Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 17, 2019   #691
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Just posting to say that True Colours is a jewel of a tomato: the prettiest I've grown! It also has excellent taste, and will be returning to my greenhouse next year.

Steve
!! In Norway.
Wonderful Steve! It seems to be showing it is a pretty adaptable. Tomato so far
So pleased to hear you will grow it again
Kate
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #692
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Hello! I shared some Karen's seeds with my friend in Ukraine and she got monsters!!! She've asked me to share her photos here with a huge THANKS!! She put her name on the pics as a prevention from steeling her photos, which is common over there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (413.1 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (521.9 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg i.jpg (464.4 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by Allisa; August 18, 2019 at 01:32 PM.
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019   #693
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

A Midnight Sun, weighing over a pound - very lovely to look at and a lovely sweet flavor. A little salt really brings out the taste.

Karen, my MS has had a range of sizes from huge to smallish. It’s still putting out tomatoes but I have now topped it off as there is no way in my zone any new fruits will have a chance.

Thanks for all your work. This is a beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05C945C5-A5C2-424B-8292-3C4E5975AA14.jpg (85.7 KB, 248 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019   #694
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Very nice pics everyone!!

True Colours fruits are really size 'extra large'... surprisingly the branch is still holding on, no breaking yet..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019   #695
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Lovely to see the pictures!! It has been a very interesting year watching the potatobkraf hearts and Polaris grown in such a variety of different climates and circumstances. The feedback has been incredibly positive and also very helpful. I thought I’d share a few pictures of the new ones coming along. For cut photos and full details there is an album full of photos of these F4’s that can be found in my Northern gardener page
https://m.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/
But here’s a look at my selections I’m working through to stabilize. F5 seed ready for next year.
These are not stable and so are not yet available but they will be once I am confident they are.
Thank you to everyone who trialled my “true north” tomatoes and enjoyed them. There’s more coming....

KarenO
Old August 27, 2019   #696
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Oh beautiful! You have struck gold with the colord gene pool.. just as you struck gold with the size genes in True Colours :-)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019   #697
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful tomatoes, cannot wait to see them in the flesh.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2019   #698
shule1

KarenO, Wow! Those are some nice-looking tomatoes! =)
Old August 29, 2019   #699
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

True Colours, Midnight Sun, Polaris and Taiga along with the KARMA Purple, Peach and Purple MF have said hello to seed raising mix Down Under today.
Old August 29, 2019   #700
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
True Colours, Midnight Sun, Polaris and Taiga along with the KARMA Purple, Peach and Purple MF have said hello to seed raising mix Down Under today.
Fantastic! I wish you an excellent season and I hope your weather is great with no big heat waves this year!
Looking forward to your photos as our season winds down and yours begins. You southern gardeners get us through the winter
Have a great year!
Karen
Old August 29, 2019   #701
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Karen, I just hope I can do them the justice they deserve. Some spectacular fruit you have breed from what I can see above. Just need the ground to dry out a bit so I can do the necessary prep work.
Old August 29, 2019   #702
salix
Tomatovillian™

My report still to come... We have been "enjoying" a rather strange growing season, moderate daytime temperatures, but mostly low overnight temps (last night was 2.5 C, and not for the first time). This has delayed ripening of course, but there are a LOT of green fruits if we don't actually get a hard freeze. All that said, a Karma Peach was the first to ripen, and it was wonderful.

Karen, another gallery of masterpieces! All beautiful, but Chinook and Salish Sea are speaking to my heart. I'm sure the tastes will be commensurate. We are so lucky that your passion and skill help to enrich our gardens and dining rooms.
Old September 1, 2019   #703
dorota
Tomatovillian™

Karen, your new tomatoes are so beautiful.

Taiga was for the first time in our garden and we love it. The mixture of different colors and various flavors makes this variety really special.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taiga.jpg (77.2 KB, 160 views)
dorota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #704
davidj
Tomatovillian™

Karen, your tomatoes look wonderful !

I saw that Secret Seed Cartel has started to list some of your varieties, so I'll try some next summer. Already can't wait to see how they will do in my growing conditions and how they will taste !

David
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #705
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
Karen, your tomatoes look wonderful !

I saw that Secret Seed Cartel has started to list some of your varieties, so I'll try some next summer. Already can't wait to see how they will do in my growing conditions and how they will taste !

David
Yes! I’m excited about that, There are others as well that will list them before spring I believe. It’s been just a great year watching them grown in so many places, holding my breath hoping people will like them as much as I do and it’s been wonderful to hear the positive feedback.
Secret seed cartel owner Terry Is a friend, took a risk on some new tomatoes and I hope they sell every single seed
KarenO