Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2018   #2281
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Just saw a show indicating the Newfoundland white wolf is not extinct. Be careful up there.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #2282
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Just saw a show indicating the Newfoundland white wolf is not extinct. Be careful up there.
I heard a wolf was shot in Bonavista in 2012, but it probably came over from Labrador on the ice. We get Polar Bear tourism here too in early spring. They would be right at home in this weather no doubt.
Coyotes OTOH, have established breeding populations and have spread right across the island. I've seen one in my garden a couple years ago, neighbor saw it too. Another good reason to cut back the trees around the house, you don't want these critters creeping up on you, for sure!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #2283
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

people here are still trying to put their lives back together. lake linden, and hubbell were hardest hit. some homes lost. others with a foot or two of mud in basements or laying in their yard. volunteers have stepped up, and are helping out in many capacities. the funeral for the boy that died was saturday. we just happened to be driving by the church they belonged to. he has a huge family. cars were parked everywhere. no rain since sunday.
our section of road from the front of our property down to our neighbors is getting worse. deep trenches on both sides of the road are causing the edges to cave in. it has become a one lane road. we will be one of the last to get repaired. excavators, and road construction crews are putting in long days..
we saw the taco bell web camera in houghton catch the flash flood that took out part of their parking lot causing heavy damage. some people got out of the way just in time.
sunny and low 70s today.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #2284
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
people here are still trying to put their lives back together. lake linden, and hubbell were hardest hit. some homes lost. others with a foot or two of mud in basements or laying in their yard. volunteers have stepped up, and are helping out in many capacities. the funeral for the boy that died was saturday. we just happened to be driving by the church they belonged to. he has a huge family. cars were parked everywhere. no rain since sunday.
our section of road from the front of our property down to our neighbors is getting worse. deep trenches on both sides of the road are causing the edges to cave in. it has become a one lane road. we will be one of the last to get repaired. excavators, and road construction crews are putting in long days..
we saw the taco bell web camera in houghton catch the flash flood that took out part of their parking lot causing heavy damage. some people got out of the way just in time.
sunny and low 70s today.

keith

I am so glad to see you post, even though the news is not great, and your area so hard hit. I was concerned, but you are there and okay for the now.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #2285
bower
Tomatovillian™

Keith I'm glad to hear you have at least one lane, and hope it doesn't deteriorate too much before they can get to fix it.
Sunny and 70's sounds great! Here, this'll make you feel better:
http://vocm.com/news/summer-snow-lea...s-for-shovels/
Yes it's true.. snow fell today a few hundred clicks from my location thank goodness. It's nasty here too but, relatively, we got it pretty good.
Old June 26, 2018   #2286
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

our road is being repaired right now. the deep rut in front of the driveway is gone.
the bottom of our drive still needs fixing, but the road commission won't do that.
slowly, but surely, it will get done.

bower
even here, the weather has not been that bad this far into june. not something i want to experience. anyone in the neighborhood leave their christmas lights outside year around?

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #2287
bower
Tomatovillian™

Good news about the road, Keith!

I dunno about the Christmas lights, but it might be a good idea.. Would cheer up this fog as well!
Old June 27, 2018   #2288
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Not even a hint of frost in May this year. Was actually cooler the first week or so of June. It's terrible wet though. My healthiest plant is actually my only heirloom called Lucid Gem except for perhaps the small Mt. Magic I got in the mail. My Steak Sandwich hybrids are the ones with the most blight from all the wet.
Old June 30, 2018   #2289
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today, we drove south about 15 miles. A whole lot of corn is grown there and the plants are dried out before they started producing. The consecutive 100+F weather coupled with no rain has turned a usually beautiful drive/sight into one that shows how fragile our growing season is here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2018   #2290
imp
Tomatovillian™

Lost every tomato plant at the community garden yesterday. Not one left alive, or able to salvage. All were small and struggling in this heat, yes, but managing, and I suspect a rat for the damages. All were broke off at soil level or slightly pulled up and many tops eaten. No tracks I could make out clearly.

Spoken with the garden manager 2 years ago when I got so many clearly defined bite marks on my winter squash and melons, only some eaten; like a taste test bite on many to see if ripe enough, and those ripened were eaten. There is a water canal drainage thing, huge, right behind the garden and then surrounded by a park area.

Just disgusted right now. Between the heat and the drought and now this.

I have a few old overs still of tomato plants, so thinking of putting them in grow bags here, where I can shade them a bit and there are no rats in the yard.

It's a bit over a 100 now, and though cooler than the last few days, I am ready for a heat break now, too many days over a 100 wear one out. At least the nights cool down into the 80's, so a fan and cooling me off with a rinse helps a lot to sleep a bit.

Last edited by imp; July 1, 2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old July 1, 2018   #2291
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Imp, you live in TX and have no A/C?
Nan
Old July 1, 2018   #2292
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Imp, you live in TX and have no A/C?
Nan

Yes, north Texas. Right now, simply can't afford to turn on the air, though I have a smaller window unit. Looking for work currently and it's not going well, but something will turn up that I can do. Sometimes it may be hard for potential employers to look beyond one's age.

It's not so bad, really, I am just terribly cranky about the tomato plants and depressed some. Nothing that can't be survived, sorry to whine, just cranky and so disappointed over the tomato plants.

Good news though, it became quite overcast and though I doubt there will be rain as the clouds are high, it's cooled to the lower 90's and a breeze has picked up a bit! Some thunder now and then, too. Maybe some rain, maybe not, but the cooling breeze is just wonderful!!!
Old July 1, 2018   #2293
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

BTW, condolences on the tomato plants. That would really break my heart.

I've come to the conclusion that whining works. Sometimes someone will help out, or just the act of whining brings a solution to mind.

Nan
Old July 1, 2018   #2294
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
BTW, condolences on the tomato plants. That would really break my heart.

I've come to the conclusion that whining works. Sometimes someone will help out, or just the act of whining brings a solution to mind.

Nan

Thanks about the tomato plants. It just takes the wind right out of your sail for a bit, but there may be a work around. Try to get my $$ worth out of the cost of the community garden with greens, beans, summer squash and corn, which the mystery animal doesn't seem to want so much. Grow the melons and tomatoes here in some grow bags I guess.

It could be worse. <smile>.

I usually prefer to skip the whining and go directly to solving problems, so sorry for the public rant and whine. Things happen and weather is weather, and that is just how it is, LOL, so better to just figure another way around a brick wall other than head on.

No rain so far, which we need, but again, the breeze is lovely.
Old July 1, 2018   #2295
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

And good luck on the job search.

Nan