Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 3, 2017   #1
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Good bush bean

This year I grew Provider, Tendergreen, Jade, Maxibel, and Cosmos. I am liking Cosmos, super production on a squat bushy plant, and the taste is excellent.
What do you guys think? I do like all of these varieties, but had to pick my winner.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! I've never tried Cosmos but I've always been very happy with the production and taste of Provider. We enjoyed some with supper tonight

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Provider and tendergreen are my go-tos for bush beans. Have not heard of that one but interested in it from your review . Where did you get your seeds? KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #4
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=KarenO;658360]Provider and tendergreen are my go-tos for bush beans. Have not heard of that one but interested in it from your review . Where did you get your seeds? KarenO[/QUOTE

I got them from Johnny's. I think you will like them Karen
Old August 3, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Provider is one I've grown that we liked. Top Crop is another we liked even more. I have not grown the others you listed.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we grow Jade, provider and contender for regular greenbeans. I like them all as long as they aren't too big. I also grew goldrush for a yellow bean this year. excellent yellow bean. I have tenderette, royal burgundy, igloo and roma II in the field. I grew igloos last year and they were very good also. On Tuesday night we picked 4 bu off of three 100' rows (2 contenders and 2 rows of jade ready) and today I picked the last row that we didn't ouch on Tuesday and picked 2 1/2 bushels off of it since the beans were a little bit bigger. I went over the next 2 rows and picked two more bushels tonight. I have a lot of beans in the cooler. I didn't even repick one row. I called a friend and asked if she wanted to come pick it in the morning. I just don't have time.

I have to correct this... we grew Strike this year not Jade. I was tired last night. I planted two 100' rows of strike and one of Igloo last night before picking 2 more bushels of beans. came in at dark.

Last edited by clkeiper; August 4, 2017 at 07:31 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #7
agee12
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing beans, I did not get a lot of production but Strike and Stickless Wonder (a Yard Long variety) were tasty. According to reviews I read Strike is very prolific so I probably did something wrong and that's why my production was so-so.

Last edited by agee12; August 4, 2017 at 05:57 AM.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default The beans

Going to the market. I grow 5 plants in old tomato bags, so I can get a second shot at using the soil, I think I at least can pay for my tomato pro mix by doing this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0199.JPG (371.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0200.JPG (359.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0201.JPG (375.4 KB, 135 views)
Old August 6, 2017   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful crop of beans, Mark! I've grown all in your list but Cosmos and Provider remains our favorite. Florence was my second favorite bush bean of the ones I've tried. Now I want to try Cosmos, of course. It's about time I ordered from Johnny's again anyway.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

OMG Mark! I can't believe all the beans you have! Of the varieties you're growing, I've only tried Maxibell.

I'll freeze beans if I have too many, but my preference is to use them fresh and pick only what I can use for a couple of days. So many varieties produce all at once, which is great if you're canning or freezing, but not so great if you're like me.

I started off the season with Potomac pole beans and they were great at the beginning but then the texture stared getting not so great. I pulled those. Now I've put in Commodore bush beans. In the past, I've liked these because the harvest is all spread out over about a month, not a one time picking. I've heard similar comments about Landreth Stringless so I've ordered seeds for that, as well.

Congrats on all your great bean production! I hope everyone really liked them.
Old August 6, 2017   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am going to have to go back to bush beans the summers are too wicked hot for poles.

Nice crop Mark.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They look great Mark, and a lot of them. I hope you get top $ for them.

Not to change any focus on the thread - but our pole beans didn't like the heat either. I need to do some research on that matter.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #13
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. Beans will grow up here outside, but they are marginal. In the GH's they do very good, and I can grow the tasty ones, not just the earliest producers. I like the bush beans, pole beans are a mess in the GH. I really want to find super tasty varieties, they are quit the hit at the markets.
Old August 7, 2017   #14
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

While I've tried lots of varieties of both bush and pole beans over the years;we kept coming back to one. I grow Blue Lake bush beans every year. We always get a huge harvest. This year, I planted one 105' row and one 50' row. It was one line in each row with seeds three inches apart. Seedlings were up in one week. No thinning was needed. Beans were ready to start picking after 53 days.

I did the first picking when mature beans first showed up. Then my brother's family and I picked 7 days later. With blooms getting scarce 8 days after that, we did the final harvest as we pulled the vines. So, what did we get. I got ~5 bushels, and my brother's family got over 8 bushels.

The mission was to provide canned green beans to our 7 households for the coming year. Mission accomplished!

P.S. The okra is also plentiful enough that we'll enjoy fried okra all winter long.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

AKMark did you weigh the beans or just box them? how many beans did you plant nad hwo much of a harvest did you get?

we grew Strike and contender for the two crops we just picked. I planted the same day and they were supposed to be ready about a week apart. we picked the same day. 4 100' rows were ready at the same time. we picked 8 bu in 4 days and the need to be gone over today and picked again.