Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2017   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Ukrainian Paste ?

The seeds I received just said Ukrainian Paste. Are these funny shaped fruits it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThessalonianRioGrande 025.JPG (135.4 KB, 156 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
The seeds I received just said Ukrainian Paste. Are these funny shaped fruits it?
Starlight, what was the source of your seeds as to a commercial site and if so what did the seed pack say,perhaps a trade from somewhere and did you know the person with whom you traded, and I ask since I'm not familiar with a variety called Ukranian Paste. Hopefully someone here knows it with that name.

I did a wee bit of Googling,nothing,but I was sent to Amishland, a section on Russian/Ukranian varieties,and this got me laughing,which I needed

ORANGE RUSSIAN 117 TOMATO - This was my favorite new bi-color (striped) tomato that I have ever grown, and believe me, I have grown lots as I adore the striations and marbling . This gorgeous tomato hails from the famous seed bank of the former Soviet Union. This is the first heart shaped (oxheart) tomato ever discovered with stripes. It is bi-colored both outside

Really, from the famous Russian Seed Bank of the Soviet Union?

I think not since it was bred by Jeff Dawson in California,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ge_Russian_117

Lisa is back with a lot of her, well I just can't bring myself to describe what she writes, especially if it's one that I introduced and she gives a fictitious background. There's a thread here in the plant and seed source Forum and when you want a chuckle, take time to read it.

Cherokee Purple for her is Native American

Green Grape for her is Eeeny Weeny Greenie

Q.E.D.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2017   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Starlight, what was the source of your seeds as to a commercial site and if so what did the seed pack say,perhaps a trade from somewhere and did you know the person with whom you traded, and I ask since I'm not familiar with a variety called Ukranian Paste. Hopefully someone here knows it with that name.

I did a wee bit of Googling,nothing,but I was sent to Amishland, a section on Russian/Ukranian varieties,and this got me laughing,which I needed

ORANGE RUSSIAN 117 TOMATO - This was my favorite new bi-color (striped) tomato that I have ever grown, and believe me, I have grown lots as I adore the striations and marbling . This gorgeous tomato hails from the famous seed bank of the former Soviet Union. This is the first heart shaped (oxheart) tomato ever discovered with stripes. It is bi-colored both outside

Really, from the famous Russian Seed Bank of the Soviet Union?

I think not since it was bred by Jeff Dawson in California,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ge_Russian_117

Lisa is back with a lot of her, well I just can't bring myself to describe what she writes, especially if it's one that I introduced and she gives a fictitious background. There's a thread here in the plant and seed source Forum and when you want a chuckle, take time to read it.

Cherokee Purple for her is Native American

Green Grape for her is Eeeny Weeny Greenie

Q.E.D.

Carolyn
Thanks for the chuckles Carolyn! Russian Seed Bank of the Soviet Union. Unreal. I look for that other thread. Nothing like a good laugh at the end of the day.

Thanks for trying to help. I was hoping maybe you would chime in and would know. The seed came from a friend. I'll have to see if I can contact her and find out where she got the seed. She does some trading, but mainly buys seed. Usually her seeds are as described, though once in awhile she gets some commercial ones that aren't.

I had tried googling too and was hoping I would find something on Tania's site, but was surprised when I didn't, since she has most everything.

I've grown Roma before and I think that is a paste, but other than that I'm not familiar with pastes, so have no idea what they should look like.

These sort of remind me of peanut shapes with giant nipples on the bottom.
Old July 11, 2017   #4
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Many pastes are long and skinny fruits.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

Nan

Yes, there are quite a few that are shaped like this. I have four growing this year -- Buddy Runyon, San Marzano Redorta, Blue Beech, and Nudi Family Heirloom.

Others I've grown include Federle, Opalka, Jersey Devil, Cuor Del Drago, and Hog Heart Paste. And I have seeds for probably another 8-10 elongated pastes I haven't grown yet.

