Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 16, 2015   #1
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default The very large tomato thread

I would like to start this for those of us who are interested in huge tomatoes, for eating and for competition growing, either for fun, or for a record.

PA Julia introduced me to this mindset, last year I grew a few plants just to see what we could do. Out of five plants we grew six tomatoes over 4lbs, two over 5lbs, the biggest was 5.51lbs.

We should try to compile a list of the largest fruiting varieties. I have grown both Big Zac and Terhune, for production of many fruit, and severely pruned to grow a monster tomato. I was very surprised that BZ grew mostly nice shaped tomatoes from 1-1.5lbs, but when you select a fused blossom and cut off the other they get huge. Terhune is more misshapen, but they still range 1-2lbs when grown for production, and get huge when a fruit is selected.

What other very large fruiting varieties could do the same, OR MORE?

You have just a couple of options if they are to be certified; State Weights and Measures, your state fair contests, you cannot weigh them on your scale, even if it is stamped, if you want it certified.

Surly some Tomatovillian can break the world record 8.42lbs

Here's a few tomatoes from this year to start this off, mine were grown hydroponically in smart pots, and 10 gallon grow bags, the 5.51 came out of a 10 gallon GB.

Here's a very important tip. Make sure your tomato plant is robust before you choose your tomato, YOU NEED VERY RAPID GROWTH.

Tip two, do not prune your plant until you select your tomato, then prune off all branches besides the branch that your tomato is on, top that one.

Another tip, for soil, a soil sample is a good start, FEED IT, know what you are adding and why. If your doing hydo, follow the directions, push some much harder than others, BUY A TDS METER. I am also being strong armed by my new grower into looking at surfactants, facilitators.

Remember, lets share strains, and ideas, and make this a Tomatoville project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0510.JPG (345.1 KB, 1742 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0512.JPG (362.2 KB, 1738 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0514.JPG (360.8 KB, 1735 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've never tried to grow a huge tomato, Mark, but the varieties have produced fruits larger than 2 pounds for me are:

Alice's Egypt - 2 lb. 4 oz.
Anna Margaret's Heart 2 lb. 3.9 oz.,
Believe It or Not - 2 lb. 8.1 oz.
Belmonte Costoluto - 3 lb. 0 oz., 2 lb. 3.5 oz., 2 lb. 5.2 oz., 2 lb. 6.8 oz., 2 lb. 9 oz., 2 lb. 5.8 oz., 2 lb. 7.7 oz.
Brandywine, Heart-Shaped 2 lb. 3.6 oz.
Butler Skinner - 3 lb. 0.9 oz.
Church - 2 lb. 5.9 oz., 2 lb. 6.4 oz.
Copper River - 2 lb. 2.5 oz.
Eastham Pink Heirloom 2 lb. 6.4 oz., 2 lb. 3.5 oz.
Georges' Greek Beefsteak - 2 lb. 2.9 oz.
Hawaiian Pineapple - 2 lb. 1.5 oz., 2 lb. 2.6 oz., 2 lb. 1 oz.
Hays' Tomato - 2 lb. 0.5 oz.
Hoy - 2 lb. 8.7 oz.
Joe's Pink Oxheart - 2 lb. 3.2 oz.
Mayo's Delight - 2 lb. 1.2 oz.
Sakharny Slon - 2 lb. 3.3 oz.
Sibirskiy Velikan Rozovyi - 2 lb. 4.1 oz., 2 lb. 3.5 oz.
Slankard - 3 lb. 0.5 oz.
Work Release Paste - 2 lb. 3.2 oz., 2 lb. 6.6 oz., 2 lb. 1.3 oz., 2 lb. 5.2 oz., 2 lb. 9.5 oz., 2 lb. 2 oz.

Some photos can be found in my "Scary Big Tomatoes" thread:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19474

Maybe some of these would be worth exploring. WRP is the only one I still have seeds for.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Kath, which of those produces many fused blossoms? Do any produce multiple, more than two fused together?
Old November 16, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think of a fused blossom as multiple fruit, even if that is not the competition standard.

German Giant was my biggest last year. This year, Orange Jazz, Jazz, Giant Roo, Mikhalych, and Strawberry Margarita made the largest fruit, ranging 1.5-2 pounds.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'd planned on growing Delicious and Church, but it looks like Big Zac offers the most potential. There's a market for F2-F8 seed from the biggest of the Big Zac and a few other large varieties. http://www.gianttomatoseeds.com/index.html

I'd like to try this, maybe with a Church and a Big Zac. Mark, you save any F2 from your big ones?
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #6
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

The grow diary from the World Record. I would have yanked that sick looking plant in June, never knowing.

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/Dia...56605&action=L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 814.jpg (117.0 KB, 1679 views)
Old November 16, 2015   #7
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I've met and talked to Dan(the world record tomato grower) a couple of times. I think he started with giant pumpkins before he started growing giant tomatoes. Many giant tomato growers grow other giant vegetables as well.
I don't know if I can mention other sites on this site, but if you want to PM me, I can give you the name of a site where other giant tomato growers have a forum. You can even obtain seeds from some of these growers.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2015   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Almost everyone there is pretty nice a few are not, I left that site because some jerk was attacking me, cussing, demeaning, and it went on and on.

Ricky, I did save seeds. I seriously think some varieties mentioned here may steal the show. I was shocked when I grew Terhune, here;s something to consider too, I did not prune that plant down to a single tomato, it also had a 4.3, and a 2.5, that takes up a lot of energy.

If you want some seed just PM me an address, I will send 4-5 seeds
Mark

Last edited by AKmark; November 16, 2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old November 16, 2015   #9
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

A quick check and it looks like the Colorado state record is 3.41 pounds. Working with some good stock would put me a leg up on that, thank you very much.
Old November 17, 2015   #10
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Almost everyone there is pretty nice a few are not, I left that site because some jerk was attacking me, cussing, demeaning, and it went on and on.
I've read through a few months of postings on their 'Tomato Board' and while there's some excellent info, it's cliquish, unmoderated, and badly needs spellcheck.
Old November 17, 2015   #11
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

3.41lbs? You should take that out.
I always enjoyed it when I got a larger tomato, but it is really fun to try to grow one intentionally, I just never tried, or even really thought about it.
I also thought BZ was a good tasting tomato, and Terhune was sweet, and good too. The three tomatoes on the Terhune weighed out at about 12.5lbs, so that's good too. lol
Old November 17, 2015   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
A quick check and it looks like the Colorado state record is 3.41 pounds. Working with some good stock would put me a leg up on that, thank you very much.

I'll make a note to send you (via MMMM) some good stock.

You're going to need a bigger knife.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015   #13
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hey Tormato, don't forget AKMark here, I don't want Ricky to make fun of my little tomato.
Old November 17, 2015   #14
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Regardless, I'd forward on half of all the good prospects to you. This is about Team Tomatoville! Unless of course there's a book or movie deal, then my percentage would be a little higher, as you would expect.

I think a 3.5 is very doable in Colorado. I'm doing some serious scheming presently and a soft side 6x8 greenhouse is now a certainty in my life.
Old November 17, 2015   #15
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Tormato for the consideration, I'm even more stoked now.