Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2016   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 Winners and Losers

2016 has been marked by a new (to me) foliage disease. It "ate" all my determinates that were in Earthboxes and baskets. The leaves get a grayish covering to them and then yellow and die. My Pink Passion quickly quickly succumbed to this malady. Lots of green tomatoes, but the foliage is going fast. It also decimated Stupice.

The F-1's have clearly withstood it far better than the OP's. Mano OP is affected, but has done better than all the other OP's. Best resistance by far has been from Fourth of July and Mountain Magic. My Indeterminates in soil are not affected thus far. This is the first year I've grown Fourth of July, and I'm very impressed. It is a slightly larger plant than Stupice, but very manageable and certainly not huge. M.M. is a big plant for an EB -- doubt that I grow it again.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #2
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Hi great, I am sorry to hear about your diseases. Without covering all my mater varieties:
Winners...
1. New Big Dwarf is no faker. It is a very nice dwarf that tastes good and is productive.
2. Dwarf Purple Heart is very good...especially if you like meaty/dense maters that have few seeds and is not especially juicy (not my favorite type).
3. Cherokee Purple is still my all time favorite!
4. Big Beef is very good and really really productive!
5. Black from Tula really tastes great and is productive!
Losers...
1. Tasmanian Chocolate can't seem to get out of it's own way. I bet it turns out to be good....but my one plant is not strong.
On the fence....
1. Brandywine Sudduth is slow to mature....but I have a feeling it will taste great. The plant is strong.
2. Stump of the World is slow and not very productive yet...the clock is ticking.

disclaimer...your mileage may differ due to: well, you know.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Winners so far:
Pink Pearly Orange - early, productive, tasty
Red Robin - the same as above, a wonderful early micro dwarf

Looking good:
Maglia Rosa
Purple Bumblebee - both are full of little fruits of various sizes

Disappointed:
BKX - loaded with blossoms, but it was a long wait. A few fruits have appeared .. all black tomatoes have been earlier and more productive. I love blacks, especially BK, so this was a letdown

The jury is still out for the rest..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #4
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

How does big beef compare with new big dwarf? I can't decide between the two for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
Hi great, I am sorry to hear about your diseases. Without covering all my mater varieties:
Winners...
1. New Big Dwarf is no faker. It is a very nice dwarf that tastes good and is productive.
2. Dwarf Purple Heart is very good...especially if you like meaty/dense maters that have few seeds and is not especially juicy (not my favorite type).
3. Cherokee Purple is still my all time favorite!
4. Big Beef is very good and really really productive!
5. Black from Tula really tastes great and is productive!
Losers...
1. Tasmanian Chocolate can't seem to get out of it's own way. I bet it turns out to be good....but my one plant is not strong.
On the fence....
1. Brandywine Sudduth is slow to mature....but I have a feeling it will taste great. The plant is strong.
2. Stump of the World is slow and not very productive yet...the clock is ticking.

disclaimer...your mileage may differ due to: well, you know.
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
How does big beef compare with new big dwarf? I can't decide between the two for next year.
Big Beef is an absolute tomato machine most years. It will produce in hot weather and cool weather which makes it a good tomato for planting anytime of the year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

So far really impressed with Altai Orange
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Altaiskiy_Oranzhevyi
Also Alex Popovich keeper as well
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...ch_Yugoslavian
Oaxacan Jewel was the earliest tomato, large one too. Do not know how it is listed as late.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Oaxacan_Jewel
Bychiy Myod/ Bulls Honey/ nearly no seeds, compact heart
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bychiy_Myod
Rest is coming
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160712_120624.jpg (200.7 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160716_103029.jpg (230.9 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160716_104250.jpg (215.3 KB, 349 views)
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #7
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

My Creole is taking a long time to blush/ripen, but the tomatoes I have gotten from it taste great - everything else is taking a hell of a lone time to set fruit and ripen - getting frustrated
Old July 16, 2016   #8
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Judging mostly on flavor:

Loved: Beryl Beauty, Morty F1

Really Liked: Delicious, Wild Fred, Wild Spudleaf, Pink Berkeley Tie Die, Dark Queen, Black and Brown Boar

Liked: Black Beauty, Pierce's Pride,

So-so/at least better than the store: GGWT, Paul Robeson

Disappointed: Purple Bumble Bee (thick skin, not really that sweet), GGWT (yet to read anyone that didn't give it rave reviews. I was underwhelmed), Loxton Lad (no flavor and mealy), Rosella Purple (almost no flowers are setting, an those that do are golf ball size. Plants look nice and are normal size.)

