Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 11, 2016   #31
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You have a long way to go before they put out seeds.
Mice are attracted to anything.
My whole area is loaded with mice living in the woods.

Worth
Oh, I know, I just don't want to lay out a welcome mat for the little critters since I don't think our neighbors would appreciate that much. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I know we have possums, too, because last year for some reason one of our neighbors apparently forgot a whole pineapple when unloading groceries and it sat against the back fence for days, slowly being eaten by something unseen. I came home late one night and saw the little possum having a feast on that pineapple, didn't even move when I got out of my car parked right in front of it.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #32
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I've been so bad about posting pictures, I'll try to get some up tonight. A lot of the poppies withered away when I put the seed tray out on the patio, but a few are hanging on and a few new sprouts popped up, so there's still hope yet. The hollyhock sprouts are still growing strong, no true leaves yet. More carrots sprouting every day it seems like, and I finally got some cilantro sprouting. I've grown cilantro before, in the ground, so I'm looking forward to having it again in a spot where it won't be munched on by rabbits. The Satsuma tree still has sad dying leaves, but also has some new suckers popping up at the base of the trunk, so maybe I shouldn't give up on him yet. The two peppers on my jalapeno plant are taking forever to grow, but the plant is doing fine and I see new leaves and buds on it due to our warm weather.
Old February 16, 2016   #33
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

You're on your way! Fun, isn't it!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2016   #34
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Time for a picture update! Forgot to get a good one of the hollyhock seeldings, but I'll post one as soon as I can. These show carrot sprouts, cilantro, sage, loads of new growth and buds on my jalepeno plant, and also the loads of new growth on the Satsuma tree even though the rest of the leaves are dying/dead (also pictured, what's that about?). Also pictured is something popping up in one of the flower boxes (possibly a zinnia) from the mixed flower seeds I planted over a year ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160217_165951.jpg (232.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170005.jpg (204.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170012.jpg (211.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170025.jpg (229.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170209.jpg (191.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170238.jpg (139.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170308.jpg (129.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170427.jpg (110.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170453.jpg (127.8 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 20160217_170502.jpg (167.4 KB, 151 views)
Old February 19, 2016   #35
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

The growth on the bottom of your satsuma tree is below the graft line and unfortunately is not satsuma growth but that of the rootstock. Cut those babies off of there they will only hinder the tree. Hopefully you get some growth above the graft line but if not im affraid the tree is toast. It just happened to me with a grafted Mexican seedless lime. The rootstock tried to grow back but the lime tree was dead.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #36
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
The growth on the bottom of your satsuma tree is below the graft line and unfortunately is not satsuma growth but that of the rootstock. Cut those babies off of there they will only hinder the tree. Hopefully you get some growth above the graft line but if not im affraid the tree is toast. It just happened to me with a grafted Mexican seedless lime. The rootstock tried to grow back but the lime tree was dead.
Thanks, I'll chop em off this afternoon. The last three pictures I posted are of the Satsuma, the third to last one (with my hand) shows all the leaf buds growing on one of the branches (several of the branches show this, I just took the one picture), so is there still hope?

Last edited by TexasTycoon; February 19, 2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old February 19, 2016   #37
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Your babies look wonderful! We are still cold here and I am not starting for another month, so your thread is keeping me happy in the meantime. Thank you!

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #38
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
Thanks, I'll chop em off this afternoon. The last three pictures I posted are of the Satsuma, the third to last one (with my hand) shows all the leaf buds growing on one of the branches (several of the branches show this, I just took the one picture), so is there still hope?
It should come back it just depends on how patient you want to be. If you want fruit sooner than later you may just want to start over with a new tree. Not sure how much trees are in Texas but her in California pretty much any citrus trees start around 15 bucks for a small tree with fruit on it.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old February 19, 2016   #39
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It should come back it just depends on how patient you want to be. If you want fruit sooner than later you may just want to start over with a new tree. Not sure how much trees are in Texas but her in California pretty much any citrus trees start around 15 bucks for a small tree with fruit on it.
I bought this one at Home Depot last year for around $20 but it didn't have any flowers or fruit on it. I think when I go get my tomato plant at my favorite local nursery I'll poke around and see what their fruit trees are like. They grow everything themselves, so anything I buy there is likely to be better off, and maybe I could give this satsuma to my mom or something so it can go in the ground and have a chance.
Old February 19, 2016   #40
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdambr View Post
Your babies look wonderful! We are still cold here and I am not starting for another month, so your thread is keeping me happy in the meantime. Thank you!
Glad to give you some green to look at!
Old February 19, 2016   #41
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
I bought this one at Home Depot last year for around $20 but it didn't have any flowers or fruit on it. I think when I go get my tomato plant at my favorite local nursery I'll poke around and see what their fruit trees are like. They grow everything themselves, so anything I buy there is likely to be better off, and maybe I could give this satsuma to my mom or something so it can go in the ground and have a chance.
I think you will be better off going with a new tree. When picking a new variety make sure it is a dwarf since its going in a pot. Depending on how old your satsuma tree is and if you kept the receipt you may be able to take it back to home depot. If im not mistaken they have a year warranty on the trees they sell.
Old February 19, 2016   #42
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think you will be better off going with a new tree. When picking a new variety make sure it is a dwarf since its going in a pot. Depending on how old your satsuma tree is and if you kept the receipt you may be able to take it back to home depot. If im not mistaken they have a year warranty on the trees they sell.
Me? Keep receipts? I'm lucky if I can find a receipt an hour after purchase, much less a year. I bought it last spring. When I did my research on the TAMU site, Seto was one of the varieties recommended for my area, and it said that any satsuma tree can be grown in a container, it will just only grow to the size of container it's in. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a dwarf satsuma tree, but I'll poke around at the nursery and see what they have and what they recommend.
Old February 19, 2016   #43
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Here's a collage from this afternoon. I kinda don't think that's a zinnia, it's just whatever is growing from the flower mix I planted last year. Zinnias are leggier, aren't they? I guess I'll know when that flower forms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160219_170417.jpg (545.4 KB, 114 views)
Old February 19, 2016   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Makes me smile.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #45
charley
Tomatovillian™

hollyhocks are biennial. they wont bloom till the second year but its worth the wait.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote