Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 4 Days Ago   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default To all you Dwarf growers out there.

I live in Southern Nevada that has one of the harshest climates in the US. Our summer’s are brutally hot (110-115 degrees, and our cooler weather Sept, Oct, Nov ranges between 45-70 degrees.

I have been considering trying to plant a few dwarf plants in five gallon pales in late August to see if I could grow some tomatoes in Sept-November. I normally grow tomatoes (if I can get them to produce before the brutal summer heat, but usually fail with most beside Celebrity or Early Girl. But as they are relatively tasteless and I would so like to grow some medium size heirloom tomatoes (preferably black) that tast relatively good in comparison to the above mentioned, I am looking for some ideas.

If I used 5 gallon pails, and the plants weren’t too tall, I might be able to take them in at night, come November. I couldn’t do this with the 15 gallon containers I now use, as I am an elderly older woman, who is not very strong these days.

People on the forum here have mentioned Tasmanian Chocholate, Rosella Purple and most recently Arctic Rose as for it’s very compact size. I am not sure how big Tasmanian Chocholate or Rosella Purple get, but if not so small are there any others that you might recommend for me to consider? I might add I am not a fan of cherry types, at least not to the extent of having to lift them daily in and out of the house.
schill93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #2
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Our neighbor is an elderly woman but she still loves to garden. My wife and I help a bit, but one idea she had has turned her...and our lives around. She has 3 earth boxes, and asked me to help get them in coaster wagons because dragging them in and out of the garage was getting a bit much. It didn't take her long to discover her "garden on wheels" allowed her to cheat mother nature a week or two in the spring and in the fall. I have since built a trellis bolted to one of the wagons for her to enable her to grow full-sized indeterminate tomatoes.

Because I'm a heartless thief, I stole the idea, except I made my own "earth buckets" and grow hot peppers in them. But her discovery...that she can wheel her babies inside when it gets cool was the thing I really filched.

Would it help you?

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Old 4 Days Ago   #3
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Thank you eyolf for your reply. Actually I have some earth boxes, though I never bought the rollers for them at the time. However I have some stairs involved, so unfortunately I don't think they would work for me, but very much appreciate your suggestion.
schill93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #4
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I have great ideas but I have to get permission from this company first, Amen!

I will do it next week.

But that is a nice story "Eyolf" as we must help our senior citizens, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I have great ideas but I have to get permission from this company first, Amen!

I will do it next week.

But that is a nice story "Eyolf" as we must help our senior citizens, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #6
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

I have only grown Purple Heart dwarf and I like it very much. It usually produces a good quantity of tomatoes and they taste delicious. I find it needs a very sturdy staking since the plant can be pulled down when full of tomatoes.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote