Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2016   #46
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the feedback, and thanks, Gardenboy, for the seed offer. I have some more pondering to do.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #47
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I think the issue of whether to try unsuccessful varieties again is a tricky one. If this were my first year growing KBX I would quit because my only plant is wilting and will die from what I can see. Fortunately I know what it is capable of and am just saddened that I won't be able to enjoy it this year. For years everyone raved about Dester and I got a pack, tried them three times and had poor success. I finally decided I just had to get one good plant so ordered new seeds from a different source and now have a really strong plant forming lots of tomatoes. I am hopeful I will now experience the good things others have. Glad I didn't give up. Next year I will make sure I have two KBX plants in case something happens again. As Carolyn says, "things happen" to even great varieties. I am also losing my Solar Flare for a second year so will get new seeds and try again. I tasted one at a tasting and know how they can be. Next year will make sure there are two of them here. I didn't plant Orange Minsk this year to make room for new varieties but will put that back in because it is a good one!
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #48
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My KBX had a surprisingly heavy yield this year. It was my first time growing it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #49
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

My customers would be very disappointed if I quit growing Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot) and KBX. I get great yields from them, everyone loves them, including restaurants. Most other yellow- orange types leave me less than impressed.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #50
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have tried quite a few orange and yellow varieties, because I like to make an orangey tomato juice. It is usually somewhat sweeter and milder than the red ones I have made. Also, it is very pretty, which is a plus.

So, in alphabetical order, here is some worthy varieties for you to consider.
Amana Orange
Casey's Pure Yellow
Coastal Pride Orange-this is a dwarf plant that is very productive of meaty, slightly pointed orange fruit. I haven't had a summer without it since first trying it. Plants are really loaded this year, but none ripe yet.
David's Ivory Pineapple-pale yellow with pink blossom end with much more flavor than many pale tomatoes
Djena Lee's Golden Girl-wonderful golden tomato that is a must every year for us. Not heard of much anymore, which is a shame.
Garden Peach-these very plentiful gold ball sized fruit with a fuzzy skin are great for snacking on.
Indian Moon-gold medium sized. I get this one mixed up in my mind with Moonglow. Both are very good.
Hawaiian Pineapple. Similar to Virginia Sweets. One that makes us step back and say OMG when we taste the first one of the season.
Jubilee-
Kelloggs Breakfast-I personally have better luck with this than KBX, which I have tried several times.
Kentucky Beefsteak Orange And Kentucky Beefsteak Yellow-both excellent. Love them both, but a KBO sliced on a plate is sooo pretty. Also cream-sickle color and texture
Kentucky Cabin-a little darker but similar to David's Ivory Pineapple. Favorite of my husband.
Maylor Roth's Orange Brandywine-that's what I'm talking about for an orange tomato
Orange Queen-
Pork Chop
Peaches and Cream
Schellenberg's Favorite
Summer Cider
Summertime Gold

And last but not least-J C Jones-one you don't hear too much about anymore-but it really pumps out yellow beefsteaks with excellent flavor.

This year I am trialing but cannot comment on flavor yet- Dina, an orange determinate, Tom's Yellow Wonder, and Uluru Ochre. Both Dina and Uluru Ochre have fruit ripening on the counter.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #51
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Aunt Gerties is wonderful but very late to ripen in my garden. KBX ripens much earlier and produces better. Still good taste but not as good as AGG
Old July 18, 2016   #52
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I like Coastal Pride Orange. I also like Qiyanai Huang. I can't choose between them, because I can't tell them apart. It makes me wonder if they are the same variety. Both have a good shelf life for an heirloom. I like them best when very ripe, a deep orange color.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019   #53
RainCoast
Tomatovillian™

Default Ilya Muromets

Ilya Muromets (Илья Муромец)

Very productive, very clean (no catfacing), very tasty.

Seed (2015) from

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ilya_Muromets

Photo taken August 22 2019

RainCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019   #54
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

That is a very handsome tomato! How are its other characteristics? Foliage, plant size, apparent disease tolerance, etc.? Since it is/was a commercial variety, it may have better-than-average physical characteristics. Did you get your seeds from Tania or one of the Russian/East European sellers?

Incidently, Burpee's Orange Slice and Orange Wellington are two very good Orange varieties. Both Indet. There is an OP version of Orange Slice that is like F4 that produces nice, large "squareish" tomatoes. Orange Wellington is the smaller plant with slightly smaller tomatoes. It is frequentlly available at Home Depot, Menards, etc. in reasonably-prices packets.

Last edited by Greatgardens; September 22, 2019 at 03:18 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019   #55
RainCoast
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
That is a very handsome tomato! How are its other characteristics? Foliage, plant size, apparent disease tolerance, etc.? Since it is/was a commercial variety, it may have better-than-average physical characteristics. Did you get your seeds from Tania or one of the Russian/East European sellers?

Incidently, Burpee's Orange Slice and Orange Wellington are two very good Orange varieties. Both Indet. There is an OP version of Orange Slice that is like F4 that produces nice, large "squareish" tomatoes. Orange Wellington is the smaller plant with slightly smaller tomatoes. It is frequentlly available at Home Depot, Menards, etc. in reasonably-prices packets.

I got the seeds from Tatiana in 2015.

Planted in the ground outside.

The plant size: under three feet. Compact. Comparable in size to the Dwarf Project plants that I was growing; Dwarf Mahogany, Dwarf Orange Cream, Dwarf Scarlet Heart and Dwarf Caitydid. Bigger than Kootenai, if you know it.

Regular leaf foliage, bushy, but not as bushy as Kootenai.

No disease nor any indication of stress. A beautiful healthy plant.

Here is another, earlier, photo of Ilya Muromets

I planted one in a 4 gallon container and it was a disaster. I may try again next year with a larger container.

Thank you for the Orange recommendations. I'm very interested in tetra-cis-lycopene tomatoes and have purchased seeds of Moonglow, Orange Crimea and Tangella for next years garden. I am growing Kellogg's Breakfast and Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot strain) both of which have tetra-cis-lycopene but have horrendous catfacing and very poor production. However the Platfoots are SO incredibly tasty. I wonder if Ilya Muromets has tetra-cis-lycopene?
RainCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019   #56
davidj
Tomatovillian™

I grew several orange tomatoes this summer. I like their taste and I'm also after their pro-lycopene (it is supposed to be much easily absorbed than regular red lycopene). I'll make a fully detailed post in october, but here are some of my findings:

- Japanese orange trifele and Alladin's lamp are very similar 3-4 oz pear-shaped tomatoes. Not very productive for me and not much early. I felt they are too juicy for sauce (same thing applies for Black Pear and Japanese black trifele), but they are easy to process.

- Orange Altai (Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi): too much shade on these plant for a fair evaluation of production and earliness, but tomatoes were great with almost no core. I will grow it again next year.

- Orange Strawberry: a little late for me, but intense orange and great tasting/looking tomato. Production was not very high. However, I've got a potato leaf with clear epidermis sport of orange strawberry which was a little earlier and much more productive. I'll grow seeds of the PL sport next year.

- Zolotoe Serdtse: I like the size and earliness of this one, but it has never been highly productive. I don't know if I got the original variety, but it is definitely a tangerine orange tomato for me, not a beta-carotene.

- Slivka Oranzh Gigant: big 1-pound block-shaped fruits with nice smooth texture. Prone to concentric cracking. Mid-season.

- Jaune Flammée: Produces a bunch of 2-3 oz beta-carotene orange always-good-tasting-and-very-juicy tomatoes.

- Thorburn Terra Cotta: this one would not fit in "intense orange", but it is a funny colored tomato: orange mix with green and pink marbling. Great taste, compact indeterminate, quite early and productive for me. A bit prone to concentric cracking.

Last edited by davidj; September 22, 2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Forgot something to write !
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019   #57
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

After trying a couple of yellows in past years that were too mild for my taste, this year I found a yellow tomato that has a nice rich flavor with a bit of citrusy zing -- Golden Gypsy from the Dwarf Project. My one plant produced a good number of perfectly shaped beefsteaks weighing about 1/2 pound each.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019   #58
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I see that I posted a long list in 2016
Since then, I have been paring my lists down to ones that have consistently been winners. I read frequently about Kelloggs Breakfast being a poor producer. Maybe my plants have acclimated, or maybe because this variety was developed locally, but my plants put out a lot of beautiful juicy fruit
I continue to always have this variety in my lineup.

This year I dug out my rather old Cero Blackburn seeds. So happy i did. Huge, luscious, juicy. That plant is still so loaded it knocked over its 54 inch cage.

The 3rd one I will continue to grow yearly is Summer Cider
Another great plant with loads of perfect tomatoes that have everything i am looking for.

I also continue to grow Coastal Pride Orange in a container. It has proven itself to and again.

Second picture is a 1 pound 10 ounce Kelloggs Breakfast from this season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190907_083336.jpg (128.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 20190824_140511.jpg (128.1 KB, 140 views)
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019   #59
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I think a good way to test intensity is when one uses the tomato in one of those separators to make juice (separates the skin and seeds) and looks at the resulting juice. I would define intensity in ability to give colour to a volume of food.
Until now easily the most intense one has been KBX. Even though Jaune Flamme is much more orange and seems like a good candidate, when juiced it's not really that intense. I haven't grown Yellow BW, but seems similar to KBX.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote