Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 30, 2016   #1
brian1269
Tomatovillian™

Default Why is my tomato plant wilting and dying?

I can't figure out why this is happening to my Rutgers tomato plant. It's in an earthbox and was doing great until about a week or so ago when it just started to wilt and stop setting fruit. Not all the leaves/branches are wilting, just the majority, and the same plant on the other side of the box seems to be in a lot better shape. It's getting good water, I don't see any type of pest problem, and don't really see any bad spotting on the leaves either. Help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160630_004408.jpg (323.6 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 20160630_004421.jpg (165.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg 20160630_004442.jpg (266.5 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg 20160630_010457.jpg (198.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 20160630_010517.jpg (248.4 KB, 264 views)
brian1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Are they in the ground, raised beds, or pots?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It could be a number of things. It could be fusarium wilt or bacterial wilt and these would be my first guess. Either one is bad news for the plant or it could possibly be Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus; but it usually gives some indication on the leaves. There are other things that could cause it also like bad root knot nematodes but I have rarely seen them in a container or possibly something burrowing in the soil and eating or damaging the roots. It could be the soil is so packed or sodden that the roots are dying. Lots of things can go wrong with a tomato plant. There are even some tiny stem borers that can cause wilting and if you get them they are hard to spot because they enter through a tiny hole that is hardly noticeable without close inspection.

I hope you figure it out.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I was also thinking Bacterial wilt or fusarium, but those wouldn't be the issue if grown in pots, just like you said Bill.
Old June 30, 2016   #5
JoParrott

Could it be the water is getting built up in the container? Many times the drainage isn't good and water gets sour-.
Old June 30, 2016   #6
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

brian1269, I have the EXACT same problem!!!
Earthboxes, draining fine, the other plant in the same box is healthy and green. I actually pulled my Anna Russian 2 days ago because it had been wilted for a week or more and I was worried it had bacterial wilt. I am starting a new thread w/ my photos - I actually cut the stems to test for bacterial wilt and came up negative. I am baffled.
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #7
brian1269
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Are they in the ground, raised beds, or pots?
It's in an Earthbox, which is a self-watering container.

Quote:
I was also thinking Bacterial wilt or fusarium, but those wouldn't be the issue if grown in pots, just like you said Bill.
So those don't happen in containers? They are on my back deck, 10 feet off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Could it be the water is getting built up in the container? Many times the drainage isn't good and water gets sour-.
I think the water is good, the other plant is using it and it also gets flushed out some when the water timer kicks in twice a days and fills the reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerns125 View Post
Earthboxes, draining fine, the other plant in the same box is healthy and green. I actually pulled my Anna Russian 2 days ago because it had been wilted for a week or more and I was worried it had bacterial wilt. I am starting a new thread w/ my photos - I actually cut the stems to test for bacterial wilt and came up negative. I am baffled.
Please let me know if you discover anything.
Old June 30, 2016   #8
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

Brian, I note that your photos actually show diseased-appearing leaves with brown/yellow on them, while mine do not -- so I am no longer convinced we have the same problem. I am wondering whether you have blight or verticillium or fusarium wilt. Here is a good reference to look at for more info and photos:
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...omWiltKey.html
Did you have cool/wet conditions recently?

Jen
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #9
brian1269
Tomatovillian™

Jen, early in June we had lows of 56, 49 and 56 for three consecutive days and that's the lowest it's been all month. Not much wet conditions lately.
You are correct, there are a handful of leaves that are yellow/brown near the base of the plant. I have included a good pic of them. Anyone recognize this? Like I said before, maybe about half the plant looks like it's wilting and the other half looks ok. Should I just take out the whole thing or is there any hope?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160630_142905.jpg (221.8 KB, 214 views)
Old June 30, 2016   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Brian, please, what did you put in to your earthboxes, what potmix, what ferts, what added?
Old June 30, 2016   #11
brian1269
Tomatovillian™

Just the norm for an Earthbox: potting mix (Miracle Gro, second year in use), fertilizer, dolomite lime and some calcium nitrate once a week. Same thing I've always used to great success.
Old June 30, 2016   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

OK, then totally ruling out bact. wilt, and Fusarium unless....but maybe did a possible contamination of ground soil get into the EB? Like even a small amount, such as my yard man did when he tipped the weed whacker at an angle and native soil got flung on top of the EB plastic mulch. Then I went to clean it off by hosing, which put some right down the holes where the plants were placed. In my case, that gave me nematodes in an EB, which I used to think was impossible. You could get a fusarium or bact wilt that way. On the side where it is yellowing, can you cut the stem off, then lengthwise and post photos? If you can, try to place the stem cut through a yellowing area. Get a closeup if you can. I am looking for if there is any brown in the vascular tissue of the stem.
Old June 30, 2016   #13
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I lost a tomato plant to wilt two weeks ago - first time in 40 years I ever had this problem. Last week another next to the first bit the dust, and now two more adjacent plants are partly wilted on one side. This is the first time I planted in this location at my new wife's house and I have been losing sleep thinking that whatever was causing this wilting would spread to the remaining 44 plants.

All four plants are in one corner of the garden, and while examining the plants today I happened to look up and, lo and behold, there stood a tall black walnut tree about 45' from the affected corner of the garden. While I may lose a few more plants, I am so relieved that most likely only a small portion of the garden will be affected, and I can simply move the tomatoes deeper into the garden next year. I would rather have a walnut wilt that I can avoid than some nasty wilt disease spreading through my new garden.

TomNJVA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerns125 View Post
Bingo that is what I was thinking too.
Look like a case of root rot coming on.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #15
brian1269
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
OK, then totally ruling out bact. wilt, and Fusarium unless....but maybe did a possible contamination of ground soil get into the EB? Like even a small amount, such as my yard man did when he tipped the weed whacker at an angle and native soil got flung on top of the EB plastic mulch. Then I went to clean it off by hosing, which put some right down the holes where the plants were placed. In my case, that gave me nematodes in an EB, which I used to think was impossible. You could get a fusarium or bact wilt that way. On the side where it is yellowing, can you cut the stem off, then lengthwise and post photos? If you can, try to place the stem cut through a yellowing area. Get a closeup if you can. I am looking for if there is any brown in the vascular tissue of the stem.
This is about the best I could get. I cut off two different stems. Hope this is what you were looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160630_175305.jpg (361.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 20160630_180220.jpg (218.1 KB, 193 views)