Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 10, 2012   #16
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to say I got the neem oil (the Garden Safe brand) this weekend, and finally had time to get it mixed up with the bit of dish soap (I use Seventh Generation) and water in my spray bottle. I sprayed it at lunchtime today. I think none too soon, as I noticed one of the zucchini leaves was partially munched. I also saw a couple of ants walking inside the cucumber flower. Trellised it up, too, that should help.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Just wanted to say I got the neem oil (the Garden Safe brand) this weekend, and finally had time to get it mixed up with the bit of dish soap (I use Seventh Generation) and water in my spray bottle. I sprayed it at lunchtime today. I think none too soon, as I noticed one of the zucchini leaves was partially munched. I also saw a couple of ants walking inside the cucumber flower. Trellised it up, too, that should help.
That's great Ann. I have been spraying neem mix with a little soap and alot of water every 4 to 5 days, and it is a very good prevention.I mix the neem with the soap first to emulsify it, then add the water, and this way it stays mixed in.

Please be careful about spraying at noon, especially if it is a sunny day, because neem, like all oils, will burn the leaves in the heat of the day. Only spray early morning or later afternoon to avoid frying your leaves. Been there and done that!
Oh, and neem only works on soft bodied insects such as moths, caterpillars, whiteflies aphids, but ants have a hard chitin exoskeleton and wont be affected by neem.
Just thought you should know.... trying to be helpful.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #18
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Oh, thanks, Marsha! Yes, it was mighty gray and cloudy today, probably getting ready for a light drizzle, so I felt burning would not be an issue. I didn't think I could see well enough in the dark, as I don't get home till late. But, a good reminder.

Good to know about the ants. I thought it might repel them (and the soap) if not kill them, but it also seems that elevating the cucumber stem has discouraged the little fellas also. For now!
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaFL View Post
Most of the ones I'm battling are inside my screened pool area. There are ones outside it, but they seem to be under control atm from predator bugs and plant death (my sweet potatoes...they totally attacked these. Fortunately, sweet potatoes will survive an apocalypse, so I trust they'll recover. LOL)

Good luck! Remember to not be delicate here. Spray, spray, spray! (Whiteflies seem to prefer my peppers, next after that the eggplants.) Oh, just be careful about timing of spraying. It should be done when the sun won't then burn them. (Evening? Morning?) I guess this is the advice given when doing any kind of foliar spraying, however.
Whiteflies go after my eggplants but it doesn't ever phase them.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #20
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I found a great Whitefly Repellent... Neem Meal, also called Neem Cakes or Neem Manure. Neem Oil is a peasant crop, meaning it is the sole source of income for a large population in India. Neem bushes grow wild throughout India, and are never sprayed because it is a natural pesticide. The Neem Seeds are collected and the oil is removed using hand-presses, much like a cider press. The remaining seed casings and residue is pressed into a round cake. Neem is an ideal fertilizer, since it contains ideal balances of NPK and micro-nutrients. The extracted oil is sold as Neem oil, while the Neem byproduct of cakes are sold as a fertilizer. I use the Neem meal as a pesticide, sprinkling it on the soil of my potted plants. It doesn't kill the bugs, but it makes them want to relocate.
http://www.groworganic.com/neem-seed...-6-lb-box.html

I use it in my greenhouse for Whitefly and Aphid control, and also sprinkle it around the base of my young cucumber plants to get rid of cucumber beetles in my garden. I had an epidemic of cucumber beetles to the point that I gave up growing Cukes. Then I discovered Neem Meal. A little goes a long way, and it holds up rather well in weather. Unlike Neem Oil, it dissolves slowly when watered or wet. The nice part is that as it dilutes, it feed the plants.
Old February 27, 2013   #21
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Hotwired...thank you! I'd never heard of this. I have good luck with the oil/soap mixture, but it's a constant battle. Take a break and they come back with a vengeance.
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #22
awsumth
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had problems with whiteflies nearly killing my plants and didn't have much success with neem oil, especially since it didn't stop raining.
This year I haven't had a problem yet and I don't spray. I know once it gets hotter I'll see many more. Although some of my plants (not my tomatoes) are treated with Imidacloprid soil drench (Bayer Advanced) such as my Angel's Trumpet. It seems the flies go plant to plant and die once they feast on treated ornamentals.
awsumth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2013   #23
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumth View Post
...It seems the flies go plant to plant and die once they feast on treated ornamentals.
Now I'm thinking of planting a few ornamentals in order to treat.
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had a really bad infestation of whiteflies a couple of years ago and used neem oil. It was fairly effective if you sprayed every 3 to 4 days but after a while became less effective. I ended up rotating different sprays and had more success. I think the one thing that every successful whitefly control has in common is frequent spraying. I'm sure there are chemicals strong enough to kill them outright; but I would be very hesitant to use them on my tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #25
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
http://www.horticulturesource.com/ac...sprayers-s101/ Keep in mind most of the feeding,breeding and egg laying goes on underneath the mater leaves.Got me 360 sprayers for that purpose.
I would like to get details on that sprayer.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #26
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

Getting this one pronto !
http://www.amazon.com/Solo-420-2-Lit...s=solo+sprayer
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote