Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old 1 Week Ago   #61
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like a plan, imp.

Greg...looks real nice.

Question, if you picked the garlic three weeks ago, what temp / where / how did you cure it?

Last year I basically let it hang in the basement until Nov, with a fan on it the first month to cure. It is high 70s to low 80s during the summer. No notes of course but it seems to me when I turned off the fan, I cut the stalks down some, chose some seed stock, but left them hang. When I needed some I'd get a few cloves for the kitchen. After planting in Nov. I brown bagged what was left.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #62
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Hey I looked at that page. Who knew there could be that many different kinds.

I'm pretty sure ours is called "garlic".

This is one of the broken wrappers. I think it tastes about the same, but its very nice to overload the press with one clove instead of stuffing 4 or 5 little ones in there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first_use.jpg (424.4 KB, 36 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #63
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well, up here I am just seeing the tips of what will be scapes in a week or two. I'm scraping the bottom of that brown bag and, you know, it is the small purple stripe garlic bulbs that are still really sound. I have a little softneck NY white which is still edible but they are sprouted. My porcelains are long gone.

I peeled a lot of little cloves from my salvage stash tonight as we had friends over for a meal. My son went to make a radish leaf pesto and he wanted lots of garlic so I gave him the turban I bought last week. He was really not pleased with the flavor but he ended up cooking it furiously with the pasta and it was pretty delicious I must say... all the same, I am surprised how different the turban is, and how spoiled I am on hardneck garlics, especially the porcelains. But I'm growing out more purple stripes and I do believe they're going to be a mainstay as well.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #64
meganp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikipop View Post
How many years does it take for you to get a nice bulb, growing from bulbils? I have tried on several occasions and never succeed.
Hello Velikipop, it normally takes four seasons for my bulbils to grow to regular sized bulbs but even the first and second year rounds and tiny bulbs are fine to eat. I only grow for domestic use so size is not as important as if I were selling my garlic. Where I live is 300m about sea level and the lowest winter temperature averages mInus 8C. I usually plant the entire umbel, don't bother separating the bulbils and the loose ones get sprinkled thickly in a furrow. What happens to the bulbils that you plant?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (371.4 KB, 20 views)
meganp is offline   Reply With Quote