Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 20, 2019   #346
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Sure looks like TSWV to me. I found another infected plant two days ago when leaning and lowering the tomatoes. I would have seen it sooner if I had gotten around to lowering it when I should. It is a Rebel Yell and it has produced a lot of fruit so far but only has a couple of medium sized green ones on it now. I will leave it and hope the remaining fruits start blushing. So far not bad with only four plants getting TSWV by mid June.

I set out my last batch of grafted plants about a week ago and will not graft anymore this year so I hope those plants will give me a few tomatoes in the late summer and fall. It has just been too hot for grafting in my greenhouse and I now have over 60 plants out in the garden now with less than half of them at producing size.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019   #347
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

Found another yesterday afternoon while i was spraying. It was a red barn. What has really surprised me is the performance of mule team. That plant really likes our garden and I'll bet each vines has 15-20 big fruits and looks the most healthy!
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #348
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

So, I don't think I have TSWV but just thrip damage. I had a patch of cilantro growing along the edge of the high tunnel that was supposed to be for beneficial insects only I think it was hosting thrips. That is where all of the damage was concentrated to. WAAAAAHHH!!!!! so I cut it all down and then sprayed the whole patch with an insecticide. I haven't seen any more fruit that looks like the pictures I was seeing for TSWV either. I never thought about my beneficial flowers being a host for non beneficials.
Old April 5, 2020   #349
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

Here we go! Just found a baby w TSW. The cut worms are still laying some down and TSW shows up.....
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2020   #350
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
Here we go! Just found a baby w TSW. The cut worms are still laying some down and TSW shows up.....
I hate to hear that. I'm in south Alabama so I guess I need to start watching for the signs. My tomatoes have only been out about two weeks and are about 15 inches tall and just starting to show some blooms. When I noticed the blooms the other day I checked several to see if any thrips were in them but didn't see any. TSWV was much worse on my bell peppers last year than my tomatoes. Good thing I planted a lot of bells last year because I lost at least 20 to TSWV but luckily had few problems with BLS.
If one thing doesn't get em down here something else will.

Bill
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #351
Snozzcumber
Tomatovillian™

I am in South Georgia and have what looks to be my first casualty of TSWV. I have a pepper plant that looks suspicious as well. May go ahead and remove it too.
Snozzcumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #352
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

First time for me, or at least first time I recognized it. Last year I learned to recognize thrips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200518_145826.jpg (212.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200518_134148.jpg (203.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200518_134229.jpg (169.8 KB, 27 views)
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #353
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I knew it would happen but never thought I would be lucky enough to last until the last week of May before losing some tomatoes to TSWV. Yesterday I pulled three plants two were very young plants only in the ground a little over two weeks. The really bad loss was one of the best looking tomatoes in the garden and was over six feet tall and loaded with fruit. I usually don't pull a large plant like that but it went from a few specks on some of the upper leaves to half the plant wilted in just a few days so I knew it wouldn't last until the fruit ripened. It is rare for such a large healthy plant to fail so fast but it does happen.

Bill
Old 5 Days Ago   #354
b54red
Tomatovillian™

One more definite this morning and two more possibles. I may be able to replace these since they are between 2 and 3 feet tall so maybe a 16 inch replacement will work in my lean and lower system. I'll try and find out.

Bill