Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2018   #1
Obsidian
Tomatovillian™

Default grub's mystery green is orange

I was given a plant of gmg this spring. The seeds came from the seeds trade on this site. Its a nice big plant and I was excites to see my first one starting to turn gold a couple days ago.

Picked it today only to discover it was bright orange, inside and out. No green anywhere at all except for the gel around the seeds. There was a little pink streaking inside and very little seeds, it was more like a thicky meaty paste.

Tasted pretty good, it wasn't ripe enough so I expect it would have been much better. Is this variety unstable or? Oh, its a RL too. If I remember right, there may have been a PL from the same batch of seeds. Sorry, no pictures. I'll make sure to get some next time.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2018   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I haven't heard of an orange, but there is a "Grub's Mystery Green Red" variant.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I was given a plant of gmg this spring. The seeds came from the seeds trade on this site. Its a nice big plant and I was excites to see my first one starting to turn gold a couple days ago.

Picked it today only to discover it was bright orange, inside and out. No green anywhere at all except for the gel around the seeds. There was a little pink streaking inside and very little seeds, it was more like a thicky meaty paste.

Tasted pretty good, it wasn't ripe enough so I expect it would have been much better. Is this variety unstable or? Oh, its a RL too. If I remember right, there may have been a PL from the same batch of seeds. Sorry, no pictures. I'll make sure to get some next time.
Do you mean a seed trade or a seed offer and I ask since there's a big difference.

No,it is not unstable.

Right now I'm looking at my 2017 Seed Savers Annual Yearbook and looking at those who were offering this variety and they all say pretty much the same.

I'll just use initials here,not real names and say a bit about each person.

DK from IL, long time SSE member and knows what he is doing re tomatoes.

SSE =Seed Savers Exchange

NL from IL, known him forever and one of my very best seed producers for many years and still is. Also lists many hundreds in the Annual Yearbook

AL, from Ohio, again a longtime SSE member who lists about several hundred varieties,and yes,I know him well.

BM, WI, another long time SSE member who also lists hundreds of varieties and has done seed production for me for many years as well..

And here's a link that will tell you everything you need to know about Grub himself,he's from Australia and was a member here for many years, and be sure to read the links in the Tomatoville entry and some other well known seed sites as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grub...&bih=815&dpr=1

If someone gets a color other than green, Tormato just mentioned red,it's due to a cross pollination or a mutation and is no longer true Grub's Mystery Green.

I hope the above helps..

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2018   #4
Obsidian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks carolyn, it does help. I honestly don't know how the seeds were sourced. My mom is the one who gets them. Some big exchange or? She gets a ton of tomato, pepper and beans seeds every year.

She also has a gmg, it has proper leaves so lets hope it produces true. Whatever I ended up with, I think it might make a nice paste so I'll likely save seeds. I'm not normally a fan of orange but this one is tasty.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2018   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default grub's mystery green is orange

Very mysterious indeed!
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote