flour and browned in a big cast iron skillet.
After it was browned I cut up some celery tossed it in and it is swimming in a big hot covered pool of Madeira.
Later I will cut up some onion and bell peppers to go in it.

Worth
Old January 17, 2017   #85
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Last night's goulash made with Madeira.
One Habanero hot Hungarian paprika paprika red and green bell peppers onion celery garlic powder chuck roast browned in flour.
Allowed to reduce down and then the macaroni was added along with the peppers.
Some water was added and allowed to simmer till thick.
Worth
IMG_20170117_1759.jpg
Old January 17, 2017   #86
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Cooking with stones...Caldo de Piedra, Oaxaca

Here's one for you Worth, practice your Spanish. As the guy dines at the table around 4:00, I imagine that's what your aiming at when you sit down. Next he visits a stand with "aguas frescas" where she mentions a Figleaf Gourd drink, the cheese stand, and finally gets the step by step on making a simple, yet sublimely flavored stew, with red hot stones as the heat source INSIDE the stew.

https://youtu.be/75jW4CliMoM?t=1m13s
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #87
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gerardo, I got, "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #88
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Gerardo, I got, "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
Same here
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #89
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Bummer, do a search within youtube using "caldo de piedra oaxaca" +/- "ruta del sabor" length of vid is 23:39.

If it doesn't show up, try this one, the roughin' it version. Nobody sings on the tune (except for a simulated bull here and there), volume off works just as well.

https://youtu.be/8EXqTaQxwUY
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #90
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Seen the hot stone cooking method some time ago.
Also cooking around volcanic vents.
Worth