Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 20, 2016   #1
Grayson
Tomatovillian™

Default White substance in soil

Last Tuesday, 2 of my co-workers came by for lunch. As I was cleaning up, I noticed a few seconds too late that one of them was pouring down the remains of his milk drink onto one of my tomato buckets saying it was good for the plant. Having googled immediately after that milk does indeed prevent powdery mildew (but as a foliar), I thought nothing more of it. But when I came back the follwing evening, I noticed this white coating over the area where the milk was poured.

I just want to know if this is a normal process of the soil breaking down the milk byproducts. If it isn't, how do I remedy it?

This was the milk used:
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Last Tuesday, 2 of my co-workers came by for lunch. As I was cleaning up, I noticed a few seconds too late that one of them was pouring down the remains of his milk drink onto one of my tomato buckets saying it was good for the plant. Having googled immediately after that milk does indeed prevent powdery mildew (but as a foliar), I thought nothing more of it. But when I came back the follwing evening, I noticed this white coating over the area where the milk was poured.

I just want to know if this is a normal process of the soil breaking down the milk byproducts. If it isn't, how do I remedy it?

This was the milk used:
Just scrape off the white stuff and all will be fine.

Especially when folks are growing their tomatoes in containers or grobags,molds of different colors can occasionally appear,again,just scrape off and if too much needs to be scaped off,since you can see the fine white lines of the mold growth,again,add more mix.

Carolyn
Old July 21, 2016   #3
Grayson
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Will there be any ill effects if I let it be (or wait for the sun to come out and do its job)? I wasn't able to scrape off the soil since it was raining hard outside. It actually turned green now.

I'm still boggled as to how that milk was able to trigger such a reaction.
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Cool stuff eh?

When you are done with your dairy containers, give them a rinse and pour that onto your container plants. It promotes microbiological parties, and your plant will appreciate it.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It is the sugars and other stuff in the milk that started going.
If you want to kill it you can spray it with a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide.
One part peroxide to nine parts water more or less.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Thanks! Will there be any ill effects if I let it be (or wait for the sun to come out and do its job)? I wasn't able to scrape off the soil since it was raining hard outside. It actually turned green now.

I'm still boggled as to how that milk was able to trigger such a reaction.
If you look at my post above you'll see that I mentioned that molds of different colors might appear,and what you got was a mold that had green spores.

It could be an Aspergillis species or a Penicillium species,whatever,just scrape it off. Probably not P.notatum,which I think is the one that was initially used to produce the antibiotic peniciilin.

Again,just scrape it off as I suggested above.

Carolyn
Old July 21, 2016   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Cool stuff eh?

When you are done with your dairy containers, give them a rinse and pour that onto your container plants. It promotes microbiological parties, and your plant will appreciate it.
I took a nap,couldn't sleep and was thinking about this situation. Speaking just to the milk that was used and poured on the plant and described initially, if you look at the lower left of that milk container you'll see that it was UHT treated.So what does that mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-...ure_processing

No pasteurization at all is what it means.

So I'm thinking do I agree or disagree with Gerardo on rinsing out dairy product containers and pouring it on the tomato plants,and I'm thinking which specific dairy products, and which microbial contents do they have.

Would it be yogurt,most of which have live Lactobacilli and live Streptococci,or would it be products processed by UHT,with nothing live in them.

And as a former Microbiologist I decided to stop thinking about it and let Gerardo explain about microbiological parties.

Carolyn
Old July 22, 2016   #8
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Looks like it's just mold, which is quick to appear anytime there's a good, concentrated source of nutrition and the temps and humidity are adequate for development. It's not necessarily going to be mold that is harmful to your plants or to you. It's not necessarily going to be beneficial, either, except insofar as it breaks down the nutrients in the milk. I wouldn't worry about it.

That said, how incredibly rude of your coworker. I would never presume to pour anything on someone else's plants without permission.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote