Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2016   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Central Florida Fall Season?

One of my old friends near Orlando has offered up space to do off season grow outs if I'll set up a low maintenance operation like I am doing here these days.

My worry is that I remember not putting plants out until Valentines day which won't give me enough time to have a 2nd generation in Northern Wisconsin in the same year. Was I just being safe and you could plant out in January? Some of the charts I found make it seem possible...
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #2
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I always plant my fall tomato crop in August and my spring crop mid to late January. I have found if I wait much later for the spring crop it gets to hot for good production. Small plants can always be covered if you do get cold weather.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #3
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I may be able to make that timing work. Now to figure out how to pack transplants for airline transport... ;-)

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #4
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

You could ship the plants. That would let you get settled in and ready to care for them when they arrived. With all of the baggage fees it would not cost much difference. If you are going to take them on the plane I would check with the airline to see what their requirements are for live plants. This has some tips on packing plants for shipping.

http://mikesbackyardnursery.com/2013...ups-or-fed-ex/
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote