Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 1, 2017   #1
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer/Calcium/Magnesium

Hello All!

First post here!

Intro-Present: This is my 1st year growing tomato's (normally grow 40 peppers) and I have 10 all in containers. Containers are 10 gallon for the determinate's (3) and 18 gallon for the indeterminate's (7). My soil ph looks in line as per recommendations and I have been feeding them regularly with fox farm grow big. They all have some 10-10-10 pellets mixed into the soil prior to planting and I have also treated the soil with a bit of lime and bone meal.

Questions:
1) Obviously the fox farm has become too expensive (just wanted to give them a light nutrient in the beginning) and I'm now looking into a more cost effective water soluble fertilizer for the remainder of the season. Is there something you would recommend?

2) I've read a bit into bumping up the calcium and magnesium to support health and prevent disease. Is there a product that you would recommend adding along with the weekly fertilizer? I saw 'Botanicare Cal Mag', but I'm worried this will also become expensive in the long run.

Appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!

Zeus
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

What soil are you using in the containers? If it's just what you dug out of the garden, then you're going to have problems with drainage.

Where in GA?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #3
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

The dwarf's are in miracle grow potting soil and the intdet.'s are in garden soil mixed with lime, a little regular soil, some slow acting fert, and some bone meal.
Old May 1, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

MG "Potting" Soil is misnamed. It's like a good garden dirt, which is generally inappropriate for containers. It compacts and doesn't drain well. You can MG Potting Mix, which is a different animal. Well draining and lots of perlite for root aeration. Doesn't need adjusting with lime, either.

Are these the same methods that you used for peppers?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #5
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

No, i should mention that i moved over the last growing season and left all my precious beds. Decided to do whatever I can to have a harvest this year and tossed everything in containers. Just ordered a gallon of TTF along with a pink berkeley tie dye and a green zebra which wont be delivered until 5/15 (hopefully not too late for a GA growing season). This puts me at 12 tomato plants. I'll take pictures and post here as soon as the rain passes.

Zeus