Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 8, 2017   #1
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Curtis Cheek

I have to dedicate a single thread for just this variety because I have a feeling it's one of best tomato I've ever taste, so far. They are called Curtis Cheek. Okay I have not tasted many beefsteaks so far, mainly Pink & Black Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Delicious, ARGG, Kellog's Breakfast.

I grew one plant in a 10gal container, almost 30 fruits so far. The fruits aren't as big as I had hope, mostly several ounces. The seedling is thin at first and needs from proper care, it produces somewhat late but strong when it does. It took me a few tries to grow it, eventually successfully in container with fresh potting mix.

When you slice them, they look very unassuming, almost like just another sauce tomato. The texture is what I find special about it, very smooth and gel like, best eaten in slices. All the fruits are consistently sweet, but not overtly. Not many seeds. It's a very balanced taste, very low acidity if any, not something that jumps out or impressed immediately. After finishing them, I find myself licking the juice that is left on my plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161126_104304_HDR.jpg (443.8 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170211_163539.jpg (526.3 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170218_110052.jpg (972.4 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170301_174347.jpg (579.8 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170301_202520.jpg (690.7 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170303_181310.jpg (552.7 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170306_0057.JPG (663.0 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170308_200610.jpg (603.8 KB, 478 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 8, 2017 at 10:28 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I often decide whether or not to grow a variety based on it's story. Personally, I would not give this place a penny after reading this -- http://renaissancefarms.org/healingh...-tomato-seeds/
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #3
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I can see how some people have a problem with how he acquire the seed, though I don't wish this to turn into another "87yo seeds" thread.
Old March 8, 2017   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Renaming a known tomato he stole from an old man.... classy.
good to know

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #5
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Just want to say I don't support stealing if people perceive it that way. I just want to talk about the tomato as it is which I enjoyed, I don't know if that is supposed to make me a bad person. Since this is going a be an issue for some people I rather have the thread closed than to get into a heated discussion like the other thread.
Old March 8, 2017   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Im sure the tomato is great. commentary on the source is connected and relevant however and important more so in hoping someone can correctly identify this tomato because whatever it is, it should not be named after the mucous membranes of the liar that stole it to sell.
So many little tomato pirates out there. who knew.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Just want to say I don't support stealing if people perceive it that way. I just want to talk about the tomato as it is which I enjoyed, I don't know if that is supposed to make me a bad person. Since this is going a be an issue for some people I rather have the thread closed than to get into a heated discussion like the other thread.

My comment was nothing against you, it was entirely directed at the one and only seller of these seeds.

I've never heard of this vendor before, and the story did not give me a good feeling. I have since poked around the site a bit more and found many other varieties that I can find no other information on anywhere else. I think it's unusual for one seemingly small vendor to have that many "previously unknown/unreleased" varieties for sale.

And he (?) also sells seeds of some Dwarf Project varieties without so much as a mention of their background.

Again, not directed at you, but towards a questionable vendor.
Old March 8, 2017   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Have you grown Annas Russian before to compare? It looks the same to me, but many hearts do.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #9
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I grew Curtis Cheek last year. I got seeds in a trade. I agree that it has a fishy background and would not purchase from this vendor. My tomatoes were much larger than yours. About a pound, so perhaps it likes a cooler climate. It did taste very good, but was not up there with the best of the season. I would say a 7.5 out of 10 and quite productive. I did like the tomato both fresh and for sauce. I would grow this one again.
Old March 9, 2017   #10
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Have you grown Annas Russian before to compare? It looks the same to me, but many hearts do.
I have not. Though the seller said it isn't and is also selling Anna Russian. I am willing to grow out an Anna Russian next season to make a personal comparison, though with the reception going on not sure I will discuss this one too much.

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 9, 2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old March 9, 2017   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I have not. Though the seller said it isn't and is also selling Anna Russian. I am willing to grow out an Anna Russian next season to make a personal comparison, though with the reception going on not sure I will discuss this one too much.

Anything that might shed some light on the actual identity of this variety would probably be very much welcomed.

The bias here is only against a potentially questionable seed vendor who may be duping unknowing customers into paying a lot of money for seeds of a well known variety by giving it a new name and a unique story. I think we can all agree that $3.50 for five seeds is pretty steep!
Old March 9, 2017   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah Max nobody is attacking you. Just saying it is likely a known heart.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #13
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Yes the seed price is expensive, I guess with the good reviewing it's getting (including from me) the sellers charges more for it.

I wouldn't mind finding out the difference for myself so I could give Anna Russian a try. I just checked Tatiana's photos and its a bit difference. The thing I'm afraid of is if I do post the results, I'll just be seen as a poster child promoting it which I don't want to be perceived that way (especially if it turns out I like Curtis Cheek more), which will compromise my posting here. I came to Tomatoville because of the friendly community, often there are arguments at GardenWeb and I wanted to avoid that. I can see seed sources being a serious issue for some people and I feel like I might have touched a hot topic. The way I saw the 87yo seeds thread goes down I didn't want to be a part of it.

Last edited by maxjohnson; March 9, 2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old March 9, 2017   #14
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the photos and the review! I had read about CC on a facebook group, and while the vendor seems like an amiable and sincere fellow, I did have an uneasy feeling about how he aqcuired the seeds. On one hand, he caused no harm to the man who refused to share - on the other hand, I would not like to grow seeds that were not willingly and enthusiastically shared.
It's the question of consent and ethics..
But, he probably found the taste so irresistible he just had to save the seed. I might grown them for my personal use, if it really tasted amazing - but selling them is really stretching it.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #15
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I grew up around Pittsburgh. You stumble into someone's backyard garden, they're going to beat the crap out of you, and THEN call the cops. You'd not be getting any seed. So, I'm calling BS on this story.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote