Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 31, 2020   #16
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
I am afraid there isn't a source within the States. But I believe that can be resolved if you are really interested.

Milan HP
Someone here kindly sent me some Start F1 seeds to try this year, but do you know of a commercial source in the E.U. that carries these and ships to U.S.?
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2020   #17
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Someone here kindly sent me some Start F1 seeds to try this year, but do you know of a commercial source in the E.U. that carries these and ships to U.S.?
Yes, me. Not comercially though.

I assume the regulations between the EU and the USA are sort of reciprocal, so I doubt anyone is authorized to do so. However, I am not really sure of that as I have never needed this service. I'll ask around and let you know.

Milan HP

Last edited by Milan HP; December 31, 2020 at 05:56 AM.
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2021   #18
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I purchased seeds for Start S F1 here: https://www.bobby-seeds.com/tomate-start-s-f1

I grew it a while ago, but my only note is "not impressed". I still haven't found a hybrid variety that compares favorably to heirlooms. That said, disease hasn't been a big problem here.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2021   #19
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Steve -- that is exactly the source information I was seeking. I will contact them to find out if they ship to the U.S. Or, perhaps they can suggest another source that does. I haven't grown it, yet, but hopefully it will compare favorably with Early Girl or Fourth of July as an early variety -- mainly for salads at that point in the season. BTW, do you grow heirlooms outside or in a greenhouse of some type?

Last edited by Greatgardens; January 2, 2021 at 06:37 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2021   #20
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Steve in beautiful Norway,
I am not surprised that your note was "not impressed" after tasting them. Start F1 isn't really a heat-lover, but it was cultivated for warmer climates than yours. This year, sorry, last year, they didn't come out as usual even here, as the summer was rather cold and we got an unusual amount of rain. They aren't excellent if grown in a greenhouse either.

To get the best of them you need a lot of sunshine, not too much water and not too much fertilizer. On the other hand, they can suffer from BER if the heat is extreme.

I keep telling people that assessing a variety without mentioning the conditions may be misleading. When I grow an unknown variety I always have two plants and often in two different places but in the same garden (my garden is on a slope, dissected with stone walls - a typical garden in the hills 570 meters a.m.s.l.) and sometimes I wouldn't even say that the fruits are the same variety. And they are only 30 meters apart.

Milan HP
Old January 3, 2021   #21
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Milan, I don't doubt that Start F1 can be excellent under ideal conditions.

I had a number of varieties that did very well outside and tasted great in 2016, which was the year I grew Start F1 (outside), including Sakharnyi Pudovichok, George Detsikas Italian Red, and Fish Lake Oxheart, so conditions weren't bad.

My favorite "outdoor variety" now is EM-Champion, which hasn't failed to produce lots of great tasting fruit in three years, including one summer which was exceptionally hot and last summer which was very cool. It's also earlier than Start F1.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2021   #22
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Steve,
I may have sounded a bit offended, but I am not, believe me. It isn't obligatory to love Start S F1. But I do.
Milan HP
Old January 3, 2021   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Too funny Milan HP . We all have our favourites .

I have to say that I will be growing EM Champion again this year. Taste was SO good that it will receive a cherished spot in the tomato cage row of 6 plants .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2021   #24
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Linda,
I've heard so much about EM Champion here that I really feel it's my DUTY to try it. I am afraid my schedule for this year is totally full, sort of brimming over. It will have to wait till 2022.
Milan HP
Old January 3, 2021   #25
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

If I can get Krasnyi Krupnyi to duplicate the taste it had in 2020, it was the find of the year. I also had an EM Champion bee cross with Volvosko Scre Val, a hardy and more slim plant that also sets fruit well. Looking forward to that.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2021   #26
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

For the first time ever there's a cherry on my list!

Santiam Sunrise - orange cherry, sweet and tangy and oh so good
Raspberry Mochi - dark salad tomato, just delectable plus it sets well in the heat

Texwine - great tasting beefsteak that sets reliably in my heat and humidity
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2021   #27
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

In another thread here at Tomatoville, I offered Start F1 seeds. I also wrote something about how I like it and how popular it is in the Czech Republic. By no means did I want to write that it is the best tomato in the world. My ambition was just to acquaint members in the USA and Canada with this interesting tomato. We each have our favorite tomato which is the most delicious for us and grows well with us. I've been on Tomatoville long enough to know. Of course, I'm not just expecting positive reviews, I'm old enough to know that the world is not black and white. I am of the opinion that without different opinions, no discussion can work. Why am I doing this? In the eight years that I have been here at Tomatoville, I have met a lot of decent and helpful people that I would dare to address as friends. Whenever I needed something, someone called and sent it to me without claiming any reciprocal service. I think Tomatoville kind of made me a little better person. This event is my thanks to all Tomatovillans. I couldn't think of anything better.
Vladimír
PS.: I am currently waiting for the company to deliver me about 3,000 ordered and paid seeds. Today, RJGlew told me that he would send seed packages to all Tomatovilanes. Those interested should send their postal address to me or directly to him.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2021   #28
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Nicely put, Vladimir.
Old January 7, 2021   #29
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I purchased seeds for Start S F1 here: https://www.bobby-seeds.com/tomate-start-s-f1

I grew it a while ago, but my only note is "not impressed". I still haven't found a hybrid variety that compares favorably to heirlooms. That said, disease hasn't been a big problem here.

Steve
They are getting better, I trialed one called Damsel a couple years ago and noted the good flavor, I grew several of them last year and they were top shelf. The yield is okay for me, the vines bully some at my current feeding rates with several varieties to deal with. They may yield better at lower EC than many others. I'm growing them again this year, we will know more soon.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2021   #30
kr222
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
In another thread here at Tomatoville, I offered Start F1 seeds. I also wrote something about how I like it and how popular it is in the Czech Republic. By no means did I want to write that it is the best tomato in the world. My ambition was just to acquaint members in the USA and Canada with this interesting tomato. We each have our favorite tomato which is the most delicious for us and grows well with us. I've been on Tomatoville long enough to know. Of course, I'm not just expecting positive reviews, I'm old enough to know that the world is not black and white. I am of the opinion that without different opinions, no discussion can work. Why am I doing this? In the eight years that I have been here at Tomatoville, I have met a lot of decent and helpful people that I would dare to address as friends. Whenever I needed something, someone called and sent it to me without claiming any reciprocal service. I think Tomatoville kind of made me a little better person. This event is my thanks to all Tomatovillans. I couldn't think of anything better.
Vladimír
PS.: I am currently waiting for the company to deliver me about 3,000 ordered and paid seeds. Today, RJGlew told me that he would send seed packages to all Tomatovilanes. Those interested should send their postal address to me or directly to him.

Well said, Vladimir.
kr222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2021 , cherokee green , favorite , grow list , kellogg's breakfast