Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 9, 2018   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Early determinate tomatoes for the South

That actually taste like something. Ok annnnd go!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

How about Black Krim,Lime Green Salad tomato. Marglobe is good,too.
I may do a few dwarfs or determinates in pots early and wrap some row cover or net over them to help with stink bugs and leaf footed bugs. That’s been my biggest issue since we moved here is the bugs,especially once it starts to get hot.
Maybe I just need to get my tomatoes done early like I did in AZ and make room for the melons/ hot weather stuff?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

That's my goal. I find it's better to start early, plant early, and short season stuff does best. Succession is also key. This year I'm going to do 50% determinates to avoid bugs and have more production early. I could just grow Mountain Fresh and the like, but I was hoping to find a less firm and tasty variety. Black Krim didn't seem to like the heat here. Marglobe production was minimal. Haven't tried LGS.
Old January 10, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
That's my goal. I find it's better to start early, plant early, and short season stuff does best. Succession is also key. This year I'm going to do 50% determinates to avoid bugs and have more production early. I could just grow Mountain Fresh and the like, but I was hoping to find a less firm and tasty variety. Black Krim didn't seem to like the heat here. Marglobe production was minimal. Haven't tried LGS.
I wonder if Momotaro is early. I've never grown it but everyone who grows it says they love the taste and it's almost bulletproof because it's got that hybrid vigor.
Meanwhile you are correct you do need my Not Chocolate Stripes. That one is going to be a big seller.
Unfortunately it is an indeterminate but it does produce a lot of tomatoes and early. And you can save seeds.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I wonder if Momotaro is early. I've never grown it but everyone who grows it says they love the taste and it's almost bulletproof because it's got that hybrid vigor.
Meanwhile you are correct you do need my Not Chocolate Stripes. That one is going to be a big seller.
Unfortunately it is an indeterminate but it does produce a lot of tomatoes and early. And you can save seeds.
Funny you mention that Marsha as I am going to try Momotaro as my pink slicer this year. I just cant get consistent production with non-hybrids. NCS sounds perfect, I don't mind indet. I just need more production and tbh it is getting to be to much work to spray 100 indet heirlooms every other day her in summer.

Looking at more det reds it looks like Amelia is a good one here (recommended by UGA/Clemson) but is mid season. I'm also looking at several here

https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/seeds/...ly-season-red/

but them being in Oregon worries me b/c cold weather Indet. tomatoes do terribly here. It may not matter for an early det. though, I just don't know.
Old January 10, 2018   #6
natural
Tomatovillian™

Since you requested determinate, Taxi is a good yellow. I'm sure you have grown it, but thought I would mention it. I used to grow Daybreak (red -large, 65 days fantastic flavor) and OrangeBlossom from Johnnysseeds. Breeder discontinued Daybreak, but maybe you can find it. Orange Blossom appears to be replaced by BHN-871, which is later and larger. I wonder if you can still find OrangeBlossom.

Not sure about the fruit size you require, but the project dwarfs Pink Passion and Golden Heart are very early and produce very well for dwarfs. It appears that Dwarf Arctic Rose has good fruit size and great production but have not grown that one.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2018   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Maglia Rosa, Cole, and Sol Guld (I was misspelling that sol gold for a while) have all been good to me. I have an early red saladette called Aura that I like, and another early red called Agatha. I think both have Soviet origins.

Mat-Su Express is just as early as most of my determinates. I also like Babushkin Potseluy. It reminds me of a yellow Mat-Su. 100 Pudov is another early variety that was a good market tomato for me. It has a unique wrinkled shoulder look.

Someone on here shared a variety they call Taos Trail with me. It shows a lot of promise as an all-purpose red tomato for market. It was fairly compact, can't remember if it was determinate or not. The flavor was as good as Big Beef and the yield was excellent.

And yes, I have seeds if anyone wants some. Be advised, I also have soil disease. I don't seem to have it in my seeds, though. They are processed in Oxy Clean, and I sell and give away a couple thousand plants every spring, all to good reviews.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
Since you requested determinate, Taxi is a good yellow. I'm sure you have grown it, but thought I would mention it. I used to grow Daybreak (red -large, 65 days fantastic flavor) and OrangeBlossom from Johnnysseeds. Breeder discontinued Daybreak, but maybe you can find it. Orange Blossom appears to be replaced by BHN-871, which is later and larger. I wonder if you can still find OrangeBlossom.

