Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 15, 2016   #16
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

There must be some substance to that combination as that is the title of a wonderful book on companion planting. It takes some experimenting but I think you have a good plan.

I think I started them in a cup and transplanted, and direct seeded as well. Its hard to keep those little seeds hydrated. If you can find the post, Durgan has a good photo here of how he starts seeds under a board.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2016   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

For the last two years, I've been cutting back on tomatoes. So I've put carrots in the front half of a 8'x4' raised bed that was filled with the extremely sandy native surrounding soil of a low hill. I dug in some 10-10-10 fertilizer (just because that's what I had on hand) before seeding and sprinkled a little on top as well. I watered often during the season because the sand dries so fast and good carrots need consistent moisture. I am better at thinning than I used to be, and it does make a big difference. I was very pleased with the results.
I used to grow carrots in my front garden which is mostly clay, they did OK there too and less need to water. But I do think they were able to get bigger and longer in the sandy soil.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2016   #18
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Summer carrots are ok, but the ones that taste like candy need to be sown midsummer and harvested when it's cold. Here in z6 aug1 is my target seed date.
Although my huge yield this year was from overcrowded spring sown carrots that were left in. Because they were crowded they didn't grow too fast and only a few got huge.
Hope that made sense..
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2016   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Dee, that is an impressive size for a cold climate. When did you sow and also when did you pull your carrots. I have sandy soil too. I thought my error was a lack of fertilization. I would love to have a single application of fertilizer be sufficient for the entire growth period. I can't slack on watering but I'm not a warrior when it comes to fertilizing when its 100 degrees.

Nematode, you must be very diligent in keeping your seed hydrated in August. Any tips to that end?

- Lisa
Old December 17, 2016   #20
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, I generally plant in late May or even early June, only because I have to wait and see what space is leftover after my tomatoes go in. I don't see how I can get more than one larger rooted crop in my growing season. I like my carrots on the big side, because I'm not patient when it comes to scrubbing a lot of little carrots for a meal.

I leave them in the ground until just before the ground freezes. They are of good eating size by September, may have a small meal or two earlier. I may have given them another shot of top dressing fertilizer granules once later in the summer when I was doing the tomatoes, I don't remember for sure. The sandy raised beds are almost impossible to over water, they drain so fast. My main task is just keeping the carrot bed from drying out, especially the first half of the season when they are still small. During the heat of the summer, I hand water my carrot and lettuce patches almost every day, unless it rains. I found a mister head for my watering wand that doesn't knock over the frail seedlings.

Last edited by ddsack; December 17, 2016 at 01:06 AM.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #21
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Dee, that is an impressive size for a cold climate. When did you sow and also when did you pull your carrots. I have sandy soil too. I thought my error was a lack of fertilization. I would love to have a single application of fertilizer be sufficient for the entire growth period. I can't slack on watering but I'm not a warrior when it comes to fertilizing when its 100 degrees.

Nematode, you must be very diligent in keeping your seed hydrated in August. Any tips to that end?

- Lisa
Lawn irrigation hits the carrot bed. That doesnt hurt.
A board placed on top of the seed will keep them damp until they germinate.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #22
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

What is "dtm"?
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #23
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Days to Maturity
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #24
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I have subterranean drip system for all my beds so watering isn't an issue. Does anyone know where I could get seeds for Sweet Candle carrots?http://www.thompson-morgan.com/veget...ndle-f1/4783TM
I can only find UK sources.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #25
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vege...559810084.html
Old December 17, 2016   #26
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Hmm never used that site, Will look into it. Weird how all the best potato and carrot varieties aren't sold in US.
Old December 17, 2016   #27
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered those carrots from them along with a few other things. Dirt cheap, maybe it's a scam. I'll see soon enough.
Old December 17, 2016   #28
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I've been dialing in my carrots, and if you thoroughly screen the mix it really helps. I usually grow them in recycled tomato potting mix that's been screened again, put in a general fertilizer, a little alfalfa meal to recharge things, about 10-20% sand by volume and off they go.

Rootpots (45 gal, sometimes the 100 gal) in a kiddie pool. Drip irrigation, they seem to really like fish emulsion, and whenever I'm foliar fertilizing they get a dose too.

Make my own seed tape with thin Scott toilet paper and flour, it helps to get the proper growth. Sometimes when I only have a few seeds I put 'em in directly, mixing the seeds with sand helps to make thinning less of a pain, a good pair of ergonomic tweezers helps too.

Yaya, Kuroda, Mokum, Tonda di Parigi come to mind as ones I've enjoyed. The multicolored purples whites etc are so-so in terms of flavor, visually people go crazy over them, so give 'em a slot for your market fare.

Last edited by Gerardo; December 17, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2016   #29
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gerardo, the one I'm looking for are supposedly the sweetest carrot in the world plus they are very attractive for market. I will look into the ones you listed for sure.

Last edited by BigVanVader; December 17, 2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old December 17, 2016   #30
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I have subterranean drip system for all my beds so watering isn't an issue. Does anyone know where I could get seeds for Sweet Candle carrots?http://www.thompson-morgan.com/veget...ndle-f1/4783TM
I can only find UK sources.
Thompson Morgan had a seed rack in Earl May, a local midwest based nursery and a US website. They had unusual varieties for sure. Their website now directs you to Gurneys when you click the flag icon. Could this be Sugarsnax renamed?

- Lisa