Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 25, 2020   #1
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafting rootstocks- are they hybrids?

I struggle to find grafting rootstock seeds annually, particularly DRO141TX and RST-04-106-T. Does anyone know if these are hybrids, or if I could grow one of each out to generate my own seeds? I've searched all over the WWW and can't figure this out.

Thanks!
Patapsco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2020   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

They are highly engineered hybrids if I'm not mistaken. While I recall someone posting a few years back that they were going to try what you're proposing, I don't believe they ever came back to share any results. If you do try it, please let us know what happens in subsequent years.

One alternative that could work is growing out a rootstock plant and taking and rooting suckers from it. You would just need to time it so that the sucker have time to set roots by the time you're ready to graft.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Father's Daughter. I often re-root the rootstock top that I cut off and replace with the scion and then use it to graft on a different scion after it roots. The hitch is that you have to make sure that you don't let any of the rootstock branches/suckers grow after planting out because they will easily overtake the scion, in my experience.
Old April 26, 2020   #4
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll be more persistent in looking to buy seeds then. Bummer.

On the bright side, I have had grafting success this year so at least I'll be able to do some testing. Still not sure how much of a difference it will make for me. All I know is that my plants crap out mid-summer at about the same time they used to have me overrun with 'maters. I have to do something. I refuse to grow merely "good" tomatoes. I want my pink brandywines!
Old April 26, 2020   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I too have had difficulty in finding my favorite root stock seed but I got some this past summer and am using them now so I looked them up. Their website will not lead you to the seed by requesting tomato root stock in the search bar. I finally got it to come up by listing the seed name. Below is a link to the site. You can buy from 50 seeds on up. I now buy the 500 lot so I have plenty for two years at a time in case of a problem like I had this year where all my early seeds died in the greenhouse due to the darkness caused by too much rain and cloudiness all through January and February here. Luckily I had plenty and could start over but it has delayed my planting by quite a lot since I try not to plant any non grafted tomatoes in my garden due to the awful fusarium and RKN problems that I have. This variety also gives some protection from Bacteirial Wilt which can be devastating some years.

https://www.neseed.com/shop/vegetabl...ato-rootstock/

I hope you are able to get the seed at least in time for a some late summer tomatoes and make sure to get enough for next year just in case.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Last time I looked, Johnny's still had DRO141TX in stock. They are the only vendors I've been able to find for this one.
Old April 26, 2020   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have rst 04 105 t if you want any.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2020   #8
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Mike, if you are going to be anywhere near Arlington, VA I'd be happy to give you a few of my grafted extras. I think I have a spare Mortgage Lifter (on DRO141TX), Rebel Yell (on DRO141TX) and Aunt Ginny's Purple (on RST-04-106-T). They aren't exactly pink Branywines but maybe not too far off. I also have some extra dark types and hearts.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2020   #9
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Last time I looked, Johnny's still had DRO141TX in stock. They are the only vendors I've been able to find for this one.
I've been getting my DRO from Paramount the last few years. Good prices and they seem to reliably have them in stock.
https://paramountseeds.com/product-c...tstock-tomato/
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2020   #10
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Before I retired, we grew rootstock plants at the Horticulture College I worked at. If you can get seed, then go for it, I don't remember the varieties now, but I do remember the plants we grew would often suffer badly from Odema as they got to some size (6ft). As you'd be grafting at a small size, this wouldn't become a problem.

These are usually a wild tomato that would form small fruit, but they are poisonous if eaten.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2020   #11
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again everyone! I am all set for this year and next year, just planning ahead. I'll use your suggestions to buy whichever rootstock does the best this summer.
Old April 28, 2020   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
I've been getting my DRO from Paramount the last few years. Good prices and they seem to reliably have them in stock.
https://paramountseeds.com/product-c...tstock-tomato/
Fantastic! Will order from them for next year. Thanks!

Tags
grafting , hybrid