Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 23, 2007   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Attack of the Tomato Fruitworm!PLEEEEEASE HEELP!!

Due to some sort of miracle (and perhaps also the serious dent in my bank account,) I finally have a bunch of green tomatoes! Yaaaaaaaay!!!! It's a miracle. . . I've battled disease, insane Lowe's trips (and employees,) geese, deer, vandals, even termites. . . yet somehow I've finally got a bunch of beautiful green maters!!!

But wait! What are those little black holes in them? OMG$@#^$!#^@%$!@!#$@#!$#!!!!! ALMOST EVERY FRIGGEN TOMATO HAS BEEN ATTACKED BY A TOMATO FRUITWORM.

Google is not helping me much--- WHAT DO I DO (besides throw garden tools out in the street) I threw out a bunch of the fruitworm damaged tomatoes, but if there is just one small hole IS IT POSSIBLE FOR PART OF THE TOMATO TO BE EDIBLE?

How do I get these things? I read BT, but where do I spray it? I only saw two of the worms, so will the spray kill the worms or eggs in hiding?

PLEAAAAASE HELP ME I've spent so much money on this maters battling practically every possible pest (I even had to go to the ER after being hit in the jaw by a golf ball) that I think my husband will divorce me (on account of being a total loser) if I don't get any tomatoes by the end of the summer. . .
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasshoes View Post
How do I get these things? I read BT, but where do I spray it? I only saw two of the worms, so will the spray kill the worms or eggs in hiding?
You spray Bt on the plants and the caterpillars then eat a part of the leaf that it's on. Then (hopefully) it damages their stomach lining, causes them to stop eating, then eventually kills them in a couple of days. It doesn't do anything to any caterpillars or their eggs on contact.

Be sure to get the correct strain of Bt; usually the type carried in most garden centers is the one you'll need. But check the label to confirm.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2007   #3
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks (again :0) Suze. The thing is I don't seem to have any leaf damage. I only found the larvae (sp?) after cutting open some funky tomatoes. . . .

I guess all those tomatoes are goner because I wanna get rid of the bugs (they sometime seem to just dig in and out of several tomatoes without eating the whole thing. . . a lot of the maters don't have bugs left in them,). .. so the big question is what do I do to prevent this from happening again?

Will neem keep the moths from laying the eggs by the flowers and tomatoes? I've been spraying neem, but we've gotten so much rain here, I'm thinking it's all been repeatedly washed off and I haven't been spraying enough (also, I never sprayed the actual tomatoes.)

If I spray the flowers will it keep the bees away?

I'm feeling better today. . . I still have a month left. . . I can do this!!!! :0) :0) :0)
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasshoes View Post
Thanks (again :0) Suze. The thing is I don't seem to have any leaf damage. I only found the larvae (sp?) after cutting open some funky tomatoes. . . .

I guess all those tomatoes are goner because I wanna get rid of the bugs (they sometime seem to just dig in and out of several tomatoes without eating the whole thing. . . a lot of the maters don't have bugs left in them,). .. so the big question is what do I do to prevent this from happening again?
Start early next year with the Bt as a preventative before you see damage. I usually only use it in early spring, and that seems to prevent problems with all of the various caterpillars/fruitworms/etc. later.

Also, take a look at this link for more ideas on how to control:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783300111.html

I also see Spinosad mentioned. As far as non-organic solutions, carbaryl/aka Sevin might help you get it under control now. Just be aware that Sevin can kill bees, especially the powder as opposed to the liquid form (easier for the bees to come in contact with). If used, best to apply it in the evening, or when your observations tell you the bees aren't active in the garden. Of course, once the fruitworms are in those fruits, they are pretty much protected from anything you might externally apply to the plant. So, regardless of what you decide to do, it would be a good idea to carefully inspect the plants and remove any affected fruits.

Quote:
Will neem keep the moths from laying the eggs by the flowers and tomatoes?[...]
Don't know if neem would help or not (my feeling is probably not, or not very much). I do see it's not listed on the site I gave you the link to above.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote