Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2017   #1
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default Building a new fence

It would be much easier if we could find all the information needed regarding fence building and our county codes online. I can only find snippets of information and it isn't complete, so it doesn't answer all of my questions.

I did however find out that we now have to put up what they call a "Rot Board" at the bottom of the fence and below the vertical fence boards. That's a new one on me and it's probably a good one because now that means the fence will be 6'8" high instead of the usual 6'. I like this idea because our yard is higher than the church behind us. It slopes into their yard so even though the fence is a 6' fence, I who is only 5' 3" can almost see over it without even standing on my tip toes. It would sure be nice to have a taller fence.

This poses a problem though. Our fence line is only a small portion of fence line with all of our neighbors. Ours is about 125' long and their are at least 4 houses with the same length and height of fence. So, if we build this fence according to what the county says has to happen, we will be taller than our neighbors. I am not so sure the neighborhood will be happy about that, especially the church since our fence is right smack in the middle of their lot line.

No information online about whether we can use screws or if we have to use nails. Hubby wants to use screws. No info on the type of concrete required to set the posts or even how deep the posts must be. I have other questions so I had to put a call into the city to find out the answers so I wait for a return call.

They could make it so much easier on us if they would just tell us what is required. But maybe the reason for this is to make sure you call and get that permit you have to pay for to do the work.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #2
Kpr121
Tomatovillian™

I agree that municipalities make it unclear so that you call and have to talk to the code enforcement officer/building inspector, and ultimately pay the dues. The lack of definitive requirements also creates ambiguity as to what people are and are not allowed to do. At an old house, I received phone calls and letters from our code enforcement when I began building a simple 2 1/2 ft aesthetic garden fence, after some back and forth I eventually caved and just paid their $$$ fee, while my neighbor built a 5-6 ft high retaining wall with absolutely no permit and based on his words zero bugging from the city. Which of those two construction items warrant more oversight?
Kpr121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #3
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpr121 View Post
I agree that municipalities make it unclear so that you call and have to talk to the code enforcement officer/building inspector, and ultimately pay the dues. The lack of definitive requirements also creates ambiguity as to what people are and are not allowed to do. At an old house, I received phone calls and letters from our code enforcement when I began building a simple 2 1/2 ft aesthetic garden fence, after some back and forth I eventually caved and just paid their $$$ fee, while my neighbor built a 5-6 ft high retaining wall with absolutely no permit and based on his words zero bugging from the city. Which of those two construction items warrant more oversight?
Wow, that is ridiculous. I'd be fighting till they gave me the money back on that one.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 7, 2017   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://library.municode.com/tx/bast...CRE_41.3FEREAR

I live in SF20

Plenty of people here have barbed wire and all sorts of stuff they done care.
It says we are supposed to have sidewalks and we dont have that.

The point is you should be able top find something like this where you live on line.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 7, 2017 at 03:57 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, our municode doesn't give me anything for fence building, everything else, but a fence.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 7, 2017   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
It would be much easier if we could find all the information needed regarding fence building and our county codes online. I can only find snippets of information and it isn't complete, so it doesn't answer all of my questions.

I did however find out that we now have to put up what they call a "Rot Board" at the bottom of the fence and below the vertical fence boards. That's a new one on me and it's probably a good one because now that means the fence will be 6'8" high instead of the usual 6'. I like this idea because our yard is higher than the church behind us. It slopes into their yard so even though the fence is a 6' fence, I who is only 5' 3" can almost see over it without even standing on my tip toes. It would sure be nice to have a taller fence.

This poses a problem though. Our fence line is only a small portion of fence line with all of our neighbors. Ours is about 125' long and their are at least 4 houses with the same length and height of fence. So, if we build this fence according to what the county says has to happen, we will be taller than our neighbors. I am not so sure the neighborhood will be happy about that, especially the church since our fence is right smack in the middle of their lot line.

No information online about whether we can use screws or if we have to use nails. Hubby wants to use screws. No info on the type of concrete required to set the posts or even how deep the posts must be. I have other questions so I had to put a call into the city to find out the answers so I wait for a return call.

They could make it so much easier on us if they would just tell us what is required. But maybe the reason for this is to make sure you call and get that permit you have to pay for to do the work.
https://www.miamidade.gov/permits/li...fence-wood.pdf

This is our code here in s Florida.We have one of the strongest designed for the fact we are in a hurricane zone.Iused the star(t25 self drilling screws).I ran a complete top rail(2x4inclined at 10 degrees to stuff off leaves,standing water.Candle dip the bottoms of 4x4s,past the weed eater line,weedeaters cut and start wood detereation.Use thru bolts at horizontal/vertical joins.Use a asphalt type coating on anything below grade or encased in concrete,the mix in concrete will eat the wood.If pouring Crete always make a trapizoid top ,as to slug water away and not let pool to encourage wet rot in the material.Have fun,good luck...Fences make good neighbors.You know "between me you and a fencepost" maybe a low spot somewhere.ps if you use the dog eared pickets,hand pick for knots and those splits.Stack nice and seal the bottoms of those pickets,the drip of water will suck up in the bottom of pickets and start the rots.always leave about three inches above that sod line so the WEEDEATER GLIDES UNDER AND NOT TEAR UP YOUR NEWLY PLACED WOOD. At the same stack you can seal the tops of those dog ears.These pre maintenance measures have worked for me as to prolong some of those I have built.Simpson ties have some good additional traps,angle materials,all rated,galvanized .This will give you more windstorm.Looks like you might qualify under"inland" versus the other,your Texas insurance agents would know more than the podunks who work at the "city" same here.

Last edited by kurt; June 7, 2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Spelin
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kurt, that's pretty much how hubby is going to build the fence. Minus the bolts. I'll have to show him that. We follow building codes for Miami Dade County, this city is just useless to put the info out there though.

I did get an answer from the city to all of my questions and then in the end they said to contact my windstorm insurance company to find out what they require. What??? Dumb city should know what is required. We are in hurricane zone for the Coastal Bend Texas. I am only about 5 miles from the ocean. So, I'll be calling my insurance agent tomorrow to find out what they require for coverage.

~Margaret Atwood~