Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 9, 2015   #91
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Dagnabit. You are influencing me.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2015   #92
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Dagnabit. You are influencing me.
That's ok. We southerners got to stick together! Even if I did live all over the country north and south east and west, I was still born in Florida, and most my family is there now.

Besides, in spite of our heated discussions from time to time, I am quite sure I also have been influenced by you and everyone else here at T ville as well! That Kudzu thing was brilliant! Compost as a part of invasive weed control. I loved it!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; February 9, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #93
peppero
Tomatovillian™

All of this has been most enjoyable. Thanks for starting it Scott.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #94
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Scott since our climates are similar I wonder if you think it'd be ok to plant into leaves/coffee grounds mixture 2 months after mixing? I ask b/c that's what I will be doing 😒
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #95
4season
Tomatovillian™

Last year I mulched potatoes and carrots with leaves shredded with a string trimmer. The soil texture is better and the earthworm population is ten times better. This fall I purchased a leaf blower/vacuum ( turn out to be the one Mike Mcgrath uses in his TED talk) and it shreds the leaves much finer. I am mixing a few in with coffee grounds and coffee chaff but saving the majority for mulch to keep the weeds down and moisture in the soil. An added benefit, in August bare soil can be about 115 or 120 degrees and under mulch it is much cooler for the roots and knees if you are weeding.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #96
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm grinding about a ton of leaves mixed with pine needles this weekend. I'm going to put that mess on the front yard after throwing some fescue seed down. The front yard is bare,hard packed acidic sand.
I'll do another huge batch into my new garden. I have two or three pickup loads of partially composted pine needles piled up in the garden right now. It will all go through the shredder, which turns it into a beautiful black mulch. I plan to plant right into it this year as a raised bed without sides. I'll probably add a bit of sandy loam to the mix if it needs it.
This will be my first real garden in NC. Starting tomatoes and pepper seeds this weekend, which is a few weeks later than I'd planned on.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #97
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Scott since our climates are similar I wonder if you think it'd be ok to plant into leaves/coffee grounds mixture 2 months after mixing? I ask b/c that's what I will be doing 😒
That is basically what I am doing. Since this is my first year of trying straight leaf mulch instead of manure or compost, you and I will experiment together.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #98
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I'm grinding about a ton of leaves mixed with pine needles this weekend. I'm going to put that mess on the front yard after throwing some fescue seed down. The front yard is bare,hard packed acidic sand.
I'll do another huge batch into my new garden. I have two or three pickup loads of partially composted pine needles piled up in the garden right now. It will all go through the shredder, which turns it into a beautiful black mulch. I plan to plant right into it this year as a raised bed without sides. I'll probably add a bit of sandy loam to the mix if it needs it.
This will be my first real garden in NC. Starting tomatoes and pepper seeds this weekend, which is a few weeks later than I'd planned on.

I thought pine needles provided mega doses of acid to soil? I know we used to have several pine trees at the edge of the yard and the grass would always die around them. My father (a retired landscaper) told us we needed to get the needles picked up because they were too acidic for the grass. Does shredding and composting them change the acidity?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #99
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I thought pine needles provided mega doses of acid to soil? I know we used to have several pine trees at the edge of the yard and the grass would always die around them. My father (a retired landscaper) told us we needed to get the needles picked up because they were too acidic for the grass. Does shredding and composting them change the acidity?
I was taught the same thing when I was young. Several respected people who post here say differently.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #100
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I read a paper somewhere from a university that showed no change in PH due to pine needles being added. In fact a guy at our Market mulches with them. They do need to be aged enough to be dry and brown I believe.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #101
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Are pine needles kinda like leaves, when left on top of the soil you don't have to worry about it changing the chemistry of whats underneath?

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #102
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have also read about the idea of pine needles creating soil acidity to be a myth. When needles are brown and at the stage of falling off a tree, by the time they hit the ground and get rained on one time they are ph neutral. Green needles might be acidic, and pine trees do also thrive in acid soils where other trees won't grow, but the dropped needles don't create an acid soil. If you were to go test the soil under your nearest big pine tree, which has had needles dropped on it for decades, that dirt should not be any more acidic than the general area.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #103
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I use pine needles and leaves extensively. my biggest gripe about the pine needles is they have a slightly waxy coating that makes them resistent to decay. Once thats broken down though, they make a wonderful compost, nice and moldy.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2015   #104
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Running the pine needles and cones through the shredder, along with leaves and hardwood branches, makes an amazing mulch. Last summer it broke down into black compist quickly too, when it was hot and I had a stockpile in the shade.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2015   #105
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

We have lots of leaves here that I would love to use. But what can you do to keep them from blowing away?

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote