Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 9, 2013   #1
vodreaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Plant - Reusing Each Year

Just curious living in Southern California, how often can you ReUse the same Hot or Sweet Pepper Plant.

I have a Hot Pepper and a Sweet pepper Plant on its second year bearing fruit. I trim the plant last year and it Regrew and bare pepper this year again.

Can it be save again next year?
vodreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #2
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Pepper plants are perennial in warmer climates and many people keep them going for years. People in colder climates grow in containers and overwinter them indoors caring for them as houseplants or keep them in a non-freezing garage to let them go dormant for the winter.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #3
peppero
Tomatovillian™

you can use them as long as they last.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2013   #4
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I've got two hot peppers that have been overwintered for three years now. So far so good!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #5
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

I thought my cayenne peppers were finished for good around Dec./Jan. when they stopped flowering/bearing. However, in March they came back with a vengeance and last weekend stepson harvested about 20 lbs. of 6" long cayenne peppers. This is from four 3 ft. plants. There are hundreds of new flowers again.

I've been cooking them and running them through a food mill to puree. Also pickling some. Any other ideas on what to do with an abundance of cayenne peppers?
Old June 12, 2013   #6
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

i've read that some people have been able to get a jalapeno last 7 seasons, so as others have said, I guess as long as it lives and remains healthy. This is my first year with a few overwintered Aji Cristal Peppers and I'm interested to see how they do.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I have a Gypsy pepper that survived in a sheltered spot in a container. I didn't prune it back. It looked pretty pitiful with no leaves in early spring, but now it's growing at about the same rate as a bunch of pepper transplants I have in containers, but its fruit is a little more advanced.

For those who have overwintered peppers for several years -- do you cut them back, in the fall or spring? Or just let them go?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #8
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I have to cut mine back in the fall, as well as trimming the roots, to fit in a pot and overwinter them in my sunroom. My hot peppers can get over 6' tall and that's just a bit to big for a 3 gallon pot.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #9
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I have a Gypsy pepper that survived in a sheltered spot in a container. I didn't prune it back. It looked pretty pitiful with no leaves in early spring, but now it's growing at about the same rate as a bunch of pepper transplants I have in containers, but its fruit is a little more advanced.

For those who have overwintered peppers for several years -- do you cut them back, in the fall or spring? Or just let them go?
Mine are in the ground. When stepson finished gathering all the peppers, I took the pruning shears to all the dead parts. Gave them a shot of fertilizer and a good watering. Lots of flowers again. They had no particular care over the winter... watering only with rainfall. Beginners luck is what I think, lol.

On the bush:

One of three sink fulls of peppers:

Some of the smaller ones got pickled!
Old June 15, 2013   #10
framer
Tomatovillian™

Default onions & peppers

nolabelle, good to see another Louisiana grower. I am in Bastrop which is in the northeast corner of the state - zone 8A. That picture of the peppers & onions looks delicious. I have 6 jalapeno plants that are going great guns. Will have more peppers than I know what to do with. Would you mind telling me what you have in the onions & peppers? I have tried pickling them but they get very soft, nothing like the pickled ones that I get in the grocery store. The local Super One store has gallon cans of jalapenos with onions & carrots & I have been unable to duplicate their results, always get very soft. Glad to see you on TV.
framer
framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #11
vodreaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabelle View Post
Mine are in the ground. When stepson finished gathering all the peppers, I took the pruning shears to all the dead parts. Gave them a shot of fertilizer and a good watering. Lots of flowers again. They had no particular care over the winter... watering only with rainfall. Beginners luck is what I think, lol.

On the bush:

You can make Spicy Barbecue sauce.

You can pepper into little pieces than stick in a blender. Then blend barbecue sauce with the mince Pepper.

Then you can marinade your ribs, steaks, etc.
Old June 16, 2013   #12
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I have a friend who kept her bell pepper plant alive for 4 years in the phoenix area. She moved and took it with her and it died in it's new garden area from too much hot sun. She had it planted in a 5 gallon bucket with automatic watering on it. She cut it back in winter and covered it when it was very cold out. She was bummed when she lost the plant.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #13
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I have a friend who kept her bell pepper plant alive for 4 years in the phoenix area. She moved and took it with her and it died in it's new garden area from too much hot sun. She had it planted in a 5 gallon bucket with automatic watering on it. She cut it back in winter and covered it when it was very cold out. She was bummed when she lost the plant.
I'd be bummed out too after all that. It's like losing friend.

@framer... hello!

The refrigerator pickles are very simple. DO NOT BOIL THE VINEGAR BRINE! That may be what makes your veggies soft.

For a quart use:

1-2 cups white vinegar
1T kosher salt
1T raw sugar (optional)
1T pickling spice
1T mustard seed
1tsp celery seed

Add veggies and everything else to the jar and top it off with water. Shake well and refrigerate. It takes about 2 days to get a good pickle. Of course, all of the ingredients can be altered to taste. Stuff like cucumbers and onions do get soft over time, but the peppers stay relatively crisp for a while. Never lasts for more than a couple of weeks here, lol.
Old June 16, 2013   #14
framer
Tomatovillian™

Default pickled peppers

Thanks for the info on the refrigerator pickles and also for the barbecue sauce tip. Good to have your responses. Thanks again.
framer
framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #15
vodreaux
Tomatovillian™

Just thought of idea!

Grafting and Reused Pepper Plants.