Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 17, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default Doubling Up in Containers

If we look at the POV that dirt is just the medium/means for roots/water/nutrition, dare I double up in 15G pots. Just thinking/looking at AKMarks setup - in which he doubles up in 5G containers. Granted, to some degree, he is in a controlled enviroment.

For me, it's 15G fabric pots , outdoors. I was not planning to grow as many this year, but due to Marsha's incredible generosity, I'm trialing some.

So here is the list that I'm considering doubling up in 15G containers.
Whaddya say, yay or nay.

- Mat Su
- Pruden Purple
- PBTD
-GGWT

-Reif
-Wes
-SG

Granted, I've alway planted single plants in a pot and they all fill the entire space and cage - unless I get hit with blight.

So is double up doable / advisable. Or give them space to breath and light ?
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #2
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

It is definitely do-able (Marsha grows 2 per earth box, IIRC). You would have to keep them to 1 or 2 stems max and keep everything well trimmed.

Last edited by TexasTomat0; April 17, 2018 at 04:01 PM.
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

In terms of volume it's doable especially with automatic watering.

Now the second problem is spacing. If you leave them unpruned they'll just grow into one another which is not great. You need a way to train them a certain distance apart. The earthbox is kind of long-ish which is an advantage for this.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #4
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I see what you're saying Zipcode re: the EB.

I just looked it up. The EB's surface foorprint by 29W x13D
Don't know volume

My 15G's are 18" round.

I suppose as a different POV/Approach, is that 2 plants will have *2 roots systems*. Prune the stems so it's manageable but because the root system is feeding ~less~, it might be more productive ?
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Well, the root system will be more or less proportional with top growth from my experience.
So prune more means less roots as well. Earthbox has 15 gal afaik.

2 plants pruned to one stem will do great in 15 gal.

Will that produce more or less than one unpruned plant? Well, I don't know, you can always test, but you get to try two different varieties.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #6
hiker_
Tomatovillian™

I've grown two per 10G rectangular Earthbox-type container. I didn't like the result. Where I lived at that time had previously grown potatoes, and it's humid, so I had a lot of disease problems at the best of times, and for me, the tomatoes were just too crowded. But my container was a 10G, so smaller than an actual EB.
hiker_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #7
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I have 3 Scotias in one 5 gallon pail and 3 Early Girls in another. As they are smaller determinate plants and as I am able to water daily I think it should work out. It will be a little 'busy' in the pots when they get bigger but I thought 'What the heck?' My son works at a greenhouse/plant sale place and had brought home 3 flats of tomato starts. I didn't bother with most of them as the season is half over but with those one I thought it was worth the gamble of the buckets ($3.99/ea) and the soil ($14/bag). [All prices Canadian] As the fellow from Hawaii says 'take a chance'. ;-)
Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
If we look at the POV that dirt is just the medium/means for roots/water/nutrition, dare I double up in 15G pots. Just thinking/looking at AKMarks setup - in which he doubles up in 5G containers. Granted, to some degree, he is in a controlled enviroment.

For me, it's 15G fabric pots , outdoors. I was not planning to grow as many this year, but due to Marsha's incredible generosity, I'm trialing some.

So here is the list that I'm considering doubling up in 15G containers.
Whaddya say, yay or nay.

- Mat Su
- Pruden Purple
- PBTD
-GGWT

-Reif
-Wes
-SG

Granted, I've alway planted single plants in a pot and they all fill the entire space and cage - unless I get hit with blight.

So is double up doable / advisable. Or give them space to breath and light ?
I am doubling up in 3 gallon now, I can barely tell any difference between those and some I have in 10 gallon. You guys worry too much, there are thousands of commercial growers doing what we are doing up here, several right in my area too. Use drips, top water, gutter feeds, it does not matter as long as you can keep them watered.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #9
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

From what I understand , on average 1 plant for a 5 gallon bucket, however 2 can't be harmful or degrade the production. So with that said. A 5 gal. Bucket holds 2/3 cubic ft. A 15 gal. Grow bag holds 2.0 cubic ft. If you do the math, 1 - 15 gal grow bag can hold 6 plants (in theory) but hell 4 would do fine.
Aloha
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018   #10
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

I've grown 3 in 20 gallon pots and they do fine, but I did have to single stem them to keep things under control, particularly fungal foliage problems.
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2018   #11
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I double up in 4-5 gal using gutters, plants do great.

I grow 3-5 plants in 20 gal rootpots and the plants do great.

I second Mark's comment on worriment.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote