Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 30, 2016   #1
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Default What are your favorite pest control methods?

Hello all, starting to have problems with caterpillars and snails.. occasionally fungus gnats as well but nothing drying out the soil and some Diatomaceous Earth cant get rid of. Even some yellow jackets have been hanging around feasting on the caterpillars now. What are some remedies that all of you like to use? I was thinking of buying a bag of Gnat Nix and either a bottle of Dr Earth insect killer or this Garlic Barrier pest control stuff. Can get Dr Earth at home depot, the other I have to order.. about the same price. Trying to stay organic with the pesticides, I have a lot of dogs.. Has anyone tried either of these or recommend anything else? Thanks!

Snapchat-8690572385507589217.jpg
dr-earth-final-stop-garden-insect-killer.jpg
Garlic Barrier.jpg
Blake_HTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Diatomaceous Earth and Spinosad have become a staple for pests in my garden. Nothing lives in the garden now but plants. I do not however have a remedy for yellow jackets as i have never had them.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #3
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Yellow jackets haven't really been a bother really. They eat the caterpillars, I leave them alone, they leave me alone so far. Diatomaceous Earth works great but I hate have to reapply every time i water or it gets a little rain. That's why I want to try the Gnat Nix. It works the same way only its effective wet or dry and can be reused.
Old May 1, 2016   #4
Rosedude
Tomatovillian™

I have no experience with gnats except when i go camping near a lake.

As for what works best--there is no substitute for a gardener actively tending his/her garden. When you walk through your garden you notice all kinds of things when they change and you can usually do something about it before it becomes a big problem.
Rosedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #5
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosedude View Post
I have no experience with gnats except when i go camping near a lake.

As for what works best--there is no substitute for a gardener actively tending his/her garden. When you walk through your garden you notice all kinds of things when they change and you can usually do something about it before it becomes a big problem.
Here in Houston they're everywhere. Those, however, aren't my worry the caterpillars and snails are becoming more of a problem than anything. And I agree that's why i'm here asking people's remedies! lol
Old May 1, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Organic methods for pest control. I could offer a lot of ideas and plagiarize some books and worse - internet sites, but I haven't found any that really work. Well, other than a flyswatter. I have spayed garlic and hot pepper infused water on plants, used neem oil, made and used aerated organic teas, used purified soaps, you name it. All it added up to was a stinky bug ridden garden.

Then I used Malathion and Triazicide - they work too well. They kill all bugs. But the plants start looking a lot better quickly.

I want to believe there is some sort of organic pest control that really works and I just haven't found it yet.

Edit, for slugs and snails, put out a saucer/bowl of cheap beer - it works.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 1, 2016 at 12:31 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #7
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Organic methods for pest control. I could offer a lot of ideas and plagiarize some books and worse - internet sites, but I haven't found any that really work. Well, other than a flyswatter. I have spayed garlic and hot pepper infused water on plants, used neem oil, made and used aerated organic teas, used purified soaps, you name it. All it added up to was a stinky bug ridden garden.

Then I used Malathion and Triazicide - they work too well. They kill all bugs. But the plants start looking a lot better quickly.

I want to believe there is some sort of organic pest control that really works and I just haven't found it yet.
Awesome lol well im going to try this Mr Earth stuff and see how it works. I'm sure with the combination of diatomaceous earth, gnat knix, mr earth and predatory insects and lizards I should make an impact.
Old May 1, 2016   #8
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Does the beer kill them? So far mix D.E. with water in a spray bottle and spraying the sides of the containers has been killing snails. but I have sunflower seedlings in the ground that they keep eating.
Old May 1, 2016   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Yes, the beer kills them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #10
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Cool i will give that a try thanks!
Old May 1, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Probably a paper wasp commonly mistaken for a yellow jacket.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #12
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Probably a paper wasp commonly mistaken for a yellow jacket.

Worth
I am not very familiar with my insects so I wouldn't doubt it
Old May 1, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They are nicer to a point.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

First year gardens are often pretty successful. If studied and prepped with good soil, weed barrier, good food, compost, etc. Year two and three is when some unwanted slugs and grubs and cutworm and others find you if prone to that in your area. Takes a few years to get it all in balance.

I still, after 20yrs, need cut worm protection collars, and slug bait very early spring before the get really active. Prevention.

Lots of slug baiting ideas if you google image search,

I use beer baits, about 6 mostly in salad beds and use copper on the top edges. Best are containers set into the soil with side holes and a heavy clay pot upside down over top.
We have pups that run down to the garden ahead of me and eat the dead snails
bleech. A lid on a coffee can works if set into the ground with holes from and old fashioned can opener above the surface. anything to keep the pups and rain out.

Wet newspaper or an old wet doormat or carpet sample placed in the paths before sunset will attract a good amount overnight...just get out there early am and lift the mats and destroy in soapy salty water or roll up the newspaper and destroy.

Given time some happy campers move in and good guys eat the bad. I've got a lot of snakes now that scare the ★★★★ out of me but just for a second.

The early morning visit is a way to check on problems...and plant another row of peas if they mysteriously disappeared...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #15
Blake_HTX
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=oakley;556472]First year gardens are often pretty successful. If studied and prepped with good soil, weed barrier, good food, compost, etc. Year two and three is when some unwanted slugs and grubs and cutworm and others find you if prone to that in your area. Takes a few years to get it all in balance.

Thanks for the suggestions!

My backyard is connected to a huge field with all kinds of critters coming out of the field to my yard. I have to watch out for cotton mouths as I've seen a couple of them sneak into my yard. I also have a lot of bushes that border my fence lines, so a lot of coverage for pests. I'm building a greenhouse soon too so hopefully that should make a difference.