Spit it out: Orange Cream. There is some flavor going on there I can not handle. I think it is in the after taste after you finish chewing the skin.

Waiting on: Berk. Tie dye, Large Barred Boar, Chapman, Golden Gyspy (probably try tonight), Brandy Fred,

Last edited by PureHarvest; July 16, 2016 at 04:01 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #9
nhardy
Tomatovillian™

Greatgardens, Did you even lose Big League too? I was hoping to see if it really 47 days or 65 days maturity. I so looked forward to hear how you liked it.
nhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #10
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Now, plse don't get me started.
So far the only ripe tomato i have had were off of SFT and Tidy Treats.
And what is worse than they have been late and slow in setting.
So I won't be able to do a review maybe until late August.

On the second though I have two winners so far :

Silvery Fir Tree
Indigo Appl

sincerely,

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Judging mostly on flavor:

Loved: Beryl Beauty, Morty F1

Really Liked: Delicious, Wild Fred, Wild Spudleaf, Pink Berkeley Tie Die, Dark Queen, Black and Brown Boar

Liked: Black Beauty, Pierce's Pride,

So-so/at least better than the store: GGWT, Paul Robeson

Disappointed: Purple Bumble Bee (thick skin, not really that sweet), GGWT (yet to read anyone that didn't give it rave reviews. I was underwhelmed), Loxton Lad (no flavor and mealy), Rosella Purple (almost no flowers are setting, an those that do are golf ball size. Plants look nice and are normal size.)

Spit it out: Orange Cream. There is some flavor going on there I can not handle. I think it is in the after taste after you finish chewing the skin.

Waiting on: Berk. Tie dye, Large Barred Boar, Chapman, Golden Gyspy (probably try tonight), Brandy Fred,
Really surprised because both of your so-so ones did great for me. That's how I felt about Blush.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #12
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Early taste returns lean to the reds. First time on heirlooms and while the sweetness of Elgin Pink and the fruitiness of Sungold taste very good. I like the the slight acidic bite of the reds, Cosmonaut Volkov gets the nod over Moskvich, both are excellent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeover143.jpg (100.7 KB, 263 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

It's still early, but..

So far the winners:

Artisan varieties PBB and Maglia Rosa: prolific, beautiful fruits, I am sure the taste is enjoyable
Azoychka: prolific as always. Mine grows in cramped conditions, in a tiny container (this variety was an afterthought, and I took a branch from my mom's)
Fuzzy Wuzzy: beautiful, compact, sprawl a bit but stays tidy with no pruning. Plenty of blossoms and developing fruits. I am sure I'll like the flavor. Why wouldn't i?
Pink Pearly Orange: prolific, early, good taste

Losers so far:

BKX: very few fruits, and small ones at that. I know fruit production depends on many factors, but this plant is on a good spot and it has received every care and courtesy I have given to my other tomatoes..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #14
charline
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Really surprised because both of your so-so ones did great for me. That's how I felt about Blush.
same for me!
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #15
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
2016 has been marked by a new (to me) foliage disease. It "ate" all my determinates that were in Earthboxes and baskets. The leaves get a grayish covering to them and then yellow and die. My Pink Passion quickly quickly succumbed to this malady. Lots of green tomatoes, but the foliage is going fast. It also decimated Stupice.

-GG
Maybe you got Grey Mold? It happens in greenhouses most often but if the weather is right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Rosella Purple (almost no flowers are setting, an those that do are golf ball size. Plants look nice and are normal size.)
Rosella Purple did really well for me, funny how that happens.
I am growing Dwarf Orange Cream, it is a ways yet til they are ripe, but now you got me wondering... I'll try to remember to report back on what I think.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote