Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 1, 2017   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default 1 May 2017 Colorado Potato Beetle

http://durgan.org/2017/May%202017/1%...20Beetle/HTML/ 1 May 2017 Colorado Potato Beetle
Found one Colorado Potato Beetle when moving a board in the garden. The adults overwinter in the soil, emerge and lay eggs on mostly potatoes but have several hosts. This one adult can lay several hundred eggs and must be suppressed or a potato field is quickly devastated, literally in a few days. I grow less than 100 plants and over the season pick by hand around 2000 eggs and larvae when found on the vegetation. This year I am planting my potatoes late assuming the beetle will have looked elsewhere for a host by the time I plant. Every commercial potato field is heavily sprayed to survive.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default This was the first encounter in 2016

This was the first encounter in 2016

http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/7%20June%202016%20Colorado%20potato%20beetle,%20Le ptinotarsa%20decemlineata/HTML/ 7 June 2016 Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata)
The Colorado Potato Beetle surfaced in my garden today. Three adults were found and numerous larvae and eggs. Control is by picking and destroying all, usually several times a day. A large infestation requires the application of chemicals. The beetle cannot be ignored, since they multiply rapidly and can destroy a potato crop in a few days. The bug is ubiquitous and few gardens are without them in Canada.

Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote