Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 3, 2015   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I might have to order stainless steel. Mine already have a couple rust spots on them. I assume I should probably wipe them down with oil before storing, huh?

Anyway... everyone liked the meatloaf. I even liked the texture. not crumbly like regular beef meatloaf.

I made it with 2#'s of ground meat (no fat added), 3 eggs, 5 slices of bread soaked with milk, a handful (maybe too big of one) dried garlic , about 1/4 cup of bacon ends and salt.
Old December 3, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I might have to order stainless steel. Mine already have a couple rust spots on them. I assume I should probably wipe them down with oil before storing, huh?

Anyway... everyone liked the meatloaf. I even liked the texture. not crumbly like regular beef meatloaf.

I made it with 2#'s of ground meat (no fat added), 3 eggs, 5 slices of bread soaked with milk, a handful (maybe too big of one) dried garlic , about 1/4 cup of bacon ends and salt.

First off Carolyn I am glad everyone liked your meat loaf.
Here is the deal with carbon steel.
I am going to take the time to explain all of this and hope you aren't insulted because you already know it.
First I dont know why they matched a stainless cutting blade with carbon steel plates.
But anyway.
When you get steel so clean there is no oil on it and it is so hot the water evaporates from it.
And the humidity is very high almost immediately it will form rust.
It will drive you crazy.
This can be a friend or foe depending on what you are doing.
This orange coloring of rust can be sanded off or steel wooled off and the steel will have a grey stain on it.
This is no big deal unless you are a sushi chef.
What you need to do whit carbon steel is to get it clean and dry it off with a dry towel and dunk it in mineral oil as fast as you can.
The oil will displace the water.
Just use the mineral oil they have at the store in the drug section.
It wont hurt the plates to have a grey patina on them.
My old ones do.
Now how to store them.
#10-12 grinder plates will just fit right inside your standard # 300 can this is the one a 14 to 15 or so ounce vegetables come in.
Or you can use a wide mouth pint jar.
Get a string and tie a short bamboo stick on each end put your knife and plates on the string by running the stick through.
Or you can make a tee with wire and put your plates on it.
What ever you decide to do just make it so the stick or wire can be grabbed and the stuff pulled out of the can or jar.
This will keep your stuff from rusting and help keep them sharp.
A few words on grinder plates.
They make about 3 different kinds.

Carbon steel ;like you have.
Stainless steel that is flat on both sides like yours.
And stainless steel that has a hub on one end.
This hub is there so you can grab it and pull the plate out easy.
Here is what I do with the ones with or without the hubs.
I simply bump the grinder switch with my hands out of the way and let everything fall into the bowl if it does fall.
There is no need to be sticking you fingers in there to get this stuff out.
Some people use a few slices of bread to help clean out the grinder and the holes in the plates.
Other people use crushed ice.
Big chunks of ice will lock the grinder up.
If you plan on using the grinder for stuffing you can buy a foot switch to run the grinder while you are stuffing.
I have stuffed with a stick and spoon.
With a grinder and with a stuffer.
I can say right now the stuffier is by far the best way to go.
Don't over size your stuffer.
A really big one will be a nightmare trying to stuff meat through a small 1/2 inch stuffing tube.
My 15 pound stuffer is just about the limit on size for this.
A smaller 5 pound one would be much better.
Tall narrow containers are better than short fat ones.
The reason is you dont have as much volume of meat being pushed into a small tube.

Now that you have a meat grinder I suggest you get a small 10 pound stuffer and make your own sausage.
You simply cannot believe how much better the stuff is.
I like meat grinding and stuffing so much I dont even consider it work.

Worth
Here is a link to the plates but the assortment of stainless steel is out of stock till after the first of the year.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/10-12-gr...tes-s/2106.htm

Here is the little 5 pound stuffer.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/5-lb-Sau...-p/18-1011.htm
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Not insulted in the least. I will never claim to be a "Rocket Scientist" (although it amazes me how little stuffing some people seem to have where their brains are supposed to be) I didn't know what you wrote. Thanks for the info. Maybe I will order a set of the SS 10/12 plates later. I won't today, I need to make sure I am utilizing the machine before I spend more money on it. But I will store the plates in mineral oil. When I pull them out of the oil do I need to wash that off or can I just wipe it off and proceed to work?
We don't eat sausage so I am not sure if I will try it or not (and kielbasi ugh! *gag!*)
Old December 3, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't worry about the plates just use the ones you have.
Even with today's inflation $70 is a lot of money to spend on something you hardly ever use.
I had to sit down and justify the tons of money I have spent on my stuff.
But I use mine year round not just deer season.
As you may have read before my reasons were sanitation quality and economy.
This means I have to keep track of how much of what I have and make more when I run out.
It also means I had to train myself to not buy the stuff and utilize the contraptions and them not just sit on a shelf.
There are probably thousands and thousands of kitchenAid mixers meat grinders stuffers food processors water bath canners pressure cookers and pasta rollers just sitting and collecting dust.

Worth
Old December 3, 2015   #20
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

A-yep! Many appliances just taking up space not getting used or utilized. Makes me sad especially when I read about people who can't feed their kids on 500.00 a month....because they have no idea how to cook.. I just read a story that the mother didn't know you could eat peppers raw.

I found a pressure canner at a goodwill not long ago. I snagged it and cleaned it up and gave it to a friend who needed it so she could can greenbeans and meat. As long as my things come back in the condition they left in I lend them out to friends. canners, juicer kettle, the meat grinder if one needs it, whatever I have. no need to hoard it when someone could have helped themselves when the produce was ready to process.
Old December 3, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Before I had my own welder I borrowed one from a friends dad I didnt know.
When I gave it back he didn't think it was his.
The thing looked brand new.
This insured me I could always borrow something from him.
I keep looking for canners on line and at the second hand stores and good will I can never fined anything.