Not sure about the fruit size you require, but the project dwarfs Pink Passion and Golden Heart are very early and produce very well for dwarfs. It appears that Dwarf Arctic Rose has good fruit size and great production but have not grown that one.

Bill
Thanks Bill, Yeah I've grown Taxi for 3 years now but looking for something that taste more...exciting. Going to try a variety called Native Sun this year. I will look around for Daybreak and Orange Blossom I actually found. It has been dehybridized and renamed. https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/produc...-glad-organic/
I will look at the dwarfs mentioned. I grew Arctic Rose last year and wasnt impressed, but I only had 1 plant so the jury is still out. I'm also growing Big Hill a bi-color det that Joseph Lofthouse bred. Now that I think about it I should have bought all of his det varieties.

Bill I wanted to add that I see you grow over 250 varieties of tomatoes (which is amazing!) and your only 3 hours from me, and I assume you have that red Georgia clay like me, so I'd be very interested to hear which heirlooms are your best sellers/producers, and really just glean any wisdom from you that you care to share. Especially your growing practices. Thanks for the trade and all the rest!
Old January 11, 2018   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Maglia Rosa, Cole, and Sol Guld (I was misspelling that sol gold for a while) have all been good to me. I have an early red saladette called Aura that I like, and another early red called Agatha. I think both have Soviet origins.

Mat-Su Express is just as early as most of my determinates. I also like Babushkin Potseluy. It reminds me of a yellow Mat-Su. 100 Pudov is another early variety that was a good market tomato for me. It has a unique wrinkled shoulder look.

Someone on here shared a variety they call Taos Trail with me. It shows a lot of promise as an all-purpose red tomato for market. It was fairly compact, can't remember if it was determinate or not. The flavor was as good as Big Beef and the yield was excellent.

And yes, I have seeds if anyone wants some. Be advised, I also have soil disease. I don't seem to have it in my seeds, though. They are processed in Oxy Clean, and I sell and give away a couple thousand plants every spring, all to good reviews.
Thanks Cole, I would like to try....Cole I cant find it for sale anywhere. I will need to research the others. I think I'm just going to start breeding my own early det's. I'm thinking I could cross Big Hill with with a few other early reds and blacks and go from there. Most seeds I get from cooler climates just don't do well here. As soon as it gets hot, which can be as early as mid April, they drop flowers and in general stop producing/growing. I could grow R&R hybrid dets ofc (and heck I probably should) but I don't want to grow tomatoes I wouldn't eat.
Old January 11, 2018   #10
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Maglia Rosa
I agree... it's early and has great flavor.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018   #11
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
I agree... it's early and has great flavor.
I also agree. I am growing at least 10 MR's this season. My customers favorite tomato and I think if I had 1k pounds every week I could sell it all.
Old January 11, 2018   #12
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I also agree. I am growing at least 10 MR's this season. My customers favorite tomato and I think if I had 1k pounds every week I could sell it all.
This may be sacrilegious, but there is a University of Florida hybrid that uses Maglia Rosa as one of its parents (called 'Garden Gem'). It tastes pretty much just like Maglia Rosa, but the fruit are a little bigger (but a bit more round than oval): http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html

Commercially, it might worth at least a trial in your garden.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018   #13
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Doug View Post
This may be sacrilegious, but there is a University of Florida hybrid that uses Maglia Rosa as one of its parents (called 'Garden Gem'). It tastes pretty much just like Maglia Rosa, but the fruit are a little bigger (but a bit more round than oval): http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html

Commercially, it might worth at least a trial in your garden.
SACRILEGE! Lol jk. I've seen it, but I feel like I would be betraying Fred. Plus MR is prettier and the best thing is that it grows like a bush. Thats the thing about growing maters. Once customers find one they drive to market to buy, you pretty much have to grow it
Old January 13, 2018   #14
natural
Tomatovillian™

BVV,

Thanks for the heads up on the Orange You Glad. I am tempted to try it, but nothing that I source from the Northwest ever performs well for me. However, it IS 10 days earlier than BHN-871 so.....
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #15
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hi John - I may have been the one to share Taos Trail with you. It is in fact determinate. I got it from Val McMurray back in '09. I also have seeds for Taos Trail 1, same description: large round red, determinate. That one may have been something they were working on...