Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 3, 2015   #1
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default Assistance, Please in Finding Tomato Seeds

I live in Greensboro, N.C. which is in Zone 7B. My small (1500 sq ft garden is also in an endemic area for Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. I am seeking a source from which I may purchase two varieties of

UNITED GENETICS SEEDS:

HYBRID SUPER CHROMO F1 and HYBRID RESOSADO F1.

I wish to purchase quantities of 25 to 100 seeds of each variety; both are indeterminate and TSWV resistant/tolerant.

I have contacted bot United Genetics and their seed adviser for the southeast area who tell me that they only sell to commercial accounts.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I am NOT seeking free seeds, only a way to purchase a small quantity of those two varieties listed above.

Thanks,
tlcmd

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Let me send an email and see what I can do. No guarantees, but since I run a business, I'm likely to get a better response. Are there any you are interested besides the two listed? Also, have you looked at Health Kick hybrid?
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Interesting company. They have a selection of TSW resistant peppers too.

-Lisa

PMR resistant cucumbers and squash , this is a find!

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 3, 2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added squash
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #4
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default United Genetics

Fusion Power,
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate any effort on your part to help me get those seeds.
Those happen to be the two in which I am interested. Several years ago I did get (as a gift) a few Super Chromo F1 seeds and a now, non-listed Italian tomato.from the gift of the company. As this is a hybrid, there was no point in saving seeds. However both did wonderfully well in my garden.

I have not tried Health Kick tomatoes since they are not TSWV tolerant/resistant. I've learned several years ago not to plant any which are not so resistant. I've tried many varieties and used companion planting, surrounding the non-resistant plants with resistant ones, all to no avail. If I want to plant tomatoes, they have to be TSWV resistant.

Johnny's Select Seeds does have Bolseno which has done well, and I've tried some of the ones from Twilley which have several TSWV resistant ones, but finding a non-determinate plant which is TSWV is difficult. Especially if I want a good slicing tomato.
Thanks in advance for any assistance. While I would welcome free seeds, I am expecting to pay for the ones I get.
Thanks again,
tlcmd

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
Old November 3, 2015   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I've had seed for Health Kick for years and never grown it but it seems to me also it is TSWV resistant.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #6
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Health Kick Hybrid, while not a slicer, is definitely listed as being TSWV resistant, although you may have already tried it and not found that to be the case? Burpee also sells it and does not list any resistance, but I've noticed they're not big on doing that.

http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?...+Hybrid+Tomato
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #7
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on Health Kick. However, I am also seeking an indeterminate slicing tomato rather than a determinate saladette one, but will keep Health Kick on my list of tomatoes to try.

Last edited by tlcmd; November 3, 2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old November 4, 2015   #8
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Just to follow up on the above comments, here is the description of Health Kick.

HealthKick (25320) - Breeder and vendor: Petoseed. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, fresh market, medium large plant, deep blocky fruit, uniform green shoulders, firm, uniform size, good color. Resistance: verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, gray leaf spot, alternaria stem canker, bacterial speck, spotted wilt virus. Adaptation: home gardens United States. Similar: Aztec. 1999.

Note that it is resistant to Spotted Wilt Virus. It is only from one of the breeding lines the best I can tell so not as strong as it would be if both lines had sw-5.

http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/Data/Acc/Gen...aspx?Gene=sw-5
Old November 4, 2015   #9
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Fusion, Thanks for the info. I am hoping to find a good indeterminate slicing tomato which is tswv tolerant/resistant; HealthKick is a determinate variety, unfortunately
and bearing only 4 oz fruits is a saladette rather than a slicing tomato. I am awaiting mt Twilley's catalog as they carry several lines of TSWV tolerant/resistant indeterminate tomatoes.
But I am hoping you will have some luck with finding me a source of United Genetics SUPER CHROMO F1 SEEDS.
Thanks.
tlcmd

Old November 4, 2015   #10
Desert Jonathan
Tomatovillian™

Hello tlcmd, how are you today?
I do not know if Peron Sprayless has any of the resistances that you are looking for, so maybe it would be a great tomato for you to research. I can however tell you that it is
a great red slicing indeterminate. Good luck in your search.

-Jonathan.
Desert Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2015   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I got a response back that the following companies carry their seed in the U.S. I also found out that if you want a particular variety, you may have to call and ask. I emailed Seedway to see if they can get a small amount of Super Cromo and Resosado seed. I'll update if I can get them.

Seedway - http://www.seedway.com/ I usually buy quite a bit from them every year
Siegers - http://siegers.com/
Champion - http://www.championseed.com/
Clifton - https://www.cliftonseed.com/

Resosado seems to be a no show. Are you sure you got it from United Genetics? I found Super Cromo on their website back at least 5 years but no Resosado.

Last edited by Fusion_power; November 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old November 21, 2015   #12
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

Have you grown Bella Rosa F1 hybrid? It's listed as TSWV Disease Resistance/Tolerance.
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2015   #13
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if you meant Reposado F1? If so, I only found it at United Genetics and a Spanish company called Akira Seeds.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote