Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2015   #31
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Default KB X AWV

Ami
I think you sent me F5 or maybe F6 seed last fall.
Plant is in a 12-15 gallon pot. Plant went out late April.
I've not yet had to water the plant. Have had both timely
and copious amounts of rain. With some heat and dry this
plant is set to throw some maters. Very sturdy and healthy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0144_BURST002 (579x1024) (452x800).jpg (240.0 KB, 257 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #32
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Is there a way to recover messages when you accidently hit the back button or something? I had a pretty long post and somehow just lost everything! Doesn't Chrome have Auto-save or something?

Looks good, hope you have success with it! I'll have to find the original seeds and regrow a bunch to try to get the orange or back-cross it. I often have dead-end crosses because I don't have room for a larger sample size to choose from; "Maybe if I chose that other one..."
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Is there a way to recover messages when you accidently hit the back button or something? I had a pretty long post and somehow just lost everything! Doesn't Chrome have Auto-save or something?

Looks good, hope you have success with it! I'll have to find the original seeds and regrow a bunch to try to get the orange or back-cross it. I often have dead-end crosses because I don't have room for a larger sample size to choose from; "Maybe if I chose that other one..."
No Mark, there is no way to recover messages typed here at Tville, or for any message site I've ever been at. And yes, I've lost messages as well, some with lots of links I put in there as well.

So you just have to chill out and try to remember WHAT it was you typed and for me in some cases go back and fetch links that I didn't save to my faves first.

Carolyn
Old June 19, 2015   #34
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

BJ, looking good! Go ahead and give it some organic ferts periodically and hold onto your hat. The mother lode is comming.

Ami
Old June 19, 2015   #35
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Ami. I did a trade with Clara a few years ago. One of the ones she sent me she called "Kellogg's West Virginia". It's really an outstanding tomato. I've grown it almost every year because the taste is really good. I didn't know if it was stable or not, but I've not seen any overt variations. I'm just wondering if anyone has put a final name on it. I don't want to send out seeds without knowing the true name that should follow it.

The seed I received was generation F4. This year, the seed I harvest will be F8. So, what name, if any, did this one finally get????

Here's my 2015 effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KelloggsWVA1.JPG (383.5 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg KelloggsWVA2.JPG (507.7 KB, 220 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; June 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added the pictures
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #36
korney19

I'm not Ted, but I think that name should probably stick if that's the correct spelling of Kellogg--Carolyn should know Darrel's (Darrell's?) correct spelling--and if we are all on the same page with F generations & growing the same thing... any slight differences then we'd have to start discussing "________ Strain..." I'd suggest we all make a concerted effort to grow each other's latest/furthest fillial for comparisons, maybe use strain names, then pick a final seedstock or just go with the strains if listing with SSE...

i.e. "Kellogg's West Virginia, Amideutch Strain" (or Corbett Strain, or Germany Strain, or ContainerTed Strain, or whichever grower's surname.)

I had a hungry mouse or mouse family put a huge dent into my collection, what was over 500+ may be closer to 450--I can't even tell for sure, they even ate the plastic ziplocs as well as many varieties still in Sharpie-labeled folded-up paper towels; what's left is illegible.

Last edited by korney19; June 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old June 19, 2015   #37
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm not Ted, but I think that name should probably stick if that's the correct spelling of Kellogg--Carolyn should know Darrel's (Darrell's?) correct spelling--and if we are all on the same page with F generations & growing the same thing... any slight differences then we'd have to start discussing "________ Strain..." I'd suggest we all make a concerted effort to grow each other's latest/furthest fillial for comparisons, maybe use strain names, then pick a final seedstock or just go with the strains if listing with SSE...

i.e. "Kellogg's West Virginia, Amideutch Strain" (or Corbett Strain, or Germany Strain, or ContainerTed Strain, or whichever grower's surname.)

I had a hungry mouse or mouse family put a huge dent into my collection, what was over 500+ may be closer to 450--I can't even tell for sure, they even ate the plastic ziplocs as well as many varieties still in Sharpie-labeled folded-up paper towels; what's left is illegible.
The spelling should be as Tania lists it:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...%27s_Breakfast

And yes, it did originate from West Virginia but that should not be part of the name, and the variety Kellogg's Breakfast, as named by Darrell Kellogg, who received seeds for it from a friend, not named, and preserved it and shared it.

