Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 2, 2017   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 May 2017 Garlic from bulbils.

http://durgan.org/2017/May%202017/2%...20Garlic/HTML/ 2 May 2017 Garlic
A large percentage of the garlic grown in any particular year is utilized for the following year’s planting stock. Using bulbils and planting each year the whole crop may be used for market or otherwise. I have experimented over the last several years for viability of this sequence and this year all is in place.
The sequence of events is in year one, plant bulbils (the sterile seed that grows at the end of the scapes). At the end of year one they will produce a single bulb called a Round. This round is then planted and at the end of he second year it will produce a bulb with about five cloves. These cloves are then planted as one would usually plant garlic and at the end of the year it will produce full sized bulbs exact clones of the original. By following the sequence the full crop can be utilized.
The bed that I am growing this year has the full sequence. Five rows of second year rounds for the main crop. For comparison one row of typical cloves which are conventionally planted for comparison come harvest. Two rows of first year rounds to produce cloves for the next year’s crop. Two rows of bulbils to obtain the single bulb round.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #2
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Hey Durgan I have a question. Do you harvest the first and second year rows at the same time in August as the finished third year bulbs? If so, what do you do with them until Oct 20?

Or do they stay in the ground until ~Oct 20 and then get advanced to next section? If that is the case, is there any reason the first year rows can't stay in place and become second year without being dug up? I guess it's probably better to dig them up and grade/sort them?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I treat the first year bulbils exactly like normal cloves planted. Simply keep the new rounds produced in a dry place and plant in the Fall. There is no way they can be left in the ground, since they are crowded and certainly have to be removed and made tidy. I have removed the new rounds yesterday and am drying them for the 2017/2018 planting.

Last year rounds are still in the ground and will be allowed to fully mature until about the end of August, then pulled and dried for the planting in October as cloves for the main 2017/2018 crop.
Old July 16, 2017   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

The cycle is:
Seeds (bulbils) plant in October.
Harvest Rounds in July of following year. Dry and plant in October.
Harvest in July of following year a bulb with four almost normal size cloves. Dry and plant in October.
Harvest a normal crop in July of the following year.

Always have some seeds (bulbils) growing and some rounds. Obtain new seeds (bulbils) by letting a few of the main crop produce some. This means all the garlic produced will be clones of the original and renewed every three years.