Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 7, 2006   #1
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default Thinking out of the box

Although I have never tried container growing before, this idea just came to me which I want to try out next growing season.

There is a place called “the Container Store” where they sell all kinds of cool stuff. I saw this item:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...3189&CATID=245

It’s a classic looking trashcan except it’s made of translucent plastic, 6 Gallon size.

The idea is to start seedling right inside the can, as the seedling grows, you just keep adding more soil. The can comes with a lid and because it is translucent, it acts like a greenhouse so you can put it outside many weeks before you would normally. By the time the seedling is tall enough to reach the lid, you may not have to worry about the frost anymore. At the end of the season, you can bring it inside for the last of the tomatoes to ripe.

What do you think? Has anyone done this before?

dcarch

dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #2
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Thinking out of the box.

dcarch,
I do something very similiar with all my containers from 2 to 26 gallon but they are black opaque nursery pots or metal/blue or white plastic 1/2 - 55 gal barrels.

I cover the top with 18" wide clear food wrap film and punch several 1/4" holes in it for minimal air circulation which can be peeled back further for additional air circulation when needed.

I start by filling each container about 20% full with soil, plant the tender transplant, and then fill in the soil to about 2" from the comtainer top as the mater plant grows. The method does three things here in sw NM:
1) The clear plastic wrap acts as a mini-greenhouse in the early spring (April 1 here in sw NM) and retains the daytime heat , as our night temps in early April can get as low as 25F. The clear plastic wrap comes off completely about May 1 when all danger of frost has past.By mid May the plants have grown over the container top and are big enough to withstand some wind.

2) The container protects the young plant from the 30-40 mph killer winds we get here during April and early May. The blowing sand can cut the plant down at the base like a knife!!

3. The gradual filling in the soil encourages fibrous root growth along the entire stem for better nutrient and water uptake.

I can't bring 100 containers in the house at season's end but the maters ripen ok on cardboard flats in an unheated room till Christmas.

Much cheaper than translucent garbage buckets I'll bet!!!

Hope this low-tech, inexpensive container method helps.

Best regards.
Spudleaf Willie
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2006   #3
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Spudleaf Willie,

Your way is very interesting. I am happy to hear that you have done something similar. This will mean that with a transluscent container which will let in a lot more sun light, it may even be better.

BTW, The trashcan is about $12.00 each.

I do something very similiar with all my containers from 2 to 26 gallon but they are black opaque nursery pots or metal/blue or white plastic 1/2 - 55 gal barrels.

55 gal barrels! we call them swimming pools here!! :wink:

I think everyone would like to see some pictures.

dcarch
Old July 8, 2006   #4
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Re:thinking out of the box

dcarch,
No 55gal "swimming pools" out here. Just able to put 6 big indeterminate plants in a single 26 gal half barrel, besides it saves on space and lets me grow more than one plant of a single variety or when doing crosses having both parents in the same container makes it easier to cross pollinate.

Sorry, no pics yet. Just got an Olympus EVOLT-500 8 megapixel camera and found out I have to buy a new computer as my old Mac cant run the OS 10 operating system necessary for the new camera software.

Will have the new computer around Labor Day as I have to take pics of all 103 different varities of spudleafs, their leaves, and cross sections of ripe fruit for my new website now under construction.

Regards,
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2006   #5
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Nice camera. I hope you have a macro lens for it.

My camera has a 6GB memory chip, which will allow me to take 10,000+ pictures.

Look forward to seeing your WEB site.

dcarch