Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 8, 2017   #31
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

They actually grow from corms, which are similar to bulbs. I have never grown either of these in a pot, just so you know, but I have grown then in the ground. Ranunculus are fairly high maintenance (you really have to bundle them from the cold), but they are just beautiful, and I saw a florist once selling them in pots. Anemones have been incredibly hardy for me. I had some in beds this past year that I babied and some by the mailbox that I ignored and they both did great. Of course, my growing climate is a lot different than yours.

Also, have you thought about daffodils? There are some really early-blooming ones too. One of my favorites is Erlicheer. It's short, early-blooming and smells amazing. Even my husband loves when it comes into bloom. I've bought anemones from Terra Ceia farms in the past and they performed well for me. This year, I'm buying daffs from them too. They also sell ranunculus. I've been pleased with them so far.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #32
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Freesais and hyacynths come from bulbs and corms. They are both easy in pots and they smell great! Hyacynths would need some chilling to induce blooming though. My grandfather would start 200 gloxinia bulbs in early spring. They were spectacular in pots and everyone that he gave them to loved them. I think that they would be a huge success.
Old August 8, 2017   #33
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the recommendations, both of you (and everyone else). Do you think a 1-gallon pot is about the right size to try those flowers?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #34
MissS
Tomatovillian™

You could easily use half the size of that for any and all of these.
Old August 9, 2017   #35
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

I was also thinking that you might try selling "lasagna" pots of spring bulbs in the fall. It's where you layer bulbs in a pot for continuous blooms throughout the spring. There are plenty of tutorials out there on these. Yours could be as simple as pansies for fall blooms and tulips that will pop through them and intermingle with them in the spring. Maybe market them as a "spring surprise"? I would think you could charge good money for these depending on the size.

Here's a link to the potted ranunculus I was talking about. https://instagram.com/p/BDYloYRCCfL/They were charging $10 for just one! Also, I think if you keep the pots small they feel sweet, charming, and like a nice little impulse purchase.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
The ones I have growing right now maxed out between 6 to 8 inches tall. PM me an address and I will mail you some seeds.
Thanks again for the seeds. Here are a couple of your variety in the front, The others are Strawberry Blonde and Fireball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180504_131952_483.222222jpg.jpg (666.3 KB, 64 views)
Old May 4, 2018   #37
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

As usual, Cole_Robbie, your plants look fabulous!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #38
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Is your first farmers market this weekend?
Old May 4, 2018   #39
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. I have been to two markets thusfar. My market planned to open early, but the weather has not cooperated
I should have been there the past few weeks, but my plants needed to grow out of their freeze damage. This has been a very difficult spring in regard to weather.
Old May 4, 2018   #40
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Well it certainly looks like you have bounced back! Have a great day tomorrow!
Old May 5, 2018   #41
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thank you. I have been to two markets thusfar. My market planned to open early, but the weather has not cooperated
I should have been there the past few weeks, but my plants needed to grow out of their freeze damage. This has been a very difficult spring in regard to weather.
that is truth. we still don't even have trees leafed out nor are the apples in bloom. I see color on the tips and the flower buds are starting to show pink but they aren't open. the greenhouse is really behind this year. It is just starting to color up. We went from Winter last week to Summer this week. no Spring in between.
Old May 6, 2018   #42
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Weather here has been about the same. Winter, then Summer.

I noticed yesterday that my Sugar Snap Peas flowers finally showed up. I have been waiting on these. Have a feeling that they wont be worth eating if this heat keeps up.

Im thinking I might have both Sugar Snaps and the Roma Beans on the Market Table at the same time, if they are edible.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote