Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 5, 2015   #76
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Cole, are those cherries the artisian mix?
If so or not, I had my first one the other day (I ordered totally tomatoes) and it was fabulous.
Old July 5, 2015   #77
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The Artisan Mix is in there. I'm a big fan of Fred Hempel's varieties. Added to it are, if I can recall them all:

Sun Gold/Peach/Lemon/Chocola/Green
Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues
Chang Li
Hssiao His Hung Shih
Prune Verte
Tiger-Like
White Cherry
Amethyst Cream
Brown Berry
something marked "Ambrosia" that gives me orange cherries, one small one and one big one.

Next year, Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues will be replaced by Dancing With Smurfs, HHHS will drop off in favor of Chang Li, and I will also drop Sun Lemon and Sun Green, as well as Tiger-Like.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #78
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

Yes it is and if it and cow stuff isn't "composted" or worked into the soil, can be quite dangerous.

Several years ago, I think in Arkansas, a supposed "organic" farmer sprayed raw hog manure on his growing cantaloup crop. I believe melons were already on the plants. That was 1 of 3 big recalls in just a couple of years. That was for Salmonella I think. I tried to find an article on it but it was too long ago (more than 5 years)

Those big ag failures were what screwed us farmers market growers as that's when many health depts changed their "sampling" rules. We could sell many more melons and heirloom tomatoes when we could give samples.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #79
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Worth,

Yes it is and if it and cow stuff isn't "composted" or worked into the soil, can be quite dangerous.

Several years ago, I think in Arkansas, a supposed "organic" farmer sprayed raw hog manure on his growing cantaloup crop. I believe melons were already on the plants. That was 1 of 3 big recalls in just a couple of years. That was for Salmonella I think. I tried to find an article on it but it was too long ago (more than 5 years)

Those big ag failures were what screwed us farmers market growers as that's when many health depts changed their "sampling" rules. We could sell many more melons and heirloom tomatoes when we could give samples.

Carol
Typical knee jerk reaction.
They are making us fill out a form before we can stand on a ladder at work now.
If we go over 6 feet they make us have a meeting and we have to fill out a level 2 permit before we can work.
This takes 2 days to do it.

Just about done with the idiots.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #80
AJSears
Tomatovillian™

Default New to market this year

This is my second year growing a garden. I only had around 50 plants last year. This year I went big and I am doing farmers market. This was tonight's table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0369.jpg (396.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0371.jpg (449.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0372.jpg (381.6 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0373.jpg (384.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (393.0 KB, 184 views)
Old July 10, 2015   #81
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Angela, I have the SAME sign for my booth, except it is 6 ft long. I got it on a Staples special deal. The tomatoes look great. Here in Oregon, one can be certified "organic" (and that is the only way you can use that word) or you can be "Certified Naturally Grown" which is a different organization. Other than those, we are allowed by law to use the words "No Synthetics Used"...which is what our sign says.
Old July 10, 2015   #82
AJSears
Tomatovillian™

Ya, That pi$$is me off! I can understand not being able to use there seal "Certified Organic", but to make a word (Organic) illegal to use is such crap! I wanted to use "grown using all organic practices" but I figured that would be pushing it.
Old July 10, 2015   #83
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Angela, I have the SAME sign for my booth, except it is 6 ft long. I got it on a Staples special deal. The tomatoes look great. Here in Oregon, one can be certified "organic" (and that is the only way you can use that word) or you can be "Certified Naturally Grown" which is a different organization. Other than those, we are allowed by law to use the words "No Synthetics Used"...which is what our sign says.
as far as I know, if you use organic practices, and sell less that 5,000 dollars a year, you can legally call it organic. Local laws may vary, but that's the federal regulations on the matter.

Organic FAQs

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #84
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Green was the color of today's market table:
http://i.imgur.com/kLSCLEi.jpg

I brought 180 plants, and I took home 18. It was a good day. Seven of my ten flats were dwarfs.
Today was like deja vu all over again. Here was my table this morning: http://i.imgur.com/k5QcMjI.jpg
Old April 16, 2016   #85
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Today was like deja vu all over again. Here was my table this morning: http://i.imgur.com/k5QcMjI.jpg
Sounds like you are having avery successful season. The plants look wonderful. Congrats!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #86
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

thanks

I need to give up on trying to sell plants of green when ripe varieties. It just isn't happening, even when I have grown the variety before and tell customers it tastes good. No one can wrap their mind around the idea of a ripe tomato being green. I can sell every other color, but not green

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; April 16, 2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old April 16, 2016   #87
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah that is an awesome and wow long table. Glad to see your plants had no frosty high tunnel problems.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #88
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I always delude myself into thinking "maybe this year Martha Stewart will rave about GWR tomatoes and everything will change"

Quote:
thanks

I need to give up on trying to sell plants of green when ripe varieties. It just isn't happening, even when I have grown the variety before and tell customers it tastes good. No one can wrap their mind around the idea of a ripe tomato being green. I can sell every other color, but not green
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #89
AJSears
Tomatovillian™

I can't sell any other then red and purple/black, so your doing better than me! I gave some white/orange/green tomato plants to a church garden. Maybe I'll get more interest in them next year?
Old April 16, 2016   #90
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
thanks

Ditto, I haven't sold a single Beryl Beauty and all the other Dwarf Project varieties sold faster than anything. I don't grow the GWR's anymore either for the same reason.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote