Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 8, 2009   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally, a Bhut Jolokia....

She was planted on APRIL 18TH !!!!! It took a while to produce anything but now it seems like she pumping a few out.
I'm almost scared to try it when she's ripe!!

Anyone else growing them this year?

Greg

002.jpg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

what exactly do you intend to do with these peppers? if i recognize the name correctly, this is also called the ghost pepper? i assume that name may suggest that if eaten you will be a ghost! isn't this pepper so hot that it makes the habernos we know look like sweet peppers?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I grew all the superhots when they first came out. I overwintered my 2007 Bhut Jolokia into 2008. the first year production was only so-so, but the second year it really pumped those peppers out! From early July on, it rarely had less than 10 peppers on it.

But, you know, what do you do with all that heat? Once the novelty is gone, I had oodles of superhot peppers on my hands, waaaaay too much heat for me. Nothing I came up with in the kitchen make the heat bearable for me, so I don't grow them anymore.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

It looks innocent enough
Old August 8, 2009   #5
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Don't try this at home . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaEjcY30wgY
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

That was painful to watch
I watched several while I was there. I thought it was a really good way to judge the heat of peppers.
BTW, that guy is nuts LoL
Old August 8, 2009   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

You know, I don't know what I'm going to do since I have not tried them yet.
I'll tell you what I'm NOT going to do, is shove the entire thing in my mouth like that idiot!!

Greg

I'd say about another two to three weeks easy until she's done.
Old August 8, 2009   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Did you see the drops of sweat dripping from this guys face?? HA!!
Old August 8, 2009   #9
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Yeah he was definitely sweating bullets LoL
And fogged his glasses up, too!
Old August 8, 2009   #10
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I think I saw that one before. That dude got PWNED! Can you imagine trying to pass one of those? I mean, I know this a family program and all, but buddy that's got to be the worst part of it. It looked like he was having a hard time digesting it anyway, but when it came out the other end you know he was crying! Talk about a colon cleanse! I'll guarantee he needed some Preparation H. I'll eat a pickled habanero, but I have never even eaten one of those fresh.

I would say the only sane use of these peppers would be the sparing addition of them to a hot pot of chili.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #11
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

if i ever make a bucket list, eating that pepper aint gonna be on it.

might make a good deer repellant spray, provided it doesn't kill whatever it is sprayed on. craig might want to try that on the neighborhood deer.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #12
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

The guys were here last week building my greenhouse. I asked if they liked hot peppers and the one guy said he loved them. So I went and picked a couple of the Scotch Bonnets and some Jal's for them to take home.
The guy popped that whole Scotch Bonnet into his mouth and started eating it. He ate it all and swallowed it but he had sweat beads popping out all over his head. He finally went and took a big drink. And another. And another. I got kinda worried and asked if he was okay.
He told me that was the hottest pepper he'd ever put in his mouth. And he promised the rest of the crew he'd buy them ice cream on the way home LoL
Old August 9, 2009   #13
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by organichris View Post

I would say the only sane use of these peppers would be the sparing addition of them to a hot pot of chili.

There is a whole culture of extreme pepper eaters who're after the endorphin rush. It's not my idea of fun, but they love it. They consider the ring of fire the next day a badge of honor.
Old August 10, 2009   #14
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing both Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morrich from different seed sources. They are supposed to be the same variety, but I wanted to test that. We had a lot of rain recently and all the peppers fell off the Bhut Jolokia plant, but the Naga Morrich plant is fine. So, I wonder if they're really the same or not.

If Naga Morrich is indeed Bhut Jolokia I am here to tell you it is one hot pepper. It has good flavor (I prefer it's flavor over habenaro). The heat is deceiving. Initially it doesn't seem intollerable, but as time passes heat really intensifies. It is the real deal heat wise.

It has several uses cooking. Small amounts can be used to for heat in many dishes including chili and salsas. It has been featured a few times on Man vs. Food. And, you can use it to inflict pain on The Pepper Pack.

OBTW, you might want to consider wearing latex gloves when you're cutting and handling it.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2009   #15
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeah, Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich are two different varieties with a common ancestor. Nags usually have more peppers/node than the Bhuts; but the Bhuts are generally larger. Nagas seem to be a bit more forgiving of wet or coolish weather, too. There is endless debate on line about which is actually hotter, but until someone does a simultaneous grow out and has them tested, we won't know for sure.

There is an equally large contingent, btw, that swears the Trinidad Scorpion is the hottest. Most agree that the 7 Pot isn't quite as hot, but is certainly up there; and they seem to like it more for its taste and production.