I have never seen any strains of it SSE listed from when it was first listed, and I do hope, fervently, actually, that no strains of it are ever listed, especially since there are two ways of defining what a strain is which causes continual confusion.

KBX is a different story, thank you Martha Hufford for not spelling it out since no problem remembering just KBX.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old June 19, 2015   #38
korney19

Carolyn, this thread is about one of my crosses, Kellogg's Breakfast x Akers(Aker's?) West Virginia, which I called "Kellogg's West Virginia."

To stop the confusion, maybe I should call it "Aker's Breakfast!"

Last edited by korney19; June 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old June 19, 2015   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn, this thread is about one of my crosses, Kellogg's Breakfast x Akers(Aker's?) West Virginia, which I called "Kellogg's West Virginia."

To stop the confusion, maybe I should call it "Aker's Breakfast!"
I went back to the first post and Ami was already calling it Kellogg's West Virginia at early gens. Now Mark, you know that wasn't a good idea and now you've fessed up.

Is the cross absolutely stable now? I didn't go back and read every post, and if it is, then that's the time to name it and usually the first person to the finish line who claims genetic stability gets to name it.

Unless, of course the claim was premature and then all of you can discuss and squabble over it.

Carolyn
Old June 19, 2015   #40
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I went back to the first post and Ami was already calling it Kellogg's West Virginia at early gens. Now Mark, you know that wasn't a good idea and now you've fessed up.

Is the cross absolutely stable now? I didn't go back and read every post, and if it is, then that's the time to name it and usually the first person to the finish line who claims genetic stability gets to name it.

Unless, of course the claim was premature and then all of you can discuss and squabble over it.

Carolyn
I think I told Ami or labeled the original cross "Kellogg's West Virginia" but that's a lot to write on a little 2'' plastic ziploc! So I write it on the ziploc "KBxAWV." So that name was appropriate--a combination of both parents, and it stuck. I don't have any "real" ones but I name my "babies" at birth, not when they graduate!
Old June 19, 2015   #41
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The name be "Kelloggs West Virginia" the same as I have it listed in the SSE Yearbook. Tania has not listed it in her data base. I will have to PM her about It.

Ami
Old June 19, 2015   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
The name be "Kelloggs West Virginia" the same as I have it listed in the SSE Yearbook. Tania has not listed it in her data base. I will have to PM her about It.

Ami
Ted, i have my 2015 SSE Yearbook here on my lap and I see you listed KBX, but see no listing for Kellogg's West Virginia at all. The next listing is Kelleys________.

And you are saying that Kellogg's West Virginia is stable and that's the name you are staying with?

I'm seeing some problems here, I assume some others are as well, but since I never grew out Mark's cross perhaps it's best that others make some comments if they wish, other than me .

Carolyn
Old June 21, 2015   #43
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, check page 484. I have it listed in the red section. The seeds Ted got from Clara were from her grow out from F5 seeds I gave her. So anybody who has grown KWV got there seeds from me directly or indirectly.

Ami

Last edited by amideutch; June 21, 2015 at 01:04 PM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #44
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Carolyn, check page 484. I have it listed in the red section. The seeds Ted got from Clara were from her grow out from F5 seeds I gave her. So anybody who has grown KWV got there seeds from me directly or indirectly.

Ami
Yes, I checked page 484 and yes you did list it as Kellogg's West Virginia in the red section.

Grandma Oliver's Black is no longer Grandma Oliver's anything related(green,the original)

Amana Pink is no longer Amana anything related(orange, the original)

I guess I'm just one of those folks who thinks that once a known variety turns up as a different color that the genes are different from the original variety and it may not be the best idea to retain the original name b'c it no longer has the all the original genes.

And no, I was NOT the person who named Dr. Carolyn Pink.<G>

Carolyn, who also accepts the "concept" of personal aging as influencing her tomato philosophy, but she isn't there yet. LOL

Last edited by carolyn137; June 21, 2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: additional comments
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #45
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Default Kellogs West Virginia

Ami
Started picking a week ago. It's the best tasting tomato I've harvested so far. Somewhat of a thick skin but has the taste.
Finally beginning to dry out and heat up. Flavor should only get better.
Picture shows a potted plant averaging 6-8 oz. fruit. I grew another in a larger stock tank.
These are topping out close to a pound. I'll be saving plenty of seed. Let me know if you need any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0188 (640x362).jpg (263.3 KB, 152 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote