Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 20, 2016   #241
tedln

Tomato powder and pepper powder? Good thought! I grew a lot of peppers this year, but the only variety I grew which can be classed as hot are the Jalapeno's. I've searched for years for the seed for the giant Poblano pepper used to make Chili Rellenos. This year, I planted a variety which is supposed to produce large poblano's. Early in the season, they were pretty large while the plants were still small. As the season progressed, the plants became larger in the summer heat; but the peppers got smaller and they had no heat. Now, with cooler weather, the plants are about eight feet tall and producing larger peppers again. I was surprised to find they also have a heat similar to black pepper and a great peppery flavor. My dog even likes them. He usually only wants sweet peppers. I believe they would make a good pepper powder to combine with the tomato powder. I think the variety was Tiburon, but I'm not sure without pulling my list up.
Old September 20, 2016   #242
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ted I was just wondering because I have been doing a ton of research on food as of late.
I guess it is due to my mixed ethnicity that allowed me to be subjected to so many different cuisines at home.
I am using the therm ethnicity not as race but culture as it should be.
Nobody in any place we lived cooked the way my mother did.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2016   #243
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I eat the Poblano out of hand in the form of ancho/dried but leathery like jerky they are very good and not hot at all.
They come from Mexico.
Worth
Old September 20, 2016   #244
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Tomato powder - the Master Gardeners are trying it out this year. Today, I tasted a hummus a friend made in which he put tomato powder along with some other things to jazz it up. Delicious! I've read many times of folks making powder out of the skins leftover from canning tomatoes. I don't have room to do that right now but want to try it next year when I have a bigger kitchen. For now, the chickens get as much as they want of the skins as they want.
Old September 20, 2016   #245
tedln

I read once of making tomato powder from the dried tomato skins. It didn't sound very appetizing because the skins seem to be kissing cousins to plastic wrap. I know the large tomato processors have a huge volume of tomato skins to either throw away or find a use for. I hope the tomato powder I will buy on the internet is dried tomatoes and not just dried skins.

Ted
Old September 20, 2016   #246
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I read once of making tomato powder from the dried tomato skins. It didn't sound very appetizing because the skins seem to be kissing cousins to plastic wrap. I know the large tomato processors have a huge volume of tomato skins to either throw away or find a use for. I hope the tomato powder I will buy on the internet is dried tomatoes and not just dried skins.

Ted

I hope so too I think the skins are better off left to the chickens that is what ours ate all summer that and the pulp and seeds left over from processing.
You cant re-hydrate a skin and get anything out of it.
Old September 22, 2016   #247
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's how I made NM green chile powder. After dehydrating the roasted and peeled chiles I put them in my $18 Ninja blender and gave them about 30 seconds of processing. I did all the chiles on the 3 racks shown in the post above. The powder is quite fine. All those chiles made only 4 oz of powder. The powder in the baggie looks a bit suspicious but honest...it is NM No 9 chiles from Espanola NM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chile powder in progress1 092216.jpg (204.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Ninja Blender.jpg (142.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Chile powder.jpg (140.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Chile powder in baggie.jpg (98.2 KB, 81 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2016   #248
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I'm dehydrating okra and grinding it to a powder that i will use as a thickener for soup and stews or other dishes this winter. I have frozen all of the okra I have room for in my freezer, which isn't a whole lot. My two freezers are mostly full of meat that will become sausages when cooler weather gets here.
Old September 23, 2016   #249
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I have, last year and this, made a few batches of smoked tomatoes that make a darned nice snack. After slicing I spread them in a disposable aluminum pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and a bit of hot pepper powder. I then smoke them in my electric smoker for a couple of hours at about 150 degrees (I like apple wood smoke), then transfer them to the dehydrator. Wow. What a flavor pop! I usually use large cherries or small salad tomatoes for these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 23, 2016   #250
coronabarb

That sounds yummy, Shawn.
Old September 23, 2016   #251
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Shawn do you have any problems with metal transfer to the tomatoes due to acid?
I ask because I am trying to figure out something.
At a certain place I have seen food served that has had foil on top of it, Shrimp.
All of the shrimp had a metallic crust on it from the foil, I wouldn't eat it.
I have never seen it with tomatoes though.

Worth
Old September 23, 2016   #252
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Shawn do you have any problems with metal transfer to the tomatoes due to acid?
I ask because I am trying to figure out something.
At a certain place I have seen food served that has had foil on top of it, Shrimp.
All of the shrimp had a metallic crust on it from the foil, I wouldn't eat it.
I have never seen it with tomatoes though.

Worth

Worth, I am always careful with foil, especially on acid dishes left in the fridge overnight, because I've noticed exactly the reaction you refer to. But the tomatoes are only in the pans for a couple of hours, and they're cut in half with skin side down, plus, when I take them out, there is a layer of juice covering the bottom of the pan. I am not really sure if air is needed for the chemical reaction to take place, but I've never tasted aluminum on my dried smoked tomatoes, and I reuse the same pans several times after washing, and no holes have appeared, so I think it's ok.

Old September 23, 2016   #253
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

How much drying does the smoking do? Or, how long do you have to dehydrate them after smoking? Are they leathery or really crispy? Your procedure looks pretty good! I'm thinking after dehydrating, you could make them into powder for a real concentrated smoked, flavored impact on a lot of recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I have, last year and this, made a few batches of smoked tomatoes that make a darned nice snack. After slicing I spread them in a disposable aluminum pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and a bit of hot pepper powder. I then smoke them in my electric smoker for a couple of hours at about 150 degrees (I like apple wood smoke), then transfer them to the dehydrator. Wow. What a flavor pop! I usually use large cherries or small salad tomatoes for these.

Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #254
coronabarb

Worth, I have made dried tomatoes in the oven on foil and never had a problem with taste.
Old September 23, 2016   #255
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just wondering about the aluminum as I have never had the problem at home either.
The only place I saw it was at work with big trays of boiled and fried shrimp.
I will eat a lot of stuff but I wont eat shrimp with an aluminum oxidized coating on it.
I was friends with the head chef and lead cook and I told them about it.
They cant watch everything thanked me and the problem stopped.
They put on a layer of plastic then the foil from then on.

Speaking of dehydrating those guys gave me a bag of dried she-talky mushrooms the size of a big grocery bag.
Worth