If you go to the Tomatobase and search for "Elongated Paste" they should all come up. Maybe there's a Ukrainian variety among the bunch.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Yes, there are quite a few that are shaped like this. I have four growing this year -- Buddy Runyon, San Marzano Redorta, Blue Beech, and Nudi Family Heirloom.

Others I've grown include Federle, Opalka, Jersey Devil, Cuor Del Drago, and Hog Heart Paste. And I have seeds for probably another 8-10 elongated pastes I haven't grown yet.

If you go to the Tomatobase and search for "Elongated Paste" they should all come up. Maybe there's a Ukrainian variety among the bunch.
I was the one who got Cuore del Drago from Roberta in italy, and it was supposed to be a heart, but wasn't. I listed it in a seed offer, but deleted it ASAP as I recall.

What did you get and I ask since curore in Italian means heart and I seem to recall that yes, some were getting long red paste types like Opalka,Howard German and others.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuore_Del_Drago

I never distributed seeds for it to any vendors for trial although I think that Jeff Casey in Canada got some from someone,maybe me???, etc. since if a variety turns out not to be what it's supposed to be I don't want to be responsible for distributing wrong varieties.

Carolyn
Old July 11, 2017   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Check this one out , called Linguisia.
I have also heard of Polish Linguisi ?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linguisia.jpg (7.1 KB, 112 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

Nan
Thanks Nan! Glad to know I'm not growing another mutant this year.

Quote:

Great idea! I'll give that a try and see what comes up. I had planted seeds of Jersey Devil. Liked the name, but unfortunately it was one of the seedlings that got destroyed from flooding and hurricane winds this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
How pretty Gardeneer! How's it taste?
Old July 11, 2017   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

Actually, I believe that's another elongated one I grew once. Again, there are plenty of them out there.

Dad has been growing one for decades that he was given (in tomato form...) from a friend's neighbor. Trying to find out what it might be is what originally led me to Tomatoville. Little did I know there were so many possibilities!
Old July 11, 2017   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I was the one who got Cuore del Drago from Roberta in italy, and it was supposed to be a heart, but wasn't. I listed it in a seed offer, but deleted it ASAP as I recall.

What did you get and I ask since curore in Italian means heart and I seem to recall that yes, some were getting long red paste types like Opalka,Howard German and others.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cuore_Del_Drago

I never distributed seeds for it to any vendors for trial although I think that Jeff Casey in Canada got some from someone,maybe me???, etc. since if a variety turns out not to be what it's supposed to be I don't want to be responsible for distributing wrong varieties.

Carolyn

Yes, I originally received some seeds from your seed offer but had zero germination. Another member here saw my post about not having any luck and offered me seeds for it (I forget who it was).

It did grow elongated pastes with a dimple just above the point and were a good size. So far, closest I've encountered to what my dad grows, but my production was very low as the plant did not survive very long.

If grafting proves to be the savior of my tomato growing venture, I am definitely going to try it again.
Old July 12, 2017   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Just to spice things up here, I think it will be yellow or black or orange
Not saying yet why I think so just yet but lets wait and see...
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; July 12, 2017 at 02:13 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Here is one possibility:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sabelka

And here's a discussion from 2010 with more information on them and an alternative name they were being sold under:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14467

But if Karen is right, then none of this applies!
Old July 13, 2017   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Just to spice things up here, I think it will be yellow or black or orange
Not saying yet why I think so just yet but lets wait and see...
KarenO
Cool! Now I'm going to be looking at it like crazy to see what it turns. Probably going to be the last one to ripen here since it was so late making tomatoes.

Quote:
Here is one possibility:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sabelka

And here's a discussion from 2010 with more information on them and an alternative name they were being sold under:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14467

But if Karen is right, then none of this applies!
Thanks for the link to the threads. I had planned on saving seed and sending it in for swap and extras in Trading Forum but wonder if I should if a positive id is not made?
Old February 24, 2018   #14
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Anyone have anymore info or experience with Ukranian Paste?

Color? Size? Juicy or dry? Production? Flavor?

I just received seeds in my MMMM package and thought I'd post my question here (rather than the MMMM question thread).