Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Something new at Menards.

I spied something I hadn't seen before on a recent trip to Menards -- a 3.5 gallon (green) pail that looked very useful for gardening. I've never been fond of the typical 5 gal. too tall and narrow pails, but this one looks shorter and wider. They are also advertising a 2 gal. version but I didn't see it in the store. Made of HDPE, it's recyclable. Definitely worth trying at an everyday price of $2.79, and maybe make a couple of self watering versions.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Even better (for me) is a free kitty litter pail! They are nice and sturdy and last for years (unlike the numerous trugs that I've paid big bucks for, only to have them split). If you have a friend who uses the contents, you are all set, otherwise you have to check out people's recycling bins or visit the dump!

These pails also make great nests for chickens! Turned on their sides, the small lid stops the eggs from falling out

Linda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shopping[1].jpg (6.8 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Labradors2; February 5, 2018 at 11:30 AM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

If I fill a five gallon with anything heavier than grass clippings, it's too heavy. If I fill a 2 gallon, I'm always overfilling it. 3.5 sounds about right. Also might be good for a small determinate or dwarf.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I feed goldfish and the food comes in this nice, solid pail, about three gallons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51qtNiN8GwL._SY90_.jpg (4.0 KB, 80 views)
Old February 5, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I feed goldfish and the food comes in this nice, solid pail, about three gallons.
Is this stuff expensive?
I need to start setting up my bait thank/tanks and need to feed the fish.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2018   #6
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Even better (for me) is a free kitty litter pail! They are nice and sturdy and last for years (unlike the numerous trugs that I've paid big bucks for, only to have them split). If you have a friend who uses the contents, you are all set, otherwise you have to check out people's recycling bins or visit the dump!

These pails also make great nests for chickens! Turned on their sides, the small lid stops the eggs from falling out

Linda
I have a dwarf tomato plant growing in one of these right now, as a matter of fact. I painted it tan with some brown and white flecking, so it looks nicer, but it was originally a kitty litter bucket from Sam's Club. I drilled a hole 2" up the side for drainage, too.