Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 20, 2018   #1
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Default 10b Varieties?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the entire tomato world, this being only my second season. I apologize, therefore, if this topic has been beaten to death, but here goes:

I live in the 10b zone, Los Angeles, CA, and am not clear on if certain varieties are better suited to a specific climate zone, or if it's simply that areas with colder, shorter growing seasons need to be more careful with choice of varieties. We tend to have cooler, overcast Spring and early Summer, giving over to a hot "humidish" middle Summer, into a blazing hot late Summer.

Are there some great tasting heirlooms that are specifically suited to my climate which you can recommend? Looking to put in six plants, each different, this year. Hoping for beefsteak, slicers, cherries and all around salad types.

Thanks!
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #2
shyxlilfox
Tomatovillian™

Default also in 10b

I've had good luck with the following plants throughout the season (*produced through ridiculous heat):

1. Sungold*
2. Girl Girl's Weird Thing*
3. JD's Special C-Tex*
4. Delicious*
5. Donskoi*
6. Prue
7. Stump of the World - stingy producer for me, but it was in a bad spot
8. Rebel Yell*
9. Paul Robeson - produced decently earlier in the season, but died by the time it high mid to high 90s.
10. Riesentraube
11. Martino's Roma*

I planted about 1/2 in Mid-March last year, and the rest about a month later. Some ripe fruits were ready by end of May. Everything was dead or near dead by August.

hope this helps!

ETA: I garden in south Los Angeles County/North Orange County about 3 miles from Buena Park. If you're in the same area, then we might have the same microclimate. Let me know if you need seeds to start via pm.

Last edited by shyxlilfox; March 22, 2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: additional info
shyxlilfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #3
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Default 10b zone tomatoes

I appreciate the list. Thanks and good luck this season!
Old March 21, 2018   #4
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Florida 10B, so don't know how similar it is compared to Los Angeles, but these seems to be good producers with 'generally' less diseases for me.

Black Cherry / Chocolate Cherry / Lemon Drop
Blush
Cherokee Purple
Coastal Pride Orange
Dragon's Eye
Garden Peach
Green Giant
Jaune Flamme
White Beauty
Zapotec
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #5
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

I am about 50 miles east of you in Fontana I always have GGWT and JD's tax in the garden. Our here it gets in the upper 90,s to 100,s in the summer those 2 still produce good even in the heat. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2018   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Since it’s the wife and I only,all the cherrys,predominantly the blacks/Browns/mini Kumatos do real well .The minis can take the heat,the larger rounds tend to explode in my heat,looks good,until you try to handle them.Today I saw truckloads of green maters,headed up north and beyond to mega packing houses.They turn in about 5 7 days.Mostly the million variety’s of our classic Homestead Red.
Old March 22, 2018   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Good luck !
To my understanding zone numbers mostly apply to winter/winter hardiness and has limited use for summer gardening. For example my summer heat here in zone 8a , NC, can be as harsh as zone 10b in southern California. But we have much shorter season for summer crops than in Cali.
I have gardened in Seattle , WA Atlanta , GA and here in this part of NC all in zone 8a. But they are all different as far as tomatoes and peppers growing is concerned.
Any how, there are heat tolerant varieties. In generall small fruited varieties seem to do better. Like Sungold , Stupice ... did well all summer for me. The key in my case is try to have an early start so that by the time July/August heat arrives have already harvested quite a bit and there are plenty of green ones on the vines. Aside from diseases, what heat does is messing up the pollination process. You can have lush plants but no new fruits setting in high heat and humidity.JMO

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #8
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Good luck !
To my understanding zone numbers mostly apply to winter/winter hardiness and has limited use for summer gardening. For example my summer heat here in zone 8a , NC, can be as harsh as zone 10b in southern California. But we have much shorter season for summer crops than in Cali....
I appreciate that information. So now I understand the "zones" more. We have a very long growing season here, the only real problem being the very dry, hot end of summer which can hurt things. I'm 10 miles from the ocean which keeps the thick marine layer mostly off of us, but it's cool enough to keep us from cooking too very much as opposed to more inland or in the valleys.

Here's what I planted last weekend:

Jaune Flamme
Cherokee Purple
Earl of Edgecombe
Black Prince
Sungold**
Celebrity**

These are the only two non-heirlooms, and I put them in for insurance purposes, figuring if the rest of them do poorly I'm still likely to get some toms from these guys.
Old March 27, 2018   #9
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Oops!
Old March 27, 2018   #10
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

While I’m in Vermont and cannot speak from personal experience, I have a son who lives just north of San Diego, about two blocks from the ocean. What he has found out from his pretty extensive Earthbox gardening is that timing is more important than variety. He has just set out his tomato starts, and will have another batch going for fall planting. And it isn’t the heat that stops his tomatoes, but fungal diseases, although his proximity to the ocean may have something to do with increased humidity as a contributing cause of that.
All that being said, he reports that Amazon Chocolate has been his best tomato so far, both for amazing flavor and productivity. His second favorite is German Pink. I sent him seeds for the Amazon Chocolate, but he got the German Pink from a nursery there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 27, 2018   #11
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I just can't get over the tittle of this thread. Every time it pops up under "new posts" I think it says 10 lb tomatoes. Catches me every time, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #12
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Ah yes, the "Really Big Beef" variety!
Old March 27, 2018   #13
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I just can't get over the tittle of this thread. Every time it pops up under "new posts" I think it says 10 lb tomatoes. Catches me every time, lol.

Man, what a BLT that would be !!!!

Gee, think of the tomato cage you'd need???
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2018   #14
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

1 Tomato would make a whole pot of sauce, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10b , los angeles varieties