Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 16, 2017   #1
MichelleInWASt
Tomatovillian™

Default FYI if you're needing more ready-made grow boxes...

... Lowe's and Home Depot both currently have "City Pickers" on sale for $20 (regular price $30).

City Pickers have a bigger footprint than Earthboxes but are shallower, with a total capacity of 1.5 cf compared to EB's 2 cf.

Reviews on Amazon say that the CPs are cheaply made compared to the EBs. I don't have any EBs, so I have no opinion of my own on that point.

Lowe's has only one color available, brown, and the ones I got from Lowe's all came with very cheap so-called "mulch covers"(essentially black trash bag-type plastic and a huge rubber band, what a joke!).

Lowe's site doesn't specify when their sale ends that I can see.

Home Depot has a variety of colors available online.

Terra cotta-colored ones I got from them -- the only color they stock in the store -- had the same lousy "mulch cover" as the brown ones from Lowe's. However, GRAY ones I got from HD, which were drop shipped from the manufacturer (free shipping if your order is over $45), had much better fabric "mulch covers" with elasticized edges.

HD's site says that the sale is on through 5/31.

Oh, they also have the same company's "Easy Pickers" on sale. Those are the exact same thing but up on legs to make for a more convenient height. However, reviews on Amazon say that the raised ones collapse under the weight of mix, water, and plants, so, ummmm, no thanks. (Besides, unless you're growing dwarf varieties, seems like raising the whole shebang up higher would be only the most fleeting kind of convenience )

Last edited by MichelleInWASt; May 16, 2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
MichelleInWASt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Earthboxes are a better quality and will last far longer than those city pickers. Plus they are deeper which allows for more things to be grown in them. However, I don't have a city pickers, I have only seen them and assessed them against my Earthboxes. My Earthboxes have been outside since I purchased the first ones, in I think 2010. They show no worse for wear yet.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote