Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 18, 2018   #16
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybo! View Post
The plant by the window- I think is a very healthy giant ragweed? The grey one might be dusty miller?

Oh no I have enough allergies!

Dusty Miller seldom overwinters here. It did sometimes when I lived in New Jersey. We treat it as an annual here.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #17
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;704880]It would look great for foliage in a pot. It stays short. You can use it in place of using all annuals in a display of clustered pots to save money. Not a bad deal for cheap color.

- Lisa[/QUOTE

Ha! I actually tried plonking it's pot on top of a planter and the darned thing grew a mass of roots out through the bottom of the pot!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #18
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Your silver plant in question is an Artemisia. Silver Mound is also in this family. I think that yours is Artemisia absinthium. I have grown it. It does spread. It is a great filler for cut flower arrangements. You can also dry it and use it for dried cut floral pieces. It is easily contained if you put a ring around it that is also buried about 6-8 inches under the soil or just dig a ring around it each spring.

I also agree with the vote for ragweed.
Old June 19, 2018   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

We have a couple of patches of ribbon grass at the farm - they aren't invasive but maybe the beds where they were put for a reason, are not likely to spread anywhere. They are a nice producer of foliage for bouquets... rather nice, really!

I looked up Rose Campion and it is really pretty, and I have another plant similar to that foliage called Silver Speedwell - it is not a bit invasive here though. You could do a multicolor flower bank with either of these and snow in summer... Would be nice. It's hard to tell from a photo but the Snow in Summer has more of a spiky foliage just very narrow linear leaves and lots of them, while the silver speedwell and rose campion have more of a 'leaf shaped' leaf. (can you say that???)
I've grown several artemisias including absinthium, and the leaf is nothing like your picture . The absinthe or wormwood is very strongly scented if you rub a leaf between your fingers once you will never mistake it for another plant.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #20
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry, I need to correct that. It is ARTEMESIA LUDOVICIANA. Still a very beautiful plant.
Old June 20, 2018   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Here is a close up of a pulled stem of the mystery plant. Along side in the pot is an Artemesia from a garden club sale, waiting to be planted in very sandy soil in a sunny spot at the lake.

We are finally getting rain and a short lived break from the heat this week. It will be a few days to do a sniff test. I didn't smell anything on the square leaf plant, and after seeing bee balm about to bloom at the garden center, this can be ruled out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artemesia.JPG (134.2 KB, 48 views)
Old June 20, 2018   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Did I miss an ID for the first photo? In the landscape pic, it is to the left of the rock , on the left side of the photo.

- Lisa
Old June 20, 2018   #23
bower
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, I think it must be Rose Campion or Silver Speedwell or something else... the Snow in Summer has a narrower leaf and very bunched together - shorter internodes, at least as it grows here...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #24
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Bower, I don't think it's Rose Campion. https://wimastergardener.org/article...nis-coronaria/

I have Rose Campion and love it. A friend was helping me to weed and she suggested that it was invasive, but I told her that I had planted seedlings all over because it looks so pretty interspersed with anything. They are really flourishing with all the rain we had early on, and now I am wondering if they really are invasive {LOL}. Not a problem as they are easy enough to pull if I have to .

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; June 20, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old June 21, 2018   #25
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I didn't think it looked like rose campion, either. The campion does seed itself freely but is easy to get rid of, here anyway. I find it easy to keep the 'invasive' dame's rocket under control too and always leave some for the hummingbirds.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #26
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh I LOVE Dame's Rocket (and its wonderful fragrance), even if it is a huge plant that I have to evict from my front flower beds! We created large new area with shrubs and perennials and anything wild was allowed too (if approved by me). Last spring the Dame's Rocket was everywhere and gorgeous, but this year there's not much of it - sigh...…

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; June 22, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old June 21, 2018   #27
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

No, now that the leaf shape is clearly visible, definitely not rose campion. I have lots of it and the leaf color is similar but not the shape.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #28
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default One of the Mystery Plants is Starting to Bloom

Here is a clue, any guesses as to the square stemmed plant? This photo was taken in a different garden, but I believe it is the same plant. The tallest plant, including stem, is approx 2.5 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5723.JPG (136.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5722.JPG (132.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; June 23, 2018 at 11:00 PM.