Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old August 12, 2015   #16
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

That's really interesting joseph.Thanks for that picture.I though that after the blossom faded,that the berry would form there...like tomatoes etc.

I had been browsing Mr Wagners website looking at varieties.One that looks like it might be a good candidate for me is Huagalina.The day-length is almost exactly the same as well.I don't know what altitude they normally perform best at,but at least the day length is the same.

http://tatermaterseeds.com/shop/inde...roducts_id=139
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #17
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

I stole some small skagit valley gold last week form a not yet ready hill.
They were superb.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #18
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
I stole some small skagit valley gold last week form a not yet ready hill.
They were superb.
That's another one that caught my attention,based on the info in the sticky.I wonder if the Peruvian heritage might make this one a possibility for me? Mr. Wagner said he would get me a couple of suggestions together,and I could give those a whirl..

Just need to be patient.This is a BUSY season for him,and his time is at a premium.
Old August 13, 2015   #19
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Huagalina is one of those that is not adapted for the long daylengths of temperate environments. Whether it is adapted to your climate, I'm not sure. If you are close to the equator, then probably yes.

Andean seed sources from Peruvian lowlands tend to be short daylength types. Highland varieties or Chilean varieties tend to be adapted to longer daylengths. Tom likes to breed from the genetics of all the groups, and then select for ones adapted to longer daylengths in his breeding lines.

Joseph is 100% correct about his estimate of only about 15% setting berries. Somewhere around 80-85% of modern commercial varieties suffer from cytoplasmic sterility or male pollen sterility. If you want to regrow from TPS, you would need to throw out the bulk of commercial seed and start with known fertile varieties or those that regularly do produce TPS.

Tom's web shop is typically open for a month or two each year, in the January through March time frame.

Last edited by NathanP; August 13, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #20
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

I reside near the equator,so I do need a short day length variety I am sure.Peru is roughly 12*S and we reside at roughly 16*N.I'm looking forward to hearing what he might recommend,and then getting some started.
Old August 13, 2015   #21
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I was thinking of having someone test my TPS that is derived from Peru and Colombia from diploids but are now tetraploids. Not having tuberosum background might be helpful. Yes I have eighty lbs of tomatoes to extract and many hundreds of potato berries needing my attention.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2015   #22
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'll summarize what I have from growing here in a hot humid climate. Three fingerlings are exceptionally good performers: La Ratte, French Fingerling, and Russian Banana. Kennebec is the only commercial variety that is consistently highly productive and heat tolerant.

I have 3 varieties from Tom Wagner that perform well in the heat. Chellan is a medium to large white potato that makes an exceptionally good crop of frying potatoes. Azul Toro is a very good blue potato in the heat and humidity. It can be used boiled, baked, and made into shoestrings. I have one for which I don't know the name but it has purple skin and cream flesh. It is the best early maturing potato I grow.

I have some unusual varieties growing this year that are doing decently well, but I would not recommend them until I've grown them 2 or 3 more years.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #23
moray-eel-bite
Tomatovillian™

Tropicalgrower, I have some seed collected from a red fleshed fingerling (Amarosa). Here is the description:
AmaRosa is a mid-season fingerling potato with a smooth bright red skin, and deep red flesh. These creamy nutritious fingerlings are great for baking, roasting, and grilling. AmaRosa also make fantastically colorful potato chips as they retain their bright red color when fried.
Obviously, you may get almost anything since they're open pollinated, but if you'd like to try some TPS, I'll send some along.
If you' like I can send you ~30 seeds or so to try. Just PM your address.
moray-eel-bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2015   #24
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the very kind offer moray.I sent you a note regarding Amarosa.
Old August 25, 2015   #25
moray-eel-bite
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post
Thank you for the very kind offer moray.I sent you a note regarding Amarosa.
Seeds are on their way today. Good luck with growing them out.

Cheers,

MEB
Old August 26, 2015   #26
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray-eel-bite View Post

Cheers,

MEB
Thanks so much MEB!

I'm going to have the wife look around for some extra rice bags.I can then cut them in half and have them sewn into bags that would probably be in the area of 7-10 gal size.That should be sufficient for a trial grow I hope.I'll have her also look for bigger sizes.I know that there are bigger sizes,but I don't know how porous they are.They still need to drain and breathe.

Trop
Old September 10, 2015   #27
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray-eel-bite View Post

Cheers,

MEB
The seeds arrived at my Sisters and will be shipped out in a couple of weeks.

I very much appreciate your sharing the seed.

Thank You.

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; September 10, 2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old September 12, 2015   #28
moray-eel-bite
Tomatovillian™

No worries. It's nice to share. Others have sent me seeds here, so just paying it forward a bit.