Worth
Old December 5, 2015   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Got a 3rd deer yesterday. that grinder sure came in useful this week. I also bought 30#'s of chicken breast.. boneless skinless at the store and canned that today I ended up with two canners of quart jars. I filled them about 1/2 full of chicken breast and a stalk of celery, 1 carrot and clove of garlic... two canners just got done.
Old December 5, 2015   #23
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

A third deer..... i am jealous. Nice job!
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2015   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hows the front end of the car holding up?

Worth
Old December 5, 2015   #25
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Ahh, Worth... if you only knew... around here the deer car collisions are unbelievable. When I took a friend to Columbus at the end of Oct for a doctors appt we counter at least 10 dead deer on I71 S from car accidents from Sat. night to Mon. morning. Kevin and I had just come back through there on Sat from a couple day vacation and there were not any dead deer like we saw on Mon... My very same friend had a friend call them on Sunday night-I think...( he had been following someone who hit a deer) When the state patrolman came to tag it for them he mentioned he had never had so many reports as there was this year. I can stand outside and see them almost everyday. THANKFULLY we haven't hit any lately.. I hope never again.

Thanks Heirloomguy... It is my son doing the work, not me. I just cut them up and process it.
This morning as I was grinding meat I hear FOUR shots.. 4? I wondered if the hunter was bad shot or got 4 deer . My son went on Monday morning right behind our house. within an hour he had two deer, one shot each... today the dog is sick, I suspect from scarfing the guts when she snuck out one night.
Old December 7, 2015   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn they are horrible here too.

When I was looking for a meat grinder I looked at all sorts of videos.
Some of which were comical to say the least.
What I listened for was the motor the see how or if it was under a strain while grinding.

Here is an example of over kill on a meat grinder for most people.
This guy went out and bought a #42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqzms7D3Mk
Old December 7, 2015   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I went to my daughters final ( an acting class) at college tonight up near Cleveland... I was going 20mph and almost hit 4 FOUR count em... FOUR deer. they walked right out in front of me on the college campus in the dark.

Overkill maybe... but what a nice motor.

By the way... what are the #'s for on each model... I could have bought a #8 but I thought it was too light lifting the box... so I bought the other one they had which was a #12... the one in the video is a 42 and yours is a 22? what is the difference... is it universal from one grinder brand to another?

Last edited by clkeiper; December 8, 2015 at 08:44 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2015   #28
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

carolyn - there are charts online for the different sizes. #8 is smaller than your #12, and #22 is larger. I know you probably found them by now.

We have a 22cf chest freezer that is almost always practically full with game and fish and are considering canning the next few deer, but haven't quite needed to yet. Chest freezers at my father's and brother's houses have alleviated that somewhat.

We do straight venison burger, usually a 3/32" plate, just one pass through a #12. We do a pretty good job of not including bloodshot meat or bone chips. This get saved in 1 lb white freezer paper blocks.

For burgers on the grill, I take a 1 lb pack of deer meat and add a dollop of bacon grease from the fridge, forming three patties. Add the usual salt pepper worchestire and grill on a vegetable tray to keep the patties from falling through the grates. Now that I wrote this, I think I may have to light the grill for dinner...

This year I bought a 3/4" plate and that makes some awesome chili meat. It also makes great supplemental dog food from the clean scrap.

Other than straight burger we do game sausage. It is italian sausage made from 2 parts venison/ 1 part pork tenderloin. That is about the cheapest thing we can buy, it still comes down below $2 on sale. That we freeze as 1 lb bulk as well. It is by far the best sausage I've ever had, and not greasy in the least. The recipe calls for 1:1 game and fatty pork, but that much pork is not needed. Sausage takes substantially more work since it calls for a 3/4" cube and overnight soak in marinade. I do at least 20lb batches, so the freezer smells strongly of spices for a good 2 weeks afterward.

Strangely, the times we have tried mixing beef and venison, it has not come out well. That said, I am not a fan of beef in general. Too much money and not good for you. Burgers on the grill is about all we use it for anymore.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2015   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I went to my daughters final ( an acting class) at college tonight up near Cleveland... I was going 20mph and almost hit 4 FOUR count em... FOUR deer. they walked right out in front of me on the college campus in the dark.

Overkill maybe... but what a nice motor.

By the way... what are the #'s for on each model... I could have bought a #8 but I thought it was too light lifting the box... so I bought the other one they had which was a #12... the one in the video is a 42 and yours is a 22? what is the difference... is it universal from one grinder brand to another?
I had no idea you asked a question until just now.

Overkill maybe.
If you would have asked me I would have suggested the #22.
But this all depends on what you plan to do with one.

As was said above the higher the number the larger the plate.
And yes for the most part they are universal except for a few exceptions.

Here is the run down on the plate size and the numbers.
The number doesn't mean MM either because a number 22 is 83 MM in diameter.
#5 =2 1/8 diameter.
#8 =2 1/2 diameter.
# 10 / 12 =2 3/4 diameter.
# 20 /22 = 3 1/4 diameter.
# 32 = 3 7/8 diameter.
Right now I am looking for two smaller plates to extrude spaghetti.
I might just make them.
I already have 7 plates

Link.
http://www.kascosharptech.com/cmss_f...pecs-large.jpg
Old December 22, 2015   #30
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks jrinPa... I was wondering if a 8/12/22 were universal sizes. I figured, like wire the there was a graduated size and was each number was a specific size or motor power?

Thanks Worth.