Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 4, 2006   #1
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

Default Pic Hosting Question

Can anyone recommend a cheap (free? hopefully,) relaible, easy to navigate pic hosting service?

Thanks!
Mike
Teacher_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Teacher Mike ~

Photobucket is the easiest I've ever
used and as stated about is free.

Click this link and join in ~

http://www.photobucket.com/

It works like a charm for this stuff ~

Tom[/url]
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #3
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

Yup,

Photobucket is what I use.

I believe another is www.imageshack.com

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #4
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I have to admit I am clueless and feel dumb asking but is photobucket only for the digital camera? I have a Canon AE1 and Canon Rebel but starting a "kitty" to get a digital. Just trying to figure out how low in price I can go to get those clear sharp close ups.

THanks, Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #5
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_b
I have to admit I am clueless and feel dumb asking but is photobucket only for the digital camera? I have a Canon AE1 and Canon Rebel but starting a "kitty" to get a digital. Just trying to figure out how low in price I can go to get those clear sharp close ups.
THanks, Patty
Photobucket can handle images in many digital graphic formats, also vedio clips. If you don't have a digital camera, you will need to scan the pictures.

I am not sure what's your question. You can get close-up lens attachments (Ebay) very cheaply. Just make sure the screw-in mount to your lens is the same diameter. Most digital cameras can do macro.
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Patty, you can buy a scanner to attach to your computer for less than $100 (or "3 in 1" printers also come with scannng capability.) Then you can scan your great old photos and save them as .jpg files which is what you get from the digital cameras.

For posting on the internet, you need to reduce the huge pixel sizes you get with the newest digitals anyway (take up too much space - too slow to load) so scanned photos will work just fine until you get that new digital!

Dee
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #7
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

THis is really helping. I do have a scanner...a cheap scanner but it does work. What do I do to get the pics from the scanner to Photobucket?? Does the quality of the scanner reflect in the pics being posted to the web?
THanks, Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #8
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_b
THis is really helping. I do have a scanner...------
You may need a graphics software like Photoshop if your scanner didn't come with one. The scanner works thru (within) the software to import the picture. The software can also re-size the picture file as well as crop/enhance the picture. The picture file (.jpg format) can be sent to your relatives as an attachment thru e. mail, print to a printer, or sent to Photobucket to be "published".

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Patty, I'll bet your scanner came with some sort of basic software to do at least basic scanning and editing of the pictures. Scan each picture, give it a short name you can remember and save it in an easy to find place on your computer - a new folder on my desktop called UploadPics works well for me.

Join Photobucket and get a free account. There will be instructions on how to upload on the log in page. Basically, you just fill in the spaces they provide by browsing each of your photo's location on your computer, and uploading all. You shouldn't have any trouble.

When you want to post a pic, you will want to copy one of the tag formats provided below the pic in your Photobucket album. Different boards use different formats. This board needs the [img with square brackets formula. Be sure you copy the entire line including brackets at each end, then just paste that where ever you want the picture to appear in your post.

You will have to play around and see about the quality. If you don't try to enlarge the picture, but leave it at the 4x6 (or whatever) original size, it should come out pretty good. Give it a try and let us know how you do.
Old October 7, 2006   #10
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Hi Patty, If you want a digital camera to get you by, until you get your kitty together (then you can toss it) I have one that my StepDad won in a raffle I can give you. Its in a box and I doubt its that good, but its a start. I cant even get the good close ups on our Sony or our 6.1 mp Kodak.... The one Ill send you is free though.... pm me if you want it with your address....
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2006   #11
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Patty, you have a private message ...

Sorry, I have no old tomato photos, but for anyone else interested, here are two small 3x5 type photos that I dug out from an old album and scanned with a 6 year old not very high end scanner. I think they turned out pretty well, so anyone out there without a digital camera should not be afraid to just scan and post their film shots.

You probably would want to resize them a bit smaller to help those who still use dial-up